Re: [Kraft-Meals-Made-Simple] Need Recipe "Split Pea Soup"

  • Diane Wolfgang
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2009
      I love slit pea soup I use a recipe on a dried bag of split pea in a beans else in walmart or any grocery store using ham bone or ham Diane
    • TOconn280@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2009
        1 package of split pea beans....soaked for 1 hr. and rinsed
        1 small onion....diced into very small pieces
        2 celery stalks.....diced into very small pieces
        2 carrots peeled and diced into small pieces
        2 cans of chicken broth or 16 oz. chicken stock
        salt...pepper to taste
        1 left over ham bone with some meat on it...(or 1/2 lb. smoked ham sliced
        thick and cut into small pieces)
        3 table spoons of olive oil
        4 cups water
        (this is what really makes this soup tasty)...1/2 cup left over meatless
        tomato sauce...or if you don't have any use a jar of meatless Italian sauce.
        In a large pot put olive oil, and chopped onions, carrots, and celery and
        saute' until tender crisp
        Add...peas, water, salt, pepper, chicken broth, tomato sauce, and ham bone.
        Cover pot and simmer on a low flame for 2 hrs. or until peas break up. Take
        out ham bone and cut off meat into small pieces and add back into soup. If
        soup is too thick, add another can of chicken soup.
        I have tried many recipe's for pea soup and this is the best I have ever
        tasted. I used to make this for my son's deli, and people still talk about it.
        It was given to me from a friend whose grandmother handed it down many years
        ago. It is a favorite in my house.