Re: [Kraft-Meals-Made-Simple] cooking question

  • Christel Webb
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 10, 2009
      Hi Amanda

      As far as I know you can't substitute coffee unless you try chicore coffee which isn't really coffee, nor even nearly:) You'd be save with chicore trust me. We used to drink it when we were Children as Children weren't allowed coffee in that time, I'm talking 50s lol. To substitute alcolhol you can take any fruit juice. So if the recipe asks for brandy you can use grape juice. But I don't know what you could substitute rum with, may be you can buy some essence which is only a flavor.

      Hope I could help
      Christel
      2009/7/11 Amanda <Amadablau@...>

      I do not drink coffee or any alcohol and so I do not feel comfortable cooking with it. So when a recipe calls for either of these items, is there something I can replace it with?
      Thanx for your help.
      ~Amanda

      --
      If you'd like to begin a personal relationship with Jesus today, please pray this prayer:
      Lord Jesus, I invite You into my life. I believe You died for me and that Your blood pays for my sins, I now turn from everything I know is wrong. Thank you for the gift of eternal life, By faith I receive that gift, and I acknowledge You as my Lord and Saviour.
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 10, 2009
        I would use coca-cola instead of coffee. I use left over coffee in my roast as a tenderizer and cola in my beans, bar b q sauces,desert sauces,in alot of things. if I was going to use it in say tiramisu i would probably simmer it to take some of the water out before using.

        To: Kraft-Meals-Made-Simple@yahoogroups.com
        From: Amadablau@...
        Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 19:50:20 +0000
        Subject: [Kraft-Meals-Made-Simple] cooking question

        I do not drink coffee or any alcohol and so I do not feel comfortable cooking with it. So when a recipe calls for either of these items, is there something I can replace it with?
        Thanx for your help.
        ~Amanda
      • Scotty Holt
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 11, 2009
          May I inquire why you don't feel comfortable using these? The alcohol I can understand but please remember you actually cook out the alcohol content and are using the flavors so it would be the same as having a virgin version of a drink.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 11, 2009
            Here is the list I use. I definitely don't use coffee either, but I
            generally substitute with water or juice depending on what I am making. In
            some of the iced drinks, I use caramel or chocolate sauces.

            Here is the link for the substitute of alcohol.
            http://whatscookingamerica.net/alcoholsub.htm

            Hope this helps.

            Melinda

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 11, 2009
              Hi,

              Some things to remember about using alcohol is that some who are extremely
              sensitive to it can have a reaction to it even though there is no alcohol
              left. I am of Native American descent and have had reactions even to a
              couple of tablespoons cooked in a sauce for several hours. I just don't like
              the reaction and try to stay away from even the slightest bit. This is also
              true of certain types of alcoholics which I would probably be if I ever
              tried alcohol.

              My reaction to coffee is just that I never learned to like the taste. I
              finally learned to like tea for my "adult" drink, but I still can't stand
              coffee in any form - something my two daughters and two grandchildren tease
              me about unmercifully.

              Melin
            • Scotty Holt
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 11, 2009
                While I will agree in basics that you can substitute grape juice for wine,I must stress
                that you WILL NOT get the same flavor as wines are more than simply alcoholic grape
                juices.Wines contain many subtle tastes obtained from ingredients,the processing,
                and even the type of barrel they are aged in.So there is no real substitute,only poor
                copies.

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 12, 2009
                  Hi Scotty
                  Some people do not consume coffee, tea (black) or any alcohol for religious reasons. The Mormons for example are not supposed to drink coffee or alcohol.

                  Christel

                • mormondeborah@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 12, 2009
                    Postum?

                    deborah

                    In a message dated 7/11/2009 10:33:42 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                    Kraft-Meals-Made-Simple@yahoogroups.com writes:_Re: cooking question _
                    xBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIyNzU2MDEwBGdycHNwSWQDMzg1NTM0NjM5OQRtc2dJZAMxMjk
                    xOARzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjQ3MzY5NjAy)

                    Posted by: "Christel Webb" _christel.webb@... _
                    (mailto:christel.webb@...?Subject= Re:%20cooking%20question) _christel_webb _
                    (http://profiles.yahoo.com/christel_webb)
                    Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:23 pm (PDT)
                    Hi Amanda
                    As far as I know you can't substitute coffee unless you try chicore coffee
                    which isn't really coffee, nor even nearly:) You'd be save with chicore
                    trust me. We used to drink it when we were Children as Children weren't
                    allowed coffee in that time, I'm talking 50s lol. To substitute alcolhol
                    you
                    can take any fruit juice. So if the recipe asks for brandy you can use
                    grape
                    juice. But I don't know what you could substitute rum with, may be you can
                    buy some essence which is only a flavor.

                    Hope I could help
                    Christel
                  • Lobo Jugvit
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 12, 2009
                      Could any one tell why do iodies salt do not dissolve in oil at any form of  temperature the oil is at.

                      (http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Kraft- Meals-Made- Simple/message/ 12918;_ylc= X3oDMTJzMGl1ZmV

                      Posted by: "Christel Webb" _christel.webb@ gmail.com _
                      (mailto:christel.webb@ gmail.com?Subject= Re:%20cooking% 20question) _christel_webb _

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 13, 2009
                        Hello Melinda

                        Thank you for explaining why you don't want to cook or bake with coffee or alcohol. It is very much appreciated. I always say that if you are not understood and you WANT to be understood, you have to explain. But you don't have to justify any of your likes or dislikes or doings and not doings. In my opinion, you can consider your self very lucky of not liking coffee and not being able to consume even the smallest amount of alcohol, that saves you a lot of money and it is definitely healthier to live without these addictive things.

                        Stay as you are, you are just fine:)

                        Christel

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 13, 2009
                          Cristel WEbb. I have a question could u please help me to solve this. the question is, why do iodise salt do not disolve in oil at any form of temperature the oil is at.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 14, 2009
                            Hi...salts of most any kind are not soluable in oil but are soluable in most other liquids due to their chemical makeup....best regards...David

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 14, 2009
                              HI David, try n experiment this by adding a drop or two of  water into the salt moisten it a bit n then add to the oil then u will observe it start disolving, the reason is the iodise salt are dehydrated all the moister are taken out with the result it stays as the same in oil i will give u an example when u r cooking u add oil first heat it n then the other ingrident season it with little or lots of salt after stirring it do the salt stay as solid can u find any of it, here it is the other ingrident consist of moister which help in dissolving the salt