sweets

  • preeti malik
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 9, 2009
      kele ka halwa
      Ingredients:
      1/2 tsp Nutmeg ground
      1 tablespoon Pure Ghee
      3 medium bananas ripe, peeled and mashed
      1 cup Sugar
      Method:
      Heat ghee in a heavy pan. Add bananas and cook over low heat, stirring to prevent the mixture from sticking. Cook for 10 minutes, or until bananas have browned and resemble soft toffee. Add more ghee as neccessary.
      Add sugar and continue stirring until dissolved.
      Add nutmeg and cardamom; remove from heat.
      Spread halwa into a deep, large plate. Allow it to cool and cut into square
      DOODHACHI KHEER
      Ingredients
      For the dough
      5 cups Milk
      1/2 cup Long-grained rice
      2 tbsp Almond powder
      1 tsp Cardamom powder
      A pinch of Saffron
      1 tin Condensed milk
      Sugar to taste
      Method
      Cook rice in a pressure pan with enough water, till soft. Drain and mash.
      Heat milk to a thick and creamy consistency.
      Add condensed milk, mashed rice, sugar, almond powder, cardamom powder and saffron.
      Cook till creamy.
      Serve hot with puris.
      SINGHARA BURFI
      Ingredients:
      1/2 cup Singhara flour (waterchestnut flour),
      2 tbsp Ghee,
      1/2 cup Khoya,
      3/4 cup sugar,
      1/2 cup water, and
      1/2 tsp cardamom powder.
      Method:

      Stir-fry flour in ghee in a heavy pan to a light pink color over low flame.
      Transfer immediately to another vessel.
      Stir-fry Khoya in the pan till there are no lumps and it is of light pink color.
      Mix cardamom powder and flour to it.
      Set aside for cooling.
      Make a thick syrup by boiling water and sugar till it is of thicker consistency. (One can check for the right consistency by putting a drop of syrup in cold water. If it forms a soft ball than it is of right consistency.)
      Remove the pan from flame.
      Mix the syrup immediately to the Khoya mixture, stirring vigorously to blend it well.
      Grease a plate and transfer the mixture to it.
      Level it and cool it.
      When cool and set, cut into pieces, using a sharp knife.
      The Burfee is ready to serve.
      Makes about 15 to 18 burfis.

      KAJU BURFI
      Ingredients
      1/4 kg. Cashew nuts
      100 gms. Ground sugar
      25 ml Water
      Method

      Grind cashew nuts, and sugar separately.
      Make syrup with sugar and water, boiling only once.
      Add cashew nuts on low heat.
      Mix well.
      Remove from heat on to a smooth surface and roll out (thin) quickly with a rolling pin.
      Cut into squares/diamond shapes.
      BADAM PHIRNI
      Ingredients
      12 nos. Almonds
      4 tablespoons Rice flour
      21/2 cups Milk
      5 tablespoons Sugar
      8 strands Saffron
      1 teaspoon Cardamom powder
      Method
      Blanch and grind the almonds to a fine paste with 1/2 cup milk. Mix together the ground almond paste and rice flour and keep aside.
      Bring the milk to a boil. Add the sugar and stir till the sugar dissolves. Keep aside a tablespoon of hot milk and dissolve the saffron in it. Add the almond-rice mixture into the boiling milk along with the saffron.
      Stir continuously for a few mintues till the milk thickens and attains a custard-like consistency. Sprinkle in the cardamom powder. Take off fire and cool to room temperature.
      Pour into individual bowls, garnish with almonds and pistachios and refrigerate
      GHATHIA

      Ingredients
      1/2 kg Wheat Flour
      11/2 cups Water
      1/2 tsp Ajwain
      2 tbsp Oil
      Oil for frying as required
      Salt according to taste
      Method
      Sieve the wheat flour and rub the oil into it.
      Then add the salt, Ajwain and mix well.
      Make a well in the center, add enough water and knead into a stiff dough.
      Heat oil in a kadhai, to smoking point.
      Roll out the dough into big size Chapati (flat round Indian bread)and cut it into long strips.
      Now put these long strips into the hot oil.
      Remove from the oil when crisp and golden brown in color.
      Drain on tissue paper, cool and store in airtight containers.

      CHANNAR PAYESH

      Ingredients
      1/2 litre Milk
      1 Tin Condensed milk
      2 tablespoons Sugar
      1 cup Water
      2 tablespoons Nuts
      2 tablespoons Raisins
      Method
      Make a thin syrup of the sugar and water. Put the chenna (cottage cheese) in a bowl and add the hot syrup into it, blending it thoroughly.
      Boil milk in a deep bottomed pan.
      Add the condensed milk. Simmer for 1-2 minutes. Cool till just warm.
      Add the milk mixture into the channa, a spoon at a time.
      Mix vigorously to form a homogenous mixture till all the milk is used up.
      Pour into a bowl. Mix in the nuts and raisins. Serve chilled.
      PEDA
      Ingredients
      1/2 kg. Soft white khoya
      2 1/2 cups (approx.300gms) sugar powdered
      1/2 tsp. cardamom powder
      1 tsp. cardamom seeds semi crushed
      1 tbsp. slivered or crushed pistachios
      Method
      Grate khoya with a steel (not iron) grater.Add powdered sugar and mix well.
      Put mixture in a large heavy or nonstick pan. Heat first on high for few minutes.The on slow till done.
      Make sure to stir continuously, while on heat. When mixture thick and gooey, add cardamom.
      Mix well, and take off fire. Allow to cool, gently turning occasionall
      Use cookie moulds, or shape pedas with palms into patty rounds.
      Mix pistachios and cardamom seeds and press a bit on top of each.
      If using moulds, first sprinkle some at bottom. Take some mixture and press into mould. When set well, invert and carefully, unmould.
      Tip:Above is the basic recipe. Any colour ( yellow, orange, green, cochineal), essence (pineapple, orange, pista, chocolate), topping (almonds, walnuts, cashews), can be added. To above recipe add any of following for varied flavours: cashew powder 1/2 cup, cocoa 2 tbsp.(then increase sugar by 1/2 cup), walnuts powdered 1/2 cup, etc. Add when the mixture is half cooked.

