tiramisu

  • uma narendar
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2009
      TIRAMISU

      An elegant and exotic Italian dessert of sponge cake soaked with coffee and Kahlua and sandwiched with fresh custard cream.

      Baking Time : 30 min.
      Preparation Time : 20 min.

      Serves 4 to 6.

      Ingredients

      1 eggless sponge cake

      To be mixed into a soaking syrup

      1 cup black coffee
      1/3 cup Kahlua (optional)

      For the custard cream

      1 1/2 cups milk
      5 to 6 teaspoons sugar
      4 teaspoons custard powder
      1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
      3 tablespoons thick cream
      sherry or rum to taste (optional)

      For the garnish

      1 tablespoon coffee powder

      For the custard cream

      1. Put the milk custard and the sugar to boil.

      2. Mix the custard powder with a little cold milk.

      3. When the milk starts boiling, add the custard powder and cook for 1 minute. Cool.

      4. Add the cream, vanilla essence and sherry and mix well.

      How to proceed

      1. Divide the cake into 2 parts. Soak thoroughly with the soaking syrup.

      2. Place one layer of the cake on a serving dish. Spread half of the custard cream over it.

      3. Cover with the other layer of cake. Spread the balance custard cream.

      4. Sprinkle coffee powder on top to decorate.

      5. Serve chilled.

      Tips

      You can use rum instead of kahlua.
    • Elizabeth Winful
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2009
        Thank you so much Uma I have not participated much online since I joined but I must say that I read most of the messages. My life has not been the same since I tasted Tiramisu this dessert is to die for and I thank you so much for posting the recipe. I will send you some delicious Ghanaian recipes soon. Elizabeth
      • uma narendar
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 14, 2009

          EGGLESS TIRAMISU
          Popular Italian Coffee Cheese Cake

          Preparation Time : 30-40 minutes

          Cooking Time : 20-30 minutes

          Servings : 4

          Ingredients

          Eggless sponge cake , 6 inch  1
          Vanilla Custard powder  4 teaspoons
          Milk  1 1/2 cup
          Sugar  6 teaspoons
          Instant coffee powder  1 tablespoon
          Hung curd  4 tablespoons
          Whipped cream  3 tablespoons

          Method

          Slice the cake horizontally into three slices.
          Mix custard powder in a little cold milk. Heat the remaining milk in a pan, add the custard powder mixture and cook, stirring continuously, till it begins to thicken.
          Add sugar and stir till it dissolves. Set aside to cool.
          Heat a cup of water in a pan. Add one teaspoon instant coffee powder and mix. Set aside to cool.Add hung curd to the cooled custard and mix. Add the whipped cream and mix well.
          Place the base slice of the cake in a glass bowl. Pour some of the coffee decoction over it and let it soak well. Spread some of the custard mixture all over it.
          Soak the remaining cake slices in the remaining coffee decoction. Place another cake slice over the one in the bowl and spread some of the custard mixture all over it. Cover it with the third cake slice. Pour the remaining custard mixture over it and spread it over the top and the sides of the sandwiched cake.
          Put the remaining instant coffee powder in a small sieve and sprinkle it all over the top of the tiramisu. Keep it in the refrigerator to set for at least one and a half hours.
          Serve chilled.
          CHOCOLATE BANANA CUP CAKE
          Chocolate cup cakes with banana flavour

          Preparation Time : 15-20 minutes

          Cooking Time : 30-40 minutes

          Servings : 4

          Ingredients

          Cocoa powder  3 tablespoons
          Ripe elaichi bananas  3
          Refined flour (maida)  2 cups
          Baking powder  1 teaspoon
          Eggs  2
          Golden syrup/honey  2 tablespoons
          Brown sugar  2/3 cup
          Oil  4 tablespoons
          Skimmed milk  4 tablespoons

          Method

          Preheat oven to 160°C/325oF. Lightly grease the muffin moulds.
          Peel and grate the ripe bananas into a bowl.
          Sift refined flour with cocoa powder and baking powder into a deep bowl.Break eggs and add to the flour mixture. Add the mashed bananas, golden syrup or honey, brown sugar and mix everything well.
          Add oil and mix. Finally add milk and mix well.
          Pour the batter into the muffin moulds, up to three-fourth full. Bake them in the preheated oven for about thirty minutes.
          Cool, demould and serve.
           FRUITY BREAD AND BUTTER PUDDING
          Delicious bread and butter pudding with fresh mixed fruits

          Preparation Time : 10-15 minutes

          Cooking Time : 40-50 minutes

          Servings : 4

          Ingredients

          Pear, cubed  1
          Mango, cubed  1
          Bread  6 slices
          Butter  3 tablespoons
          Raisins  1/4 cup
          Milk  2 cups
          Sugar  1/2 cup
          Eggs  4
          Vanilla essence  1 teaspoon

          Method

          Preheat oven to 180 °C/350 °F.
          Butter the bread slices and cut them in triangles.
          Put the pear and mango cubes in a baking dish. Spread the bread triangles over the fruits so that they are fully covered. Sprinkle raisins.
          Heat milk in a pan. Add sugar to the milk and stir till it dissolves but do not let it boil.
          Break eggs into a bowl and whip. Add the hot milk to the eggs and whip continuously till well mixed. Add vanilla essence and mix. Pour this mixture over the bread and fruits in the baking dish through a sieve.
          Bake in the preheated oven for forty minutes.
          Serve hot or cold.