Re: [Kraft-Meals-Made-Simple] just some open thoughts of cooking

  • Veronica Esquierdo-Asinas
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2009
      Yes! both of you are right, the number that must be consider is the culture and the rest follows. Thanks.
      <Bhel>

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2009
        We all must remember that whether it be baking or plain boiling, frying, sauteing, it is always a trial and error thing. what I do is cook it first following the recipe by the book and take note of what needs to be adjusted.

        Cecille Verches-Labonete
      • ariannesas
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
          --- In Kraft-Meals-Made-Simple@yahoogroups.com, "thewizardofoz01" <thewizardofoz01@...> wrote:

          > to all members of this group
          >
          > First i like to say that it is really good to see some great recipes from many of you some even with a new twist on old calssic dishes that people eat on a daily basis.
          > But i must say as well as a chef myself who work in all areas of the food industry for over 35 years from fast food to five star hotels i am surprised at way these recipes are writen.
          > First off cooking is about experienting with flavours it is not a presise thing. I thing some here are confused between the difference of cooking and baking!
          > In cooking we do not use prise mesurents and we definately do not use grams and teaspoons or tablespoons or other simple measurements,in the cooking volcabulary.
          > Cooking is taste, flavours and own individual likes and dislikes. Unless you are cooking for some restaurant or other faculity recipes do not have to exact.
          > One secret is to add flavours and spices and seasonings a little at a time then taste it you can always add but you cannot remove so best is to add alittle at a time.
          > A recipe is not a bible either same as cook books you do not have to follow them as they are written they are only ideas not need to be followed pricisely either. If u do not have an igrediant use something else simular or different as well. After all your cooking it for self.
          >
          > Recipes should be written by ingredients but not to pricisely and method let people season the way they want and approximate igrediants as well . Baking is the only time you need pricise measurements is in baking.
          >
          > So please remeber this whenever you send a recipe here or give some one a recipe cooking is great with so many ideas and flavours and is something great to do and learn and experient with. So please keep cooking but also remeber do not take recipes literally use the igredient but to your taste as im sure most of are only cooking at home so play with idea and do not take it so serious but please lets keep the baking vocabularity out of the cooking vocabularity and have fun and enjoy the world of joyous cooking and creating and eating what you created. Bon Appetit

          Good day!Yes,i agree because for me,cooking is a talent,a passion to care of.
        • Melinda Urquhart
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 4, 2009
            Hi Wizard and All,

            When I first started using recipes to cook and the first time I make
            something, I usually follow the recipe closely unless I know there is
            something my family doesn't like. I learned to cook in a restaurant for a
            large number of people. When I cooked at home with my mother or grandmother,
            we usually had 20 or more people to feed. I went from that to two people to
            feed and no real freezer space. Now I know what my family prefers. I also
            know that as a food cooks, the taste of the spices change so the first time
            I make something might not work. I have never made a recipe twice that most
            of my family doesn't like.

            The reason some restaurants do not use seasonings in their food because some
            people might not like those seasonings or, in some cases, can not have them.
            Salt is a big one on this. While a lot of things can add the "salt" flavor
            without the salt, cooks (as opposed to chefs) may not know this. I learned
            when my husband had to go to a low sodium diet. Thankfully, by then, my
            daughter was able to help me find substitutes.

            Even in baking, I find I do not do a lot of measuring except for the basics.
            I almost always use more flavoring than is called for (vanilla, etc.) and
            toppings on coffee cakes and such. Cooking and baking are fun. They can also
            be used as a bonding and / or educational time with kids of all ages.

            Good luck all

            Melinda