    • rajan nair
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 9, 2009
        ALL MEN !! Try Kele ka halwa !! Its easy and tastes great !!! Thanks maam !!
        RAJAN NAIR

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 10, 2009
          Hi Sir...

          I have tried this Kaju Burfi...It is verytasty..My kids luv it ...Yum
          ..!!!! Thank you...

          And I could not follow waterchest nut..Can u pls explain..

          Thanks

          --- In Kraft-Meals-Made-Simple@yahoogroups.com, rajan nair <cr2kl@...>
          wrote:

          > ALL MEN !! Try Kele ka halwa !! Its easy and tastes great !!! Thanks
          maam !!
          > RAJAN NAIR

        • uma narendar
          Message 4 of 8 , May 4, 2009
            vermicelli upma

            Ingredients

            2 cups Vermicelli
            1 tsp Chana dal
            1 tsp Urad dal
            1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
            2 tsp Cashewnuts
            2 tsp Peanuts
            1 Onions
            2 Green chillies
            1/2 inch Ginger
            1 Potatoes
            1/4 cup Peas
            1 Carrots
            1 Tomatoes
            4 1/2 cups Water
            3 tblsp Oil
            2 tblsp Ghee
            3 sprig Curry Leaves
            Salt to taste

            Direction

            1.Chop the onions, chillies, ginger, tomatoes , potatoes, carrots into small pieces and keep aside.
            2.Heat oil and add chana dal, urad dal, mustard seeds and curry leaves. When they start to crackle , add peanuts .and cashewnuts. Fry till they turn golden brown.
            3.Add potatoes, carrots and fry for 4-5 minutes.
            4.Then add chillies, ginger , onions, peas and tomatoes.
            5.Cook until they are done.
            6.After that add salt and 41/2 cups of water, cover with a lid and let it boil .
            7.When the water comes to boil add vermecelli and simultaneously stir ( so that no lumps will be formed).
            Cover the upma with a lid for 5-6 minutes and then add 2tbsp of ghee and stir well.
            8.Serve hot with coconut chutney.

            Atta Halwa

            Ingredients:

            Atta – 1 Cup

            Powdered jaggery – 2 cup

            Ghee – ½ Cup

            Elaichi – 2 nos

            Cashew nuts – 1 tbspn

            Kesari colour – 1 pinch

            Water – 4 cups

            Method:

            In a pan add 2 cups of water, mix the Atta and bring to boil.
            Once mixed add 2 more cups of water and bring to boil.
            Add Jaggery, Kesari colour to it once boiled.
            When jaggery gets melted add ghee and stir well.
            Once the mixture becomes thicker add cashew nuts, elaichi , stir well and remove from the stove.
            Stir well until the mixture comes to the Halwa consistency .
            Grease a plate with ghee and add the mixture.
            Cut pieces once it becomes little warm.
            Garnish with Cashew nuts and serve.

            Milk Cake

            Ingredients:

            Milk – 2 cups

            Sugar – 2 Cups

            Ghee – 4 tbspn

            Maida – 1 tbspn

            Method:

            In a pan add ghee and fry the maida till light brown.
            Add the other contents and start stirring
            Stir continuously till it boils and comes to a thicker consistency.
            Once the bubbles slows down and the contents become little thicker remove the pan from the stove and then start stirring till the contents are thicker enough and comes together when stirred
            Grease a plate with ghee and add the contents on it.
            Take a plastic cover and apply ghee and level the contents to make a smoother surface.
            Once it becomes little warm with a greased knife make cuttings in diamond shape.
            Once taken out garnish with nuts and serve.
          • uma narendar
            Message 5 of 8 , May 6, 2009
              beetroot halwa

              1 kg beetroot

              1 1/2 litre milk

              400-500 gm sugar

              elaichi powder (cardomon)

              saffron few flakes

              1 tbsp ghee

              Method

              Peel and grate beetroot

              Put milk and dudhi in a heavy saucepan. Boil till thick, stirring occassionally. Once it starts thickening, stir

              continuously. Add sugar and cook

              further till thickens. Add ghee, elaichi, saffron and colour. Stir on low heat till the mixture collects in a soft ball or the ghee oozes out.
              Serve hot, decorated with a chopped almond or pista.

              Patisa (Soan Papdi)

              Ingredients

              1 1/4 cup gramflour

              1 1/4 cup plain flour (maida)

              250 gms. ghee

              2 1/2 cups sugar

              1 1/2 cup water

              2 tbsp. milk

              1/2 tsp. cardamom seeds crushed coarsely

              2 tsp. pistas finely chopped

              4" squares cut from a thin polythene sheet

              Method

              Sift both flours together.

              Heat ghee in a heavy saucepan.

              Add flour mixture and roast on low till light golden.

              Keep aside to cool a little, stirring occasionally.

              Prepare syrup simultaneously.

              Make syrup out of sugar, water and milk .

              Bring syrup to 2 1/2 thread consistency.

              Pour at once into the flour mixture.

              Beat well with a large fork till the mixture forms threadlike flakes.

              Pour onto a greased surface or thali and roll to 1" thickness lightly.

              Sprinkle pista finely chopped and elaichi and gently press down with palm.

              Cool, cut into 1" squares, wrap individually into square pieces of thin plastic sheet.

              Store in airtight container.

              Making time: 45 minutes

              Makes: 20 pieces (approx.)

