Sound cards

  • Neil
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2006
      Hey, many thanks for making the set of cards available for all of
      us, I have just sold on eBay an original card named SOUND
      ALTERNATIVES UPC-11, please see image at this link

      http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewItem&item=7422950056&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESO%
      3AIT&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

      This card does not appear on the list so could there have been more
      that 6 produced by KORG ?

      I think I have my 03 loaded with this card, however due to some midi
      problems I won't be able to dump it to sysex just yet, but when I do
      I'll have a go at posting for everyone.

      Am I right in thinking that if you don't have the corresponding pcm
      card that the 03 displays a blank sreen with no sound but only for
      certain patches, the ones it does display when using the sound cards
      must use the factory loaded PCM data.
      In which case this makes it very difficult to select say your
      favourite top 20 patches from the various cards and have them all
      stored on the 03 as internal combis etc, ?

      Any ideas of how to organise this would be welcome, I must admit I
      have never got to grips with sysex as yet so please explain simple
      terms, many thanks again.

      Happy 03ing'
    • aneurysmhook
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2006
        Hi, yes there were more cards than the 6 sets produced. I know there
        was a UPC-11,12 & 13 that were just program data cards that use the
        03r/w's internal PCM only. The 6 are only the ones Korg made that
        came as a set with a PCM and a Program card.

        Patches that use card PCM waves simply check the "C00-C99" memory for
        the card's PCM waves. That's what makes mixing different PCM &
        Program cards work, and fun. The 03r/w doesn't "care" what wave is in
        C01 and C17 if a patch/combi uses them. If no card waves are present
        the sound is played as best the 03 can if any internal PCM waves are
        used. If a patch uses only PCM card waves then you get....well
        silence.

        Not entirely sure about your patch organiztion question though. If a
        computer editor doesn't do it for you a blank SRC256 or SRC512 card
        would work well to send your favorite patches/combis to that from the
        current internal bank. If you meant about patches that use different
        PCM cards being used & saved, you could either find a similar wave(s)
        in the internal PCM, or making your own custom cards does work (I
        still do it). You must use your own samples rather than copy some
        from one card and some from another though. Hope I've been of some
        help.