Thinking of buying - advice please !

  • IAN GRAHAM
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 9, 2010
      Dear 03R/W Forum
      I have the chance to buy an 03R/W. I am being allowed to test it out, and have the Quick Guide and Owner's Manual to hand.

      The unit appears to be in good working order, but there are several things that could be cause for concern, and I would be very grateful for any feedback on several questions from members of this forum. (In all of what follows, I am thinking in terms of using the 03 as a direct Midi sound source for a midi keyboard.)

      1. When first turned on, the display settles to

      A00:initcombi0

      and a 'battery low' warning flashes.

      From this state I can access the G set of GM voices, and a set of A voices.

      The GM voices are named in the display. The A voices are not named. No Combis are available - or rather, they are all the same.

      2. I have been able to do a re-initialisation - the first time from Global 5D, as per the manual, subsequently from 5C. This load appears at the time to be 'saved', but when the unit is switched off, and later switched on again, it is necessary to go through the process again (now from 5C).

      The 'load' gives me a properly named set of A voices, and a set of named combis.

      3. I do not have a disk for either drive slot.

      So, my main concerns are:

      a. is the failure to save the initialisation properly likely to be a function of the 'low battery' ? If the battery is replaced, should the re-initialisation 'take' properly?

      b. To get full use of the unit, I obviously need to be able to edit combinations and save my edits. Shall I (probably) be able to do this without the use of ax external card ?

      c.Of the lists of sounds etc at the back of the Manual, I have been able to access the Preset Programs, the GM programs and the Preset Combinations. I have not been able to find the 254 Multi Sounds named on the back cover.

      Any help will be much appreciated.

      Sincerely

      Ian Graham (newbie)

    • Vlad
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 10, 2010
        It has been 15 years since I owned this unit, but all the "problems" you described are most likely due to dead battery. Replacing it you will be able to save everything to your synth internally.

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 10, 2010
          Yes, it's almost certainly all down to getting a new battery in there. Once that's done, it could be a good idea to do a factory reset/re-initialisation so that the unit behaves coherently (as if it's completely new) so as to make your learning curve and familiarity with the unit nice and optimal.

          --- In Korg03RW@yahoogroups.com, "IAN GRAHAM" <idgraham@...> wrote:

          > Dear 03R/W Forum
          > I have the chance to buy an 03R/W. I am being allowed to test it out, and have the Quick Guide and Owner's Manual to hand.
          >
          > The unit appears to be in good working order, but there are several things that could be cause for concern, and I would be very grateful for any feedback on several questions from members of this forum. (In all of what follows, I am thinking in terms of using the 03 as a direct Midi sound source for a midi keyboard.)
          >
          > 1. When first turned on, the display settles to
          >
          > A00:initcombi0
          >
          > and a 'battery low' warning flashes.
          >
          > From this state I can access the G set of GM voices, and a set of A voices.
          >
          > The GM voices are named in the display. The A voices are not named. No Combis are available - or rather, they are all the same.
          >
          > 2. I have been able to do a re-initialisation - the first time from Global 5D, as per the manual, subsequently from 5C. This load appears at the time to be 'saved', but when the unit is switched off, and later switched on again, it is necessary to go through the process again (now from 5C).
          >
          > The 'load' gives me a properly named set of A voices, and a set of named combis.
          >
          > 3. I do not have a disk for either drive slot.
          >
          > So, my main concerns are:
          >
          > a. is the failure to save the initialisation properly likely to be a function of the 'low battery' ? If the battery is replaced, should the re-initialisation 'take' properly?
          >
          > b. To get full use of the unit, I obviously need to be able to edit combinations and save my edits. Shall I (probably) be able to do this without the use of ax external card ?
          >
          > c.Of the lists of sounds etc at the back of the Manual, I have been able to access the Preset Programs, the GM programs and the Preset Combinations. I have not been able to find the 254 Multi Sounds named on the back cover.
          >
          > Any help will be much appreciated.
          >
          > Sincerely
          >

          > Ian Graham (newbie)

        • IAN GRAHAM
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 10, 2010
            Dear Vlad and Adrian

            Thankyou for your reassurances. I may well be back with operating questions in due course ! Well, in fact, one related enquiry immediately, if I may: I assume the Manual contains at least most of what it ought to, technically speaking. But it's not the most user-friendly guide - no index, for a start. Did anyone ever produce any supplementary guides?

            Sincerely

            Ian G.

          • enupnau@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 10, 2010