              Shelflife: 2 weeks

              Pedhas

              Ingredients

              1 can of condensed milk (preferably non-fat)
              2 1/4 cups carnation powder (dry milk powder)
              1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
              2 pinches saffron
              1 tbsp milk
              12-14 slivered almonds
              1/4 tsp powdered eliachi

              Method:

              1. Soak the saffron in milk and leave it for 25-30 minutes.
              2. In a microwave safe bowl, heat the condensed milk and butter for 3 minutes.
              3. It will be bubbly.
              4. Add carnation milk powder and heat for another 3 minutes.
              5. Add the saffron paste and elaichi powder and heat it for another 35-45 seconds.
              6. Let it cool some but while its still warm start shaping it in thick flat rounds and immediately press a few slivered almonds on it before shaping another pedas as the almonds will not stick once the pedas cool down.
              7. Cool it in a plate.
              8. After completely cool, they can be refrigerated for a long time.

              rasgulla
              Ingredients:

              1 litre milk
              1/2 tsp. citric acid
              1 1/2 cups sugar
              4 cups water
              2-3 drops rose essence

              Method:

              Heat the milk and bring to boil.
              Cool the milk for a couple of hours. Remove the cream layer.
              Reheat the milk and bring to a boil.
              Add the citric acid dissolved in some water.
              Stir slowly till the milk is fully curdled.
              Keep as it is for 5 minutes.
              Meanwhile heat the sugar and water in a wide sauce pan. Bring to a boil.
              Strain the milk through a muslin cloth. Wash the chenna in the cloth under cold running water.
              Press out the excess water and remove in a wide plate.
              Gently knead into a soft dough by passing between fingers.
              Make twelve equal sized balls of the dough.
              Let them into the boiling water. Cover with a perforated lid. Boil for 13 to 15 minutes.
              Take off from heat and cool them to room temperature.
              Add essence and chill for at least 4 to 5 hours.

              Khajur Rolls

              IngredientsSeedless khajur (dates) - 250 gm Milk - 500 mlChopped walnuts, pistachios, almonds - 1 tbsp Oil - 1 tbsp Method1.Heat the oil in a saucepan on a medium flame 2.Next, add the khajur and milk to the saucepan, cooking the mixture until the it goes soft. 3.Add the chopped nuts to the khajur and milk. 4.Take the saucepan off the stove and empty the contents onto a greased plate. 5.Shape the mixture into a roll and cut it into four equal pieces. 6.Freeze the khajur rolls for an hour and then serve

              Rasmalai

              4 cups milk
              1cup of sugar
              1 1/2 tbs baking powder
              1 1/2 tbs vegetable oil
              1 1/2 tbs maida
              1 egg
              pista
              ilaichi powder

              1 cup milk powder
              mix milk powder plus egg add maida ,baking powder and oil to it
              make round balls flatten then a lill bit in the center
              add milk and sugar let it come to a boil
              now add ur milk balls
              let it come to boil again reduce the heat do it three times and then cover it switch off the gas .
              makes around 20 ras malais!!!! add the pista n ilaichi power n serve chilled!!!!!

              Mysore Pak

              Ingredients

              Chana dal flour : 1 cup
              Sugar : 2 cup
              Ghee : 1/2 cup

              Method

              Set microwave to high power.
              In a microsafe plate, mix 1 tsp ghee with chana dal flour and keep it in the oven for 1 -2 minutes.
              In a bowl, mix sugar with little water / milk and keep it in the oven for 1 -2 minutes.
              Add chana dal flour, ghee and keep it in the oven for 4 -5 minutes at 80 % power.
              Stir the contents at every 1 minute intervals.
              Remove from the oven and pour it on a greased plate and cut into desired shapes.
              Tomato Halwa Recipe

              IngredientsApple Tomato- 3 Sugar- 3 to 5 spoon according to sweetness desiredGhee- as required Method1.Grind the Tomatoes with out water and keep it aside. 2.Heat Ghee in a pan. 3.Add the ground tomato juice and sugar and stir it in very low heat. 4.Add some more Ghee if you feel you need it.5.Stir it continuously till it becomes so soft and thick.Serve it

              Chocolate Peda

              Yields 4 pedas.

              Ingredients:
              Ovaltine/sweetened cocoa/any chocolate drink powder(I used ovaltine)-4 tbsp
              Milk Powder-4 tbsp
              Almond powder-4 tbsp
              Marie Biscuits-2 small(powdered)
              Evaporated milk-2 tbsp

              Method:

              Mix all the ingredients together and make a soft dough.
              If the dough is sticky, add 2 drops of oil.
              Divide the dough into 4 portions and shape them any way you like.
            • uma narendar
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 20, 2009
                Poornam Boorelu or Poornalu

                Ingredients:

                1/4 kg bengalgram
                1/4 kg grated jaggery or sugar
                12 cardamom powdered
                1/2 cup melted butter
                1 cup coconut cut into small pieces (optional)
                125 gm blackgram
                1/4 kg rice flour

                Method:

                Wash and soak blackgram four hours. Drain water and grind it to fine paste adding very little water. Add a pinch of salt and the rice flour and mix it well. Leave it covered for a minimum of three hours.

                Pressure cook bengalgram with just enough water. Add jaggery or sugar to it and cook it again stirring in between till it becomes a thick paste. Add the coconut pieces (fried in a tbsp of melted butter), cardamom powder and the remaining melted butter and mix well. Make them into medium size balls.

                Heat oil, dip each sweet ball in the blackgram-rice flour mix and fry till golden brown. Three to four ball can be fried at a time. Stored in a air tight container, they last for two to three days. Before eating, make a hole and fill it with two spoons of melted butter, provided your diet permits.

                Sometimes, while being fried, these poornam boorelu may break if the consistency of the blackgram - rice flour mix is not soaked long enough. You have to be very careful on these two counts. To the remaining blackgram - rice flour mix add salt and green chili paste. Make medium size balls and fry in oil. They make great savory and go well with the sweet.

                Rava Laddoo

                Ingredients:
                1 1/2 cups rava(semolina)
                1 1/2 cups sugar
                1/2 cup ghee(clarified butter)
                4-5 cardamoms , powdered
                2 tbsp cashewnuts cut into very small pieces
                2 tbsp raisins.

