ONION RING

  • S. Layarda
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31 6:37 AM
      hi... can someone here share the recipe to make good onion ring pleaseeee.
      maybe David or Scott can help, as the two of you is the GURU in this group.
      thank you..
      ciao ciao...

    • twistedangel_linda
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 31 11:02 AM
        I personally like this recipe. Found it ages ago
        and this is the way I make them now.

        Old Fashioned Onion Rings

        source: allrecipes.com
        SUBMITTED BY: Jean Marie

        "This is an actual recipe from a former employee of
        a popular drive-in restaurant. Crispy coated onion
        rings like the pro's make!"

        * 1 large onion, cut into 1/4 inch slices
        * 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
        * 1 teaspoon baking powder
        * 1 teaspoon salt
        * 1 egg
        * 1 cup milk, or as needed
        * 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
        * seasoned salt to taste
        * 1 quart oil for frying, or as needed

        Heat the oil in a deep-fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).

        Separate the onion slices into rings, and set aside. In a small
        bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.

        Dip the onion slices into the flour mixture until they are all
        coated; set aside. Whisk the egg and milk into the flour mixture
        using a fork. Dip the floured rings into the batter to coat,
        then place on a wire rack to drain until the batter stops
        dripping. The wire rack may be placed over a sheet of aluminum
        foil for easier clean up. Spread the bread crumbs out on a
        plate or shallow dish. Place rings one at a time into the crumbs,
        and scoop the crumbs up over the ring to coat. Give it a hard
        tap as you remove it from the crumbs. The coating should cling
        very well. Repeat with remaining rings.

        Deep fry the rings a few at a time for 2 to 3 minutes, or until
        golden brown. Remove to paper towels to drain. Season with
        seasoning salt, and serve.
      • BEVERLEY WILLIAMS
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 31 12:52 PM
          --- On Tue, 3/31/09, S. Layarda <s.layarda@...> wrote:

          > hi... can someone here share the recipe to make good onion
          > ring pleaseeee.
          Here is what I do.

          I use sweet Vidallia onions.
          Pell onion and cut into rings.
          dip the rings in buttermilk then in flour. Let sit a couple of minutes. Then dip floured rings briefly in buttermilk and then in corn meal. Let sit a couple of minutes. Deep fry in oil to cover.
          Beverley
        • boobear_20
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 31 3:13 PM
            ONION RING BEER BATTER

            1/2 cup dark beer
            1/2 cup seltzer water or club soda
            1 tablespoon oil
            1 egg white
            1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
            1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
            1 cup Wondra or pastry flour
            1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
            1/2 teaspoon onion powder

            Pour beer and seltzer water or soda into the bowl of a blender or food processor (or a stick blender can be used). Sprinkle in pepper, mustard, salt and onion powder and oil. Pulse until combined. Add flour last, and process only until mixed. Batter may still be slightly lumpy, but almost smooth. If too pasty, add a teaspoon of water at a time until mixture has the consistency of a pancake batter.
            Whisk egg white until frothy in a shallow bowl. Gently stir in contents of food processor, mixing until combined.
            Slice large sweet onions into rings. Separate rings. Soak in a small amount of milk for 10 minutes. Drain and lightly sprinkle with onion powder, then dip in batter.
            Fry small batches in hot oil (365F), turning once, gently to brown evenly. Remove using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels before serving. Season with salt and pepper (a little hot salt or cayenne, if desired) while still hot from fryer.

            theres a whole lot of onion ring recieps here at this site http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/1571/

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 31 8:42 PM
              Hi, have another way of cooking onion rings in more affordable way. Here's how;

              Ingredients:

              Large white onions
              Flour
              Water
              Chinese Breading

              Peel onion and cut into rings. Mix flour and water. Coat and cover the onions with the mixed flour & water and cover with chinese breading. Deep fry.

              ________________________________
              > hi... can someone here share the recipe to make good onion
              > ring pleaseeee.
              Here is what I do.

