Lard...for Wendy

  • mormondeborah@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31 8:29 PM
      Wendy, supermarkets carry it on the shelf. It comes in a box and inside is
      wrapped with
      like a wax paper. You can ask anyone that works there where it is and they
      will show
      you. It is made from animal fat and is the consistency of crisco but is not
      vegetable.
      It's animal fat. Tortillas do come out better if you use the lard. It's
      inexpensive too :o)
      It's a commonly stocked item and should not be hard to find.

      deborah

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31 11:56 PM
        Lard is for sure a pork fat. normally comes from belly side.

        TQ & regards,
        djs

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2009
          Wendy,
          Pardon me if I am answering something that is already answered.  In the South, lard is animal fat rendered from pigs.  Rendering it makes is smooth, and very white, if it is done right.  The kind you buy in the store is done right.  Here it comes in a can like shortening.  It was a little scarce in the grocery stores due to the high fat content, until we got a lot of immigration from Mexico.  It is what they use in their cooking and so it's more prevalent on the shelves now.  I think it sustains a higher heat for frying and it adds flavor.  Pie crust made with lard is much flakier.  Crisco is a vegetable based shortening and there are some shortenings that are a mix of vegetable and animal fat.  Thats what I use now.  When Crisco went to the no-trans-fat shortening, I tried one can and never bought it again.  It does not get a high heat for frying, has no flavor and makes terrible piecrust, in my opinion.  I think Crisco is back on the
          shelves in the trans-fat state now also (the blue can).  If it is, I'll go back to it, because I am used to it.  Cooking with the mixed shortening takes some getting used to for me.

          So thats what I know about lard.

          Skippy
          From Down South