                Instructions:
                Roast the rava in the 2 tbsp ghee till light golden
                in colour.
                Mix the sugar,roasted rava and cardamom and powder
                fine in a dry grinder.
                Heat the remaining ghee,fry the cashewnuts and
                raisins.
                Add to the rava-sugar mixture.
                Shape into tight laddoos(small round balls).
                The laddus can be stored in an airtight container
                for a few days.

                Cooking time 20/25 mins

                Pootha Rekulu

                pootha rekulu (literally means "smeared sheets") are very very thin rice sheets.It is not possible to prepare the Putarekulu from scratch in home. But if we can get the Rekulu we can add powdered sugar and ghee and make Putarekulu.

                Putha rekula are delicious. To make them at home we will need:
                powdered sugar -- 2 cups
                Ghee- 1 cup
                maida,or all purpose flour-- 2 cups Or can even use filo dough(1 pck) cardomons or powder-- 4

                PROCESS:

                Grind the sugar into fine powder adding cardomons. Next,mix the flour with ghee and water.Then press them very thin.(with a puri maker or a roller )and cut into long strips of each sheet into 4 inch wide.It will be very hard to handle.place them on a plain surface carefully and with the help of a brush,apply ghee all over it.and once you are done with ghee part,sprinkle the powdered sugar over the ghee strips. Roll them carefully into rectangles. Give it a few minutes to absorb the sugar into the dough.If you wait for 6hrs,it will turn crisp.
                Your putha rekulu are ready to eat!

                Kakinada Kajalu

                Kakinada is a place in Andhrapradesh and is famous for this sweet kaaja.
                This is a traditional sweet from Andhra Pradesh. It is served on marriage feasts and also prepared during festive seasons. This recipe results in about 20-25 kajalu ...

                Ingredients :

                Refined Wheat Flour 1&1/2 cup
                Rice flour 2 tablespoons
                Sugar 2 cups
                Butter 5 tablespoons
                Baking Soda 1 pinch Clarified Butter (Ghee) for deep frying

                Method :

                Step 1:Mix flour, 2 tablespoons of butter and baking soda along with a little water to make a soft dough(similar in consistency to that of chapati). Keep aside for fifteen minutes.

                Step 2:After setting aside the dough for fifteen minutes, knead the dough ball until soft(for about ten minutes).

                Step 3:Now, divide dough into lime sized balls. Keep aside.

                Step 4:In a small bowl, mix well, 3 tablespoons of softened butter and rice flour.

                Step 5:Roll out each lime sized dough ball, like you would, a chapati.

                Step 6:Now, spread 1 teaspoon of rice flour and butter mix from step 4 over the top surface of the chapati and roll it up closely(forgive the analogy, but it is similar to rolling up a carpet).

                Step 7: Now, cut this rolled chapati (along its length) into 1 inch wide pieces.

                Step 8: Take each piece and stretch it, now, along its width to about 1.5 inches.

                Step 9: Do similarly for the rest of the dough balls.

                Meanwhile, heat sugar with 1 cup of water, until sugar dissolves and syrup looks thick. To test whether the syrup is ready, take a drop between your fingers. It should feel sticky and stretch a little. Remove syrup from heat.
                Heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan, on medium heat, until it is hot. (It should not be smoky hot). Add a batch of kajas and fry over low heat until golden yellow.

                Remove from heat and immediately add to the syrup. Stir gently a few times so that the kajas are well coated with syrup and leave in the syrup until the next batch of kajas are ready to go into the syrup.
                At this stage remove the previous batch of kajas and place them on a plate to cool.

                Storage Tips :

                Kajas taste fresh for up to two or three days.
                Store in a plastic container in a cool, dry place.

                Note: You may adjust the consistency of syrup according to your taste. You may also use cooking oil to deep fry the kajas, though, they will taste much inferior to those fried in clarified butter.

                Kajjikayalu

                Kajjikaya has a light, crisp exterior and as you bite into this cresent shaped sweet, its crunchy texture with the subtle sweet flavor of dried coconut and sugar laced with a tinge of cardamom, stretches into every bite, leaving you very satisfied and craving for more. The sweetness of the kajjikaya is subtle that you can easily have 2 to 3 kajjikayalu without feeling heavy.

                Kajjikayalu can be eaten anytime of the day and makes a great tea time snack or an after lunch/dinner dessert. Kajjikaya is similar to the popular Maharastrian sweet ‘Karanji’ which is prepared using mawa (khoya /thickened milk) instead of semolina.

                Minappa Sunni Undalu

                Minappa Sunni Undalu (Urad Laddo)is an Andhra sweet dish which is very simple to prepare and can be stored in an air tight container for atleast 2 weeks.

                Ingridients

                1 cup black gram lentil(without husk)
                1 tbsp raw rice
                1 cup granulated sugar
                1/2 cup ghee/clarified butter

                Dry roast raw rice in a vessel till brown and remove.Now dry roast black gram on a medium flame till deep golden brown and till you get a nice aroma…which could take atleast 20 minutes.You should keep stirring the dal while dry roasting it lest it burns.Allow it to cool.
                Blend both the raw rice and black gram to a fine powder.Keep aside.Blend the sugar to a fine powder.Keep aside.
                Heat ghee till it melts.Do not over heat.Keep aside.

                Now mix together black gram powder and powdered sugar in a wide plate.Slowly add hot ghee and keep mixing with hand, till the mix holds together.

                Shape into round balls of the size of a big lime.The ghee should be just enough to hold the powders together and not drip while making balls.
                Stored in an air tight container the laddos stay fresh for at least 2 weeks.

                Variations
                A combination of jaggery and sugar can be used. Take 3/4 cup jaggery and 1/4 cup powdered sugar.

                Tip
                Mixture of black gram powder and sugar can be stored in an air tight container for 1-2 months. When ever required mix ghee and make balls.

                Boondi Laadoo

                The critical tool for making Boondi Laadoo, is the boondi maker...a flat ladle that has several black pepper sized holes, and a long handle.

