Mexican spices/Taco Seasoning

  • mohd_zarka
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2009
      My kids like Mexican food. I usually buy the taco and fajita seasoning.I am intersted to know the ingredients of the spices and the measurments for home preparation if possible.

      Many thanks
    • David R
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 14, 2009
        Hi...here is a collection I use and like...any homemade mix can be made with or without salt or just adjusted to taste....best part is they dont have all the extra chemicals and fillers the packaged stuff does....best regards...David

        Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix

        This is compatible to Lawry's Taco Mix. I get complements every time I make it.
        Makes: 1/2 cup

        Ingredients:
        3 Tbsp Chili Powder
        5 tsp Paprika
        4 1/2 tsp Cumin
        3 tsp Onion Powder
        2 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
        1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper

        Method:
        In storage container with tight-fitting lid, combine all ingredients; mix well. Seal tightly. Store in cool, dry place for up to 6 months.

        Seven teaspoons of mix equal a 1.25 oz. pkg. of purchased taco seasoning mix.

        ================================

        Lawry's Taco Seasoning

        From Chef Tom:
        "I never buy those seasoning packages at the store anymore. Why pay extra for spices I already have at home? I just mix a batch together and store it in a sealed container for whenever needed. Feel free to add a little more Cayenne for some extra kick!"

        Ingredients:
        1 1/4 tsp Chili powder
        1 tsp Paprika
        1 tsp Salt
        3/4 tsp minced onion
        1/2 tsp Cumin
        1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
        1/4 tsp Garlic powder
        1/4 tsp Sugar
        1/8 tsp Ground oregano
        1 Tbsp Flour

        Method:
        Combine all of these dry ingredients in a small bowl. Store in an air tight container.

        Need the instructions for tacos that always comes on the back of the package???

        To prepare the meat filling for tacos preheat a large skillet.
        Brown 1 pound ground beef; drain the fat. Add your Taco Seasoning that you prepared previously and 2/3 cup water to the beef; mix thoroughly. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook,
        uncovered, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

        Serve taco filling with warmed taco shells or tortillas. Top with shredded lettuce, grated cheddar cheese and chopped tomato or fresh salsa.

        This recipe makes enough meat filling for 12 tacos.

        Note:
        For great taco's substitute tomato sauce for the water when making.

        ================================

        Taco Seasoning

        "A mixture of spices and a little cornstarch for thickening, that closely resembles The packaged taco seasoning you might find in the store. There is no salt in this mixture."

        Ingredients:
        6 teaspoons chili powder
        5 teaspoons paprika
        4 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
        2 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
        2 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
        1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
        1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

        Method:
        In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine chili powder, paprika, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and cornstarch. Close lid securely, and shake well to mix contents. 7 teaspoons is equivalent to 1 (1.25 ounce) package of taco seasoning.

        ================================

        Taco Seasoning 2

        Ingredients:
        2 Tbsp flour
        2 tsp chili powder
        1 tsp paprika
        1 tsp salt
        1/2 tsp cumin
        1 tsp dried minced onion
        1/4 tsp onion powder
        1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
        1/4 tsp garlic powder
        1/4 tsp sugar
        1/8 tsp ground oregano

        Method:
        Mix all ingredients for taco seasoning and store in a sealed container unless you are using it right away.

        ================================

        Emeril's Southwest Seasoning

        From Chef Tom: "BAM!!! It's time to kick it up a notch! ...hehe... I always wanted to say that. This spice blend has become a staple in my kitchen, I find myself adding it to many of my dishes for a little extra flavor and spice! Mix it up and store it for future use."

        Ingredients:
        2 Tbsp chili powder
        2 tsp ground cumin
        2 Tbsp paprika
        1 tsp black pepper
        1 Tbsp ground coriander
        1 tsp cayenne pepper
        1 Tbsp garlic powder
        1 tsp crushed red pepper
        1 Tbsp salt
        1 Tbsp dried oregano

        Method:
        Combine all ingredients thoroughly. Store in sealed container.

        ================================

        AB's Chili Powder

        Adapted from Alton Brown

        Ingredients:
        3 ancho chilies
        3 New Mexican or Californian chilies
        3 dried Arbol chilies
        2 Tbsp whole cumin seeds
        2 Tbsp garlic powder
        1 Tbsp dried Mexican oregano
        1 tsp smoked paprika

        Method:
        Place chilies on a baking sheet and into a 350 degree oven. When fragrant, remove chilies and allow to cool. Seed chilies and break into small pieces into the bowl of a spice grinder. Grind chilies into a fine powder and move into an airtight container.

        Place cumin seeds in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Toast until fragrant, and then pour into the bowl of a spice grinder. Grind cumin into a fine powder and move into the container with the chili powder.

        Add the garlic powder, oregano, and paprika with the chili powder and cumin, cover, and shake to combine. Store for up to 6 months.

