Re: Do vertical chicken roasters work??

  • David R
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2009
      Hi Mark...as for slow cooker roasting, it depends on the unit...I hear many of the oval ones are good at it, put three crumpled balls of foil under the bird that has had oil, ect rubbed on it and cook with a little liquid put in bottom at start....as for the upright roasters, they are great used in an oven or on the grill but make sure to put a pan under them to catch the grease...I have also just opened a beer and stuck a sprig of rosemary in it for beer butt chicken rather than to have the upright around and the flavor is great...my favorite roast chicken is cool smoked on my smoker then finished in the oven...I finish it in a dutch oven type pot with an inch of wateror so in it to flavor the resulting liquid for smoky soup the next day...the chicken is already browned from the smoker and the covered oven finish keeps it very moist...best regards...David

      --- In Kraft-Meals-Made-Simple@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <manthonyferrante@...> wrote:

      > I love roasted chicken. Does vertical chicken roasters work? Here is a
      > link to the one I am thinking of getting, but I value your opinions and
      > will wait and see what you have to say. Also, can a chicken be roasted
      > in a crock-pot? If so, will it have the skin brown? Please visit this
      > link and let me know what you think. I thank you in advance for your
      > help:
      >
      > Vertical Chicken Roaster
      > <http://www.amazon.com/Kavalon-Simax-Nonstick-Poultry-Roaster/dp/B00065V\
      > ZBC/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1236815365&sr=1-16>
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Mark
      > Bachelor cook
      > (and not a very good one at that!)

    • mel
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2009
        We use something similar all the time. My brother in law also uses a can of beer instead of the pan. He does not cook with recipes, but my understanding it is really easy. You empty half the beer, put some spices in the can. Put the can in the chicken cavity and place it verticle in a pan.

        Here is a recipe that I found, but I have not tried this recipe.

        http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Beer-Butt-Chicken/Detail.aspx

        Mel in Texas

        --- In Kraft-Meals-Made-Simple@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <manthonyferrante@...> wrote:

        > I love roasted chicken. Does vertical chicken roasters work? Here is a
        > link to the one I am thinking of getting, but I value your opinion.
      • Rachel Byrd
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2009
          Mark,
          I have vertical roaster and love it.  It was a rather inexpensive one, I think made by Sunbeam.  I LOVE the chicken that I get.  The skin is brown and crisp and the inside is juicy and tender.  I highly recommend having one.  I know you can use the oven, but Iike easy and convenient.
          Hope this helps,
          Rachel

        • Jen Walker
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1, 2009
            We have a chicken roaster as well. I find using one of the bigger beer cans works just as well.

            These chickens are possibly the best ever!

            Jen