                Makes: 25 laadoos
                Preparation time: 1 - 1.5 hours

                For Boondi
                2.5 cups besan (channa flour)
                water to make a thick batter

                For sugar syrup
                1/2 cup water
                3 cup sugar
                a pinch orange food coloring
                1/4 tsp cardamom powder

                Cashew bits
                Raisins
                2.5 tsp ghee
                oil for frying

                Making sugar syrup

                . Prepare the sugar syrup by heating a mixture of the water and sugar.
                . Heat the mixture till the syrup thickens.
                . Add cardamom powder and food coloring and mix.
                . Syrup is ready when you use a spoon or your fingers to test the stickiness, and it trickles as one string. (also known as oru kambi padam
                . Take off heat immediately, but let it sit near the stove (so it is warm but not thickening more).
                . In 1/2 tsp ghee, fry the cashew bits and raisins, till cashews are golden brown, and set aside.

                Making boondi

                . Make batter with the besan and water, adding enough water to ensure it has a thick, runny, consistency.
                . Heat oil in a flat pan. (flat, so it is easy to remove the boondis).
                . Test oil, with a droplet of batter - it should sizzle and rise. Reduce to medium heat.
                . Hold the boondi plate about 3-4 inches above the oil and pour batter using a soup ladle.
                . Immediately rub the soup ladle in circles around the plate, so it spreads all the batter evenly.
                . Fry the boondis till they are golden brown, but not too much.
                . Drain on a paper towel.
                . When boondi is drained of oil, but is still warm, add to the sugar syrup. Warm boondi best absorbs sugar syrup.
                . Repeat till all the batter is fried.

                Making the laadoos

                . Add two tsp of ghee, fried cashews and raisins to the boondi-syrup and mix carefully with a wooden spoon.
                . Now take a handful of the boondi in one palm, using the pressure from two fingers on your other hand, press firmly applying even pressure to make a ball. It is important to not apply too much pressure (hence use only two fingers), which could lead to hard ladoos.
                . Repeat till all the boondis are pressed into laadoos, and set them on a plate to slightly dry out. This is to ensure that the sugar syrup binds well and the laadoo doesn't crumble.
                . Store in a dry, air-tight container for about a week - 10 days.

                JANGRI

                INGREDIENTS

                Urad dhal 1cup
                Sugar 2cup
                Orange or red food color
                Oil for deep fry

                METHOD

                1.Soak the urda dhal for 1hour.
                2.Grind the dhal with water & make a thick batter like vada batter.
                3.Add food color to the dhal baste.
                SUGAR SYRUP
                1.Add 1cup water to the sugar.
                2.Make a surup ,it should be one string consistency.
                3.This consistency of the syrup can be tested by holding a drop of the syrup on your thumb and trying to draw it up as a single thread with the help of the pointing finger.
                MAKE JANGRI
                1.Take a square piece of white cloth, put the pepper size hole in the center, add one big spoon of batter in the cloth, hold the edges of the cloth together & squeeze it& make the jangri design.
                2.Add to the sugar syrup & keep it aside

                Palathalikalu

                Ingredients

                * Milk - 1/2 liter (about 5 to 6 cups)
                * Rice flour - 1 cup
                * Jaggery - 200 gms (about 2 cups grated)
                * Coconut - 1/4 cup grated or coconut pieces fried in ghee
                * Cashews - few
                * Ghee - 3 tbsp
                * cardamons - 4

                Preparation:

                1. Put a small vessel on the stove, add 1 1/2 cups of water. After water starts boiling, add rice flour and stir properly, take it out of stove immediately.
                2. After this dough is little hard and cool knead it with little oil applied to your hands.
                3. Take a small quantity of dough in your palms, start elongating into a long string in a medium size thicknes.
                4. Break this into 1 inch pieces. Proceed with rest of the dough.
                5. Take a big vessel and boil the milk. Add the prepared riceflour pieces and cook.
                6. After they are cooked ( it takes about 20 to 30 min) it it off the stove and add the crushed jaggery (or make syrup with jaggery adding little water and then add) .
                7. Add grated coconut, crushed cardamons and cashews fried in ghee.

                NOTE:
                This states very good when eaten warm, can be served cold too.
                Can be stored upto 4/5 days

                Gavvalu

                List of ingredients:

                1/2 kg sugar or jaggery
                1/4 kg oil
                1/2 kg wheat flour
                Cooking procedure:

                knead a soft dough with wheat flour using water , oil and a little salt. on the rolling pin (gavvala peeta) make the gavvalu in needed shape (gavva)and deep fry in oil and take out. make sugar syrup or jaggery syrup with water till 2 string consistency. put the gavvalu in this syrup and remove. cool and serve. this can be stored for upto a month.

                Storage Tips:
                can be stored for 10 days or more. serve as a snack with tea/coffee.

                Badhusha

                Ingridients

                Allpurpose flour 450gms
                Suagr 2tsp
                Fresh lemon juice 1tsp
                Baking powder little
                baking soda 1tsp
                Yoghurt?thick sour curd 4tbsp
                Pure ghee 250gms
                Garnishing:-
                Saffron 1gm
                Almonds 20gms(blanched& chopped)
                Pista 15gms
                Ghee+oil for deep frying.

                Method:-

                1.Heat ghee,keep aside.
                2.Mix baking powder,soda into the flour,mix well.
                3.Beat yoghurt,melted ghee,sugar,lemon juice to a fine cream.
                4.Run the food processor, mixing above two mixtures until the mixture is thoroughly mixed.
                5.Make it as a ball and keep in a polythine cover.Tie it.
                6.Keep it in the refregerator for 15 min.
                7.Meanwhile make 2 threads sugar syrup.
                8.Remove the dough from the fridge, divide whole dough into two parts.Do not knead hardly.
                9.Roll them into a big discs.
                10.Apply ghee over roti and sprinkle little flour on it.
                11.Roll it like cylinder(mat),and press a little with rolling pin.
                12.Cut 1 'size bits with a sharp knife.
                13.Roll one round (under the palms-not so much)and press a little.
                14.make a dent in the centre.
                15.Prepare all badushaws in the same way.Cover with a damp cloth.
                16.Deep fry them in ghee mixed oil on slow heat to golden colour.
                17.The syrup should be warm all the time.
                18.Drop them one by one into the syrup and allow to stay them for
                12-15 minutes.
                19.Remove and place on a wide dish,,sprinkle nuts and saffron.
                20.After cooling, the sugar syrup layer will be appeared on badushaws

