Cooking Questions Reply to Amanda

  • Sandra Springs-Wolf
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11, 2009
      Hi Amanda,

      Here's some substitutes from  http://www.eatingwell.com/eat_drink/food_guides/alcohol_substitution.html

      Cointreau: Orange juice concentrate
      Crème de cassis: Black currant Italian soda syrup or black currant jam
      Frangelico: Hazelnut or almond extract
      Grand Marnier or other orange-flavored liqueur: Unsweetened orange juice concentrate
      Marsala: White grape juice
      Port: Concord grape juice with a pinch of lime zest; cranberry juice with a dash of lemon juice; or Concord grape juice concentrate
      Rum: 1/2 teaspoon rum extract plus enough water to make 1 tablespoon in place of each tablespoon of rum
      Sherry: Unsweetened apple, orange or pineapple juice plus 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
      Vermouth, dry: White grape juice or white-wine vinegar
      Vermouth, sweet: Apple juice, grape juice or balsamic vinegar
      Wine, white: White grape juice, apple juice or chicken broth
      Wine, red: Concord grape juice, cranberry juice or beef broth

      Also the "Cooks Thesaurus" never fails me.for suggested substitutions:  http://www.foodsubs

      Good luck Amanda!
      Sandra :)
    • Scotty Holt
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 11, 2009
        I've tried several substitutions of my own and have never found one to match the
        complexity of flavor the original brings.However a poor wine is not much better than
        a good juice as far as flavor for cooking goes. You need to determine what your
        taste level is going to be and make your choice from there.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 11, 2009
          > From: "Sandra Springs-Wolf" <springswolf8@...>
          > Hi Amanda,
          >
          > Here's some substitutes from
          > http://www.eatingwell.com/eat_drink/food_guides/alcohol_substitution.html
          >
          > Cointreau: Orange juice concentrate
          > Crème de cassis: Black currant Italian soda syrup or black currant jam
          > Frangelico: Hazelnut or almond extract
          > Grand Marnier or other orange-flavored liqueur: Unsweetened orange juice
          > concentrate
          > Marsala: White grape juice
          > Port: Concord grape juice with a pinch of lime zest; cranberry juice with
          > a dash of lemon juice; or Concord grape juice concentrate
          > Rum: 1/2 teaspoon rum extract plus enough water to make 1 tablespoon in
          > place of each tablespoon of rum
          > Sherry: Unsweetened apple, orange or pineapple juice plus 1 teaspoon
          > vanilla extract
          > Vermouth, dry: White grape juice or white-wine vinegar
          > Vermouth, sweet: Apple juice, grape juice or balsamic vinegar
          > Wine, white: White grape juice, apple juice or chicken broth
          > Wine, red: Concord grape juice, cranberry juice or beef broth
          >
          > Also the "Cooks Thesaurus" never fails me.for suggested substitutions:
          > http://www.foodsubs
          >
          > Good luck Amanda!
          > Sandra :)

          It is sincerely to be hoped that you do not actually expect the resulting
          dish to taste anything like the dish made with the original ingredients.
          White grape juice for Marsala?! Have you ever actually tasted Marsala?

          cheers,
          scott
        • xenophon
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 13, 2009

            Absolutely! It is not necessary to use a vintage that one would reserve for
            friends to savor with you, but one should _never_ever_ cook with a wine that
            one would not drink at table. To do so lessens the experience of the repast,
            and if you value the opinions of your guests, lessens you in the eyes of the
            discerning guests whom you may host. If you must forego using the spirit
            called for in the recipe, prepare two versions, one with and one without,
            that those who do not share your aversion may enjoy the fullness of the dish
            as it was meant to be experienced. If you care not whether the dish tastes
            as it was meant to taste, and mean to dine alone, then take whatever
            liberties you may. Just don't expect the result to come close to what you
            would enjoy were the dish to be prepared as specified.