        ================================

        Homemade Chili Powder

        Yields 1/3 cup

        Ingredients:
        4 dried hot chili peppers
        3 dried ancho peppers
        4 tsp cumin seed
        1 tsp garlic powder
        1 tsp ground coriander
        1 tsp dried oregano
        1/2 tsp whole cloves

        Method:
        In a blender or spice mill combine ingredients and grind to a powder. Place in a airtight container and store in a cool dry place.

        Note:
        For hotter chili powder increase number of hot peppers.

        =================================

        Homemade Chili Powder

        Yes, it's copycat, but it's dirt cheap and has only 4 mg. sodium per tablespoon
        Makes about 4 Tbsp

        Ingredients:
        2 Tbsp paprika
        2 tsp oregano
        1 1/4 tsp cumin
        1 1/4 tsp garlic powder
        1 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
        3/4 tsp onion powder

        Method:
        Mix'em up.

        ================================

        Wendy's Chili Seasoning (Copycat)

        Makes 3/8 cup

        Ingredients
        2 Tbsp red pepper flakes
        1 Tbsp seasoning salt
        1 Tbsp instant minced onion, very finely crushed
        1 tsp dry parsley flakes, rubbed to a fine dust
        1 tsp garlic powder, very finely crushed
        1 envelope taco seasoning mix ("or" 7 1/2 tsp Miller's Taco Seasoning Mix)

        Method:
        Stir all ingredients well together and store in a bottle with tight cap. Store at room temperature and use within 6 months.

        ================================

        Miller's Taco Seasoning Mix (Low Salt or Salt Free)

        Kick the salt habit and still have delicious tacos! With just the bouillon it is low salt or can be salt free if you use no salt bouillon.
        Makes almost 3 cups

        Ingredients:
        8 tsp onion powder
        8 tsp salt-free lemon pepper
        6 tsp crushed dried red peppers
        4 tsp cayenne pepper
        4 tsp chili powder
        4 tsp granulated beef bouillon
        4 tsp cocoa powder
        4 tsp ground cumin
        2 tsp garlic powder
        2 tsp cornstarch

        Method:
        Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Place 7 1/2 teaspoons of the mixture in a small plastic food storage bag, eliminate as much air from the bag as possible, and seal. Repeat to make as many packages as desired. Label each package as follows: Cook 1 lb. ground beef in skillet, and drain off fat. Add 1 package (7 1/2 teaspoons) of Miller's Taco Seasoning Mix and 1/2 to 3/4 cup water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook uncovered about 10 minutes, stirring once or twice.

        Dining is and always was a great artistic opportunity.
        ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

        --- In Kraft-Meals-Made-Simple@yahoogroups.com, "mohd_zarka" <mohamed.zarka@...> wrote:

        > My kids like Mexican food. I usually buy the taco and fajita seasoning.I am intersted to know the ingredients of the spices and the measurments for home preparation if possible.
        >
        > Many thanks

      • smokeyjoe859
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 14, 2009
          Here's a few I like.

          Copycat Lawry's Taco Seasoning

          Makes 12 tacos

          1 1/4 tsp Chili Powder
          1 tsp Paprika
          1 tsp Salt
          3/4 tsp Dried Minced Onion
          1/2 tsp Cumin
          1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
          1/4 tsp Garlic powder
          1/4 tsp Sugar
          1/8 tsp Ground oregano
          1 tbsp Flour

          Combine all of these dry ingredients in a small bowl. Store in an airtight container.

          To prepare the meat filling for tacos preheat a large skillet. Brown 1 pound ground beef; drain the fat. Add your Taco Seasoning that you prepared previously and 2/3 cup water to the beef; mix thoroughly. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook, uncovered, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

          Serve taco filling with warmed taco shells or tortillas. Top with shredded lettuce, grated cheddar cheese and chopped tomato or fresh salsa.

          Article printed from The Secret Recipe Blog: http://www.recipesecrets.net/blog
          URL to article: http://www.recipesecrets.net/blog/recipes/copycat-lawrys-taco-seasoning/
          Posted By ChefTom

          Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix

          Makes: 1/2 cup

          3 tbsp Chili Powder
          5 tsp Paprika
          4 1/2 tsp Cumin
          3 tsp Onion Powder
          2 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
          1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper

          In storage container with tight-fitting lid, combine all ingredients; mix well. Seal tightly. Store in cool, dry place for up to 6 months.

          Seven teaspoons of mix equal a 1.25 oz. pkg. of purchased taco seasoning mix.

          From Robbie Shelton's Database

          Seven teaspoons mix contains 90mg Sodium.

          Taco Seasoning

          Prep Time: 1 Minute
          Ready In: 1 Minute
          Yields: 10 servings

          1 tbsp Chili Powder
          1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
          1/4 tsp Onion Powder
          1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
          1/4 tsp Dried Oregano
          1/2 tsp Paprika
          1 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
          1/2 tsp Sea Salt
          1 tsp Black Pepper
          1/2 tbsp Flour

          In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.

          Brown ground beef; drain the fat. Return to pan. Stir in 1/2 cup of hot water and 3 tbsp of seasoning per pound of meat. Simmer to desired consistency stirring frequently.

          Allrecipes.com
          Submitted by: BILL ECHOLS

          Smokey