              I use sweet Vidallia onions.
              Pell onion and cut into rings.
              dip the rings in buttermilk then in flour. Let sit a couple of minutes. Then dip floured rings briefly in buttermilk and then in corn meal. Let sit a couple of minutes. Deep fry in oil to cover.
              Beverley
            • David R
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 31 9:18 PM
                Hi...here are several I use...best regards...David

                Baked Onion Rings

                If you love onion rings but not the fat from frying them, try baking them. The crisp rings round out lunch or make a scrumptious snack.
                Serves 6 to 8

                Ingredients:
                2 large sweet onions
                2 eggs
                1 1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
                2 tsp sugar
                1 tsp paprika
                1/4 tsp garlic salt
                1/4 tsp seasoned salt

                Method:
                Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut onion into 1/2-inch-thick slices and separate into rings.
                In shallow dish, whisk eggs. In another shallow dish, combine crushed cornflakes, sugar, paprika, garlic salt and seasoned salt.
                Dip onion rings into eggs, then coat with cornflake mixture.
                Arrange rings in a single layer on greased baking sheet. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until tender.

                Note:
                Can be fried using this recipe when flour is seasoned and used. Dip and flour twice then fry in 375 degrees F oil.

                Tobacco Onions

                This recipe is adapted from one developed by Dean Fearing, chef at The Mansion on Turtle Creek. The name comes from the onions' distinctive color after frying. Try them as a side dish, as well as a topping for soups, sandwiches, and Frito Pie.

                Ingredients:
                5 cup peanut oil
                1 cup all-purpose flour
                1 tsp salt
                1 tsp pepper
                1 tsp paprika
                1/2 tsp cayenne
                2 large 1015 or yellow onions, peeled, thinly sliced, and separated
                into rings

                Method:
                Heat oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat to 350 degrees. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl; add onions, and toss. Shake off excess dry mix, and fry rings, a few at a time, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels, and keep warm until serving.

                Tony Roma's Onion Rings Copycat Recipe

                Ingredients:
                6 white onions
                1 cup milk
                3 eggs, beaten
                salt, to taste
                2 cups pancake mix, like Bisquick

                Method:
                Slice the onions crosswise and separate into rings.
                Combine milk, eggs and salt in mixing bowl.
                Soak the onions in the mixture about 30 minutes.
                Place pancake mix in a shallow bowl.
                Heat oil for frying in skillet to 375 degrees.
                Remove the onion rings from milk mixture, dip in pancake mix and place in hot oil. Fry rings until golden brown and drain on paper towels. Pack fried onion rings solidly, but loosely, without pressing, into an 8x4-inch loaf pan.

                Bake at 400 degrees 10 to 15 minutes. Turn onto serving plate.

                Dining is and always was a great artistic opportunity.
                ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

                --- In Kraft-Meals-Made-Simple@yahoogroups.com, "S. Layarda" <s.layarda@...> wrote:

                > hi... can someone here share the recipe to make good onion ring pleaseeee.
                > maybe David or Scott can help, as the two of you is the GURU in this group.
                > thank you..
                > ciao ciao...

              • Diane Wolfgang
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 1, 2009
                  where can I find Panco Japanese or chinese bread crumbs ? Diane
                • Diane Wolfgang
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 1, 2009
                    I have mix for onion rings I like Japanese style call tempra batter onion rings
                  • S. Layarda
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 1, 2009
                      WOOOWWW.. IT'S AWESOME ...THANKS ALOT DAVID
                      sylvia

> [...]

                      Slice the onions crosswise and separate into rings.
                      Combine milk, eggs and salt in mixing bowl.
                      Soak the onions in the mixture about 30 minutes.
                      Place pancake mix in a shallow bowl.
                      Heat oil for frying in skillet to 375 degrees.
                      Remove the onion rings from milk mixture, dip in pancake mix and place in hot oil. Fry rings until golden brown and drain on paper towels. Pack fried onion rings solidly, but loosely, without pressing, into an 8x4-inch loaf pan.

                      Bake at 400 degrees 10 to 15 minutes. Turn onto serving plate.

                      Dining is and always was a great artistic opportunity.
                      ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

                      --- In Kraft-Meals-Made-Simple@yahoogroups.com, "S. Layarda" <s.layarda@...> wrote:

                      > hi... can someone here share the recipe to make good onion ring pleaseeee.
                      > maybe David or Scott can help, as the two of you is the GURU in this group.

                    • xenophon
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 1, 2009