              • preeti malik
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
                  Khir
                  Ingredients

                  Milk 2 liters
                  Sugar 4 tbsp
                  Rice 3-4 tbsp
                  Few raisins
                  Sliced almonds
                  Chopped cashew nuts

                  Method:

                  Heat milk in a large pan.
                  Simmer until it is reduced to 3 quarters its original volume.
                  Add sugar and continue cooking until milk is reduced to half and thickens.
                  Add the raisins, almonds and chopped cashew nuts.
                  Remove from heat. Cool and serve. < /ul>

                  Rosogulla
                  Ingredients

                  Cottage Cheese 1 kg
                  Sugar 1 liter
                  Water 1.5 liter
                  Ghee 4 tbsp
                  Semolina 2 tsp
                  Standard flour 2 tsp
                  Rose Water few drops
                  Cardamom powder 1/2 tsp

                  Method:

                  Sugar Syrup

                  In a pan add the water and the sugar and boil them together for 20 to 30 minutes and let them thicken.

                  Rosogulla Balls

                  In a big bowl add the cottage cheese, ghee, semolina, cardamom powder, and standard flour.
                  Add all the mixteures together until it forms a dough.
                  Knead the dough evenly until and unless your palms become oily.
                  Now make small balls of 1 1/2 inch diameter.
                  Add these balls in the boiling sugar syrup and let them get cooked in the boiling sugar syrup for 25 minutes.
                  This will make them spongy.
                  Remove the pan from heat and after 10 minutes add the rose water essence.

                  Jalebi
                  Ingredients

                  plain flour 200 gms (maida)
                  gram flour 20 gms (besan)
                  sugar 200 gms
                  few drops yellow colour
                  Milk 2 tbsp
                  ghee to deep fry
                  a plastic easy squeeze bottle

                  Method:

                  Sieve 100 gms maida and besan together.
                  Make a batter using warn water.
                  Keep aside for 24 hours.
                  Add remaining maida and food colour and more warm water if required.
                  The batter should fall easily when poured Keep aside.(Not too thick not too thin)
                  Make syrup of the sugar by adding water and boiling.
                  Add the milk and all the scum to form while boiling.
                  Make one string syrup. Strain.
                  Fill bottle with batter.
                  Heat ghee well in a shallow frying pan and form jalebis in the form of concentric circles about 2 inches on the outside.
                  Fry till crisp, drop into hot syrup.
                  Drain with a perforated spoon, serve hot.
                  Tips The nozzle of the easy squeeze bottle should have a hole the thickness of a knitting needle.

                  Sheera

                  Ingredients

                  whole milk 1 cup
                  condensed milk 1/2 cup
                  ghee(clarified butter) 4 tbsp
                  sooji (rawa or semolina) 4 tbsp
                  cardamom powder 1 tsp
                  raisins 2 tbsp
                  almonds sliced fine 1 tbsp

                  Method:

                  Melt the ghee in a non stick pan.
                  Add the rawa and fry until the rawa turns golden brown.
                  Mix the milk and the condensed milk in a pan and set aside.
                  Add the rava to the milk mixture and the add the cardmom powder and stir well.
                  Cook until dry and the ghee separates from the rawa.
                  Add the raisins and stir well.
                  Remove from heat and garnish with almonds.
                  Tips Serve either hot or chilled.

                  Gajar Halwa
                  Ingredients

                  carrots 6 (grated finely)
                  milk 3 cups
                  sugar 1 cup
                  mawa 1/2 cup (powdered milk)
                  khoya 3 tsp (ricotta cheese)
                  almonds 1/8 cup (chopped)
                  cardamoms 5 (skinned and crushed fine)
                  pistachios 2-3 (powdered)
                  ghee 1/4 cup (clarified butter)
                  raisins 1 tsp

                  Method:

                  Cook the carrots in the milk in an open pan on a low flame with constant stirring.
                  When the carrots are done, take them out and drain any excess milk.
                  Add the milk powder(mava) , the ricotta cheese and the sugar to the carrots..
                  Heat the ghee in a frying pan, add the carrot mixture and keep on high flame until the carrot paste loses the milky texture and becomes golden brown and the sugar is totally dissolved.
                  Add the raisins, cardamoms, powdered pistas and the almonds.
                  Heat through and serve either hot or cold with cream on the side.

                  Sevai Payasam
                  Ingredients

                  vermicelli 200 gms
                  ghee 1/2 cup
                  milk 1 1/2 liters
                  sugar 100 gms
                  cashew nuts 2-3 tsp
                  raisins 1 tsp
                  cardamom powder 1/4 spoon

                  Method:

                  Heat the ghee and fry the vermicelli until a golden brown.
                  Mix in the cashew nuts and the raisins.
                  Add milk and boil for 5 minutes.
                  Mix in the sugar and stir till the sugar is dissolved.
                  Stir in the cardamom powder and serve hot or warm.

