Re: PCM card workshop

  • aneurysmhook
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
      Hey,

      I was looking around the net for the WS SR Ethnic program card data
      as sysex but no luck.....I did however find this!

      http://www.scene.org/~esa/pccard/

      This answers pretty much all our questions and has I think the only
      download location of the "Free Card Services" Software needed to
      compile pcm workshop cards. It's one step closer at least. Keep us
      informed if anyone successfully compiles a card.

      --- In Korg03RW@yahoogroups.com, "esa ruoho" <esaruoho@d...> wrote:

      > --- In Korg03RW@yahoogroups.com, Matteo Bosi <groups@a...> wrote:
      > > >any of you heard of this?
      > > >http://members.aol.com/wrkshppcm/
      > > yes, i know and i'd like to try, but first i have to find the
      right
      > >PCMCIA card on ebay at a cheap price, and second, i have to
      > understnad >how one can write data in such a card... since some
      links
      > on the site >are broken if someone has experience, please post!
      >
      > if you've got a laptop with a pcmcia slot, you can slide a normal
      korg
      > pcm-card into it and it'll fit in snugly. im still looking for my
      > src-512 card to see what will happen. havent been able to find the
      > pccard software, as the site seems to be dead. and
      unfortunately 'pc
      > card' or 'free card services' just doesnt pop up with anything even
      > remotely useful under google.
      > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-
      us/wceddk40/html/cxconpccarddrivers.asp
      > this is the only remotely useful thing which isnt at all useful
      even.
      > i dont really know where to find the software either. otherwise
      seems
      > like one would jsut plug in the card, run the software, prepare
      pcms,
      > write them on the card, make sure they match with the instructions,
      > and off we go. 03r/w is supposedly supported.. according to the
      author.
    • esa ruoho
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2005
        hello. i found my src-512 card and tried to plug it into the pcmcia slot
        only to find out that it wasnt the one to be slit into a pcmcia slot. so
        now that i dont have a card to write on(and since one costs roughly
        150$?, cant afford one), the only thing i could do was mirror the
        software on my site with the email that the creator of pcm card workshop
        sent to me, with the fileattachment.
        please if anyone tries this out and if it works out, please share where
        you got the cards.. the other parts of the process look very easy to do
        :).. money..
        and yes it really is the only download location, maybe there are others
        but i couldnt find anything on google...

        ///
        Hey,
        I was looking around the net for the WS SR Ethnic program card data as
        sysex but no luck.....I did however find this!
        http://www.scene.org/~esa/pccard/
        This answers pretty much all our questions and has I think the only
        download location of the "Free Card Services" Software needed to compile
        pcm workshop cards. It's one step closer at least. Keep us informed if
        anyone successfully compiles a card.

        --- In Korg03RW@yahoogroups.com, "esa ruoho" <esaruoho@d...> wrote:

        > --- In Korg03RW@yahoogroups.com, Matteo Bosi <groups@a...> wrote:
        > > >any of you heard of this?
        > > >http://members.aol.com/wrkshppcm/
        > > yes, i know and i'd like to try, but first i have to find the
        right
        > >PCMCIA card on ebay at a cheap price, and second, i have to
        > understnad >how one can write data in such a card... since some
        links
        > on the site >are broken if someone has experience, please post!
        >
        > if you've got a laptop with a pcmcia slot, you can slide a normal
        korg
        > pcm-card into it and it'll fit in snugly. im still looking for my
        > src-512 card to see what will happen. havent been able to find the
        > pccard software, as the site seems to be dