RE: [Kraft-Meals-Made-Simple] cooking question

  • BELINDA CARR
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 10, 2009
      I would use coca-cola instead of coffee. I use left over coffee in my roast as a tenderizer and cola in my beans, bar b q sauces,desert sauces,in alot of things. if I was going to use it in say tiramisu i would probably simmer it to take some of the water out before using.

      To: Kraft-Meals-Made-Simple@yahoogroups.com
      From: Amadablau@...
      Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 19:50:20 +0000
      Subject: [Kraft-Meals-Made-Simple] cooking question

      I do not drink coffee or any alcohol and so I do not feel comfortable cooking with it. So when a recipe calls for either of these items, is there something I can replace it with?
      Thanx for your help.
      ~Amanda
    • Melinda Urquhart
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 11, 2009
        Here is the list I use. I definitely don't use coffee either, but I
        generally substitute with water or juice depending on what I am making. In
        some of the iced drinks, I use caramel or chocolate sauces.

        Here is the link for the substitute of alcohol.
        http://whatscookingamerica.net/alcoholsub.htm

        Hope this helps.

        Melinda

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 11, 2009
          Hi,

          Some things to remember about using alcohol is that some who are extremely
          sensitive to it can have a reaction to it even though there is no alcohol
          left. I am of Native American descent and have had reactions even to a
          couple of tablespoons cooked in a sauce for several hours. I just don't like
          the reaction and try to stay away from even the slightest bit. This is also
          true of certain types of alcoholics which I would probably be if I ever
          tried alcohol.

          My reaction to coffee is just that I never learned to like the taste. I
          finally learned to like tea for my "adult" drink, but I still can't stand
          coffee in any form - something my two daughters and two grandchildren tease
          me about unmercifully.

          Melin
        • Scotty Holt
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 11, 2009
            While I will agree in basics that you can substitute grape juice for wine,I must stress
            that you WILL NOT get the same flavor as wines are more than simply alcoholic grape
            juices.Wines contain many subtle tastes obtained from ingredients,the processing,
            and even the type of barrel they are aged in.So there is no real substitute,only poor
            copies.

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 12, 2009
              Hi Scotty
              Some people do not consume coffee, tea (black) or any alcohol for religious reasons. The Mormons for example are not supposed to drink coffee or alcohol.

              Christel

              May I inquire why you don't feel comfortable using these? The alcohol I can understand but please remember you actually cook out the alcohol content and are using the flavors so it would be the same as having a virgin version of a drink.

              --
            • mormondeborah@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 12, 2009
                Postum?

                deborah

                In a message dated 7/11/2009 10:33:42 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                Kraft-Meals-Made-Simple@yahoogroups.com writes:_Re: cooking question _
                xBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyNzU2MDEwBGdycHNwSWQDMzg1NTM0NjM5OQRtc2dJZAMxMjk
                xOARzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjQ3MzY5NjAy)

                Posted by: "Christel Webb" _christel.webb@... _
                (mailto:christel.webb@...?Subject= Re:%20cooking%20question) _christel_webb _
                (http://profiles.yahoo.com/christel_webb)
                Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:23 pm (PDT)
                Hi Amanda
                As far as I know you can't substitute coffee unless you try chicore coffee
                which isn't really coffee, nor even nearly:) You'd be save with chicore
                trust me. We used to drink it when we were Children as Children weren't
                allowed coffee in that time, I'm talking 50s lol. To substitute alcolhol
                you
                can take any fruit juice. So if the recipe asks for brandy you can use
                grape
                juice. But I don't know what you could substitute rum with, may be you can
                buy some essence which is only a flavor.

                Hope I could help
                Christel
              • Lobo Jugvit
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 12, 2009
                  Could any one tell why do iodies salt do not dissolve in oil at any form of  temperature the oil is at.

                  (http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Kraft- Meals-Made- Simple/message/ 12918;_ylc= X3oDMTJzMGl1ZmV

                  Posted by: "Christel Webb" _christel.webb@ gmail.com _
                  (mailto:christel.webb@ gmail.com?Subject= Re:%20cooking% 20question) _christel_webb _
                  (http://profiles. yahoo.com/ christel_ webb)
                  Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:23 pm (PDT)
                  Hi Amanda
                  As far as I know you can't substitute coffee unless you try chicore coffee
                  which isn't really coffee, nor even nearly:) You'd be save with chicore
                  trust me. We used to drink it when we were Children as Children weren't
                  allowed coffee in that time, I'm talking 50s lol. To substitute alcolhol
                  you
                  can take any fruit juice. So if the recipe asks for brandy you can use
                  grape
                  juice. But I don't know what you could substitute rum with, may be you can
                  buy some essence which is only a flavor.

                  Hope I could help
                  Christel

                • Christel Webb
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 13, 2009
                    Hello Melinda

                    Thank you for explaining why you don't want to cook or bake with coffee or alcohol. It is very much appreciated. I always say that if you are not understood and you WANT to be understood, you have to explain. But you don't have to justify any of your likes or dislikes or doings and not doings. In my opinion, you can consider your self very lucky of not liking coffee and not being able to consume even the smallest amount of alcohol, that saves you a lot of money and it is definitely healthier to live without these addictive things.

                    Stay as you are, you are just fine:)

                    Christel

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 13, 2009
                      Cristel WEbb. I have a question could u please help me to solve this. the question is, why do iodise salt do not disolve in oil at any form of temperature the oil is at.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 14, 2009
                        Hi...salts of most any kind are not soluable in oil but are soluable in most other liquids due to their chemical makeup....best regards...David

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 14, 2009
                          HI David, try n experiment this by adding a drop or two of  water into the salt moisten it a bit n then add to the oil then u will observe it start disolving, the reason is the iodise salt are dehydrated all the moister are taken out with the result it stays as the same in oil i will give u an example when u r cooking u add oil first heat it n then the other ingrident season it with little or lots of salt after stirring it do the salt stay as solid can u find any of it, here it is the other ingrident consist of moister which help in dissolving the salt