                  Shrikhand
                  Ingredients

                  curd 500 gms
                  sugar 200 gms (powdered)
                  cardamom powder 1/4 tbsp
                  saffron 1 Pinch
                  pistachios 1 tbsp (chooped)

                  Method:

                  Pour fresh curd into a clean muslin cloth and tie inside the fridge for 2-3 hours.
                  Take out water completely & beat with sugar till mixed.
                  Add saffron chopped nuts.
                  Serve cool.
                • uma narendar
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 13, 2009
                    Gajar Ka Halwa
                    Ingredients :
                    6 red carrots, grated
                    ½ cup full fat milk
                    ½ cup sugar
                    ¼ tsp elaichi powder
                    a few saffron strands
                    2 tbsp cream
                    3 tsp ghee
                    For garnishing :
                    2 tbsp slivered almonds
                    Method :
                    Heat the ghee in a broad non-stick pan and fry the carrots for 2 to 3 minutes.
                    Put the milk and stir till it evaporates.
                    Then put the sugar and continue to stir until the mixture becomes slightly thick.
                    Put the cardamom powder, saffron dissolved in a little milk and cream and mix properly.
                    Decorate with the slivered almonds.
                    Ready to serve.
                    Doodhi ka Halwa
                    Ingredients :

                    4 cups grated pumkin (White)
                    2 cups sugar
                    1½ cup milk
                    1 tbsp elaichi powder
                    2 tbsp raisins
                    2 tbsp cashews
                    3 tbsp ghee

                    Method :

                    Grate the pumpkin and keep aside.
                    Once the water drains out, squeeze out the rest of the water.
                    Fry the nuts and raisins and then add the grated pumpkin in ghee and fry a little while.
                    Then add milk and cook till soft and dry.
                    Add sugar and cook until dry.
                    Add elaichi powder and serve hot.

                    Instant Jalebis
                    Ingredients :
                    For the batter :
                    1 teacup self-raising flour
                    a pinch baking powder
                    ½ teacup fresh curds
                    ghee for deep frying
                    For the syrup :
                    1 teacup sugar
                    ½ tsp saffron
                    2 tsp rose water
                    For garnishing :
                    ½ tsp cardamom powder
                    1 tbsp blanched and sliced pistachios
                    rose petals (optional)
                    Method :
                    Sieve the flour with the baking powder.
                    Put ½ teacup of water to the curds and beat well.
                    Melt the sugar in 1 teacup of water and boil for 5 minutes.
                    Warm the saffron in a small vessel, put a little milk and rub until the saffron dissolves.
                    Add to the syrup. Put the rose water.
                    The syrup should be of 1 thread consistency. Keep the syrup warm.
                    How to proceed :
                    Heat the ghee in a non-stick frying pan.
                    Select a plastic bottle with a small hole in the lid and fill with the batter.
                    Press the batter out from the bottle into the hot ghee in the form of a jalebi.
                    Fry on both sides. Take out and wait for 1 minute. Drop the fried jalebis into the hot syrup.
                    Keep for 2 minutes and then remove.
                    Sprinkle with cardamom powder, pistachios and rose petals.
                    Ready to serve hot.

                       Vanilla Ice cream
                    Ingredients :
                    1 litre milk
                    2 tbsp sugar
                    10 tsp vanilla essence
                    Method :
                    Boil the milk till it becomes thick.
                    As soon as it is cooled add the sugar and vanilla essence and blend well using a blender or mixie.
                    Cool it in the refrigerator and again blend well.
                    Keep it in the freezer and your Vannila Ice Cream will be ready with in two hours.
                    Gulab Jamun
                    Ingredients :
                    1 litre milk
                    ¾ cup sugar
                    2-3 tsp maida
                    2 tbsp rose water
                    1 cup water
                    1 pinch saffron
                    1 pinch baking soda
                    ghee for frying

                    Method :
                    Boil milk in a vessel on medium flame. Then mix constantly, till it becomes semi-solid or khova is formed.
                    Put maida and continue to stir for another few minutes.
                    Take out from flame and knead the dough. Take a small part of the dough on palm.
                    Shape into the form of a little finger.
                    Continue the same procedure for the remaining dough.
                    Keep the jamoons aside on plate. Add water to sugar.
                    Heat till the syrup becomes sticky and put saffron stirred in a little rose water and the remaining rose water. Mix well.
                    Take out from flame.
                    Fry the jamoons, 3 to 4 at a time, in hot ghee on a low flame, till it turns golden brown, turning over gently.
                    Put the fried jamoons in warm syrup.
                    Shift to a vessel, when cool.
                    Keep aside under cover for sometime.
                    Serve jamoon with a syrup.

                    Black Forest
                    Ingredients :
                    For black forest :
                    450 gms cherries
                    1 tbsp red jam
                    300 gms fresh cream
                    4 to 5 tbsp powdered suagr
                    1 recipe shortcrust pastry (using 55 gms plain flour and 25 gms cold butter)
                    2 tbsp rum or brandy or kirsch
                    For egg fatless chocolate sponge mixture :
                    3 large eggs
                    85 gms plain flour
                    85 to 115 gms fine tea sugar
                    For decoration :
                    Grated chocolate
                    Method :
                    For egg fatless chocolate sponge mixture :
                    Sieve the flour.Grease and dust a baking tin.
                    Use approx. 250 mm. x 125 mm. (10" x 5") or 175 mm. (7") diameter tin for the large cake; and 225 mm. x 100 mm. (9"x 4") or 150 mm. (6") diameter tin for the small cake.
                    Beat the eggs and sugar properly until it becomes thick and double in quantity.
                    Fold in the well-sieved flour carefully and gently with a metal spoon.
                    Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tin.
                    Bake in a hot oven at 400ºF. for at least 15 minutes.
                    The cake is ready when it leaves the sides of the tin and is springy to touch.
                    Remove from the oven and keep for 1 minute.
                    For black forest :
                    Stone the cherries. Keep aside 3 tbsp of the syrup and put the rum to it.
                    Bake the sponge mixture in a well-greased and dusted 175 mm. (7") diameter tin.
                    Cool the cake and trim from the top and bottom.
                    Cut the cake into 2 horizontally. Sprinkle the syrup over the cake parts.
                    Soak for at least 10 minutes.
                    Roll out the shortcrust pastry dough to 175 mm. (7") diameter.
                    Bake in a hot oven at 450ºF for 10 minutes. Allow the pastry to cool.
                    Spread a thin layer of jam over the pastry.
                    Keep one part of the cake over the pastry.
                    Beat the cream with the sugar until it becomes very thick.
                    Spread a little cream over the cake
                    Place the cherries on top and spread a thick layer of cream over the cherries.
                    Keep to chill in the freezer compartment of a refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes.
                    Keep the other cake part on top and spread the remaining cream.
                    Decorate with grated chocolate and cherries.
                    Allow the cake to chill.
                    Ready to serve cold.
                    Anjeer Halwa
                    Ingredients :
                    200 grams dried anjeer
                    3 tbsp ghee
                    ½ cup almonds, blanched, powdered
                    ? cup milk powder
                    4 tbsp sugar
                    ¼ tsp elaichi powder
                    For garnishing :
                    2 tbsp slivered almonds
                    Method :
                    Cook the anjeer in boiling water for 3 to 5 minutes.
                    Drain and puree them in a mixer. Keep aside.
                    Heat the ghee in a heavy bottomed pan, put the powdered almonds and fry on a medium flame for at least 2 minutes.
                    Put the pureed anjeer, milk powder, sugar with ½ cup of water and cook for about 5 minutes till the sugar gets dissolved, stirring continuously.
                    Put the cardamom powder and stir well.
                    Decorate with slivered almonds.

                      Pista Choco Roll
                    Ingredients :
                    For the Pista Choco Roll
                    ¼ cup powder sugar
                    1 tsp cocoa powder
                    2 tbsp chopped pistachios
                    2 drops rose essence
                    For the Khoya (mava) :
                    ¼ cup powdered sugar
                    Method:
                    For the Khoya (mava) :
                    Heat the milk in a non-stick pan on a high flame till it comes to boil.
                    Continue to boil and keep on stirring continuously till it becomes semi-solid.
                    Keep it to cool.
                    For the Pista Choco Roll :
                    Combine the khoya and powdered sugar in a heavy bottomed pan and cook on a slow flame.
                    Continue to stir for 5 to 10 minutes till the sugar get dissolved and the moisture has evaporated.
                    Keep it to cool completely, put the rose essence and stir well.
                    Divde into 2 equal parts
                    In one part, put the cocoa powder and mix properly.
                    Roll into a 200 mm. x 75 mm. (6" x 3") rectangle. Keep aside.
                    In the other part, put the chopped pistachios and stir well.
                    Make a roll of 25 mm. (1") diameter and 200 mm. (8") length.
                    Arrange the pistachio roll on the chocolate rectangle and roll it in such a way that the chocolate rectangle covers the pistachio roll evenly from all sides and there are no cracks on the surface.
                    Wrap the roll in a plastic sheet or grease-proof paper and refrigerate till for 10 minutes till it becomes firm.
                    Take out from the plastic sheet or grease-proof paper and cut into 12 mm. (½") slices.

                    Pav Bhaji
                    Ingredients :
                    For the pav
                    8 laddi pavs (small squares of white bread)
                    4 tbsp butter
                    1 tsp pav bhaji masala (optional)
                    For the bhaji :
                    1½ cups potatoes, boiled and mashed
                    1 cup cauliflower, finely chopped
                    ½ green peas
                    ½ cup green peas
                    ½ cup carrots, chopped
                    1 cup onion, chopped
                    ½ cup capsicum, finely chopped
                    2½ cup tomatoes, chopped
                    ½ tsp haldi powder
                    ½ chilli powder
                    1½ tbsp pav bhaji masala
                    ½ tsp black salt (sanchal)
                    4 tbsp butter
                    salt to taste.
                    To be ground into a chilli-garlic paste :
                    3 to 4 Kashmiri chillies, soaked in warm water
                    4 to 6 cloves garlic
                    For serving :
                    1 large onion, chopped
                    4 lemon wedges
                    1 tbsp chopped coriander
                    Method :
                    For the bhaji :
                    Boil the cauliflower, peas and carrots till they become soft. remove the excess water.
                    Heat the butter in a pan, put the onion and capsicum and fry for at least 2 minutes.
                    Then, put the prepared chilli-garlic paste and fry till the onion become soft.
                    Put the tomatoes and allow to simmer till the oil separates.
                    Put the haldi powder, chilli powder, pav bhaji masala, black salt and salt and allow it to cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
                    Also mix the boiled vegetables and potatoes and mash thoroughly using a potato masher.
                    If required add ½ cup of water.
                    For the pav :
                    Cut each pav into horizontally. Apply a little butter on each side of a pav.
                    If desired, sprinkle it with a pav bhaji masala.
                    Heat a tava and cook the pav on both sides till the pieces becomes light brown.
                    How to proceed :
                    Serve the hot bhaji in 4 different plates and garnish it with onion and coriander.
                    Serve it with hot pav and lemon slice.

                     Sweet Coconut Stuffed Dosa
                    Ingredients:
                    1 cup all-purpose flour
                    1 egg
                    1 cup milk
                    3 tbsp of sugar
                    2 cups of shredded coconut
                    3 cardamom pods
                    pinch of salt
                    Method:
                    Combine sugar, coconut and crushed cardamom powder together and keep it aside.
                    Mix salt and flour and sift.
                    Put egg and half cup of milk and mix into a smooth batter.
                    Keep aside for 30 minutes.
                    Then put the remaining milk to the batter and mix well.
                    Heat the shallow pan and grease it with little oil and pour three tbsp of the batter. Cook both sides until it becomes brown.
                    Repeat the same procedure for the remaining dosas.
                    Fill the coconut mixture in each dosa and fold into triangles.
                    Keep in a refrigerator and serve it cold.
                    Wheat Payasam
                    Ingredients :
                    1 pav wheat
                    ½ kg gur
                    2 cups coconut gratings
                    5 cardamom pods
                    1 pinch salt
                    Method :
                    Sprinkle water all over wheat.
                    Grind in grinding stone.
                    Dehusk the wheat, by winnowing.
                    Repeat the process 3 to 4 times. Then wash the wheat.
                    Grind coconut gratings and take out its juice.
                    Cook the washed wheat, in one litre of water, till it becomes soft.
                    Put crushed gur and a pinch of salt. Pour the extracted coconut juice.
                    When the gur melts and begins to boil, take out from flame.
                    Put powdered cardamom and mix
                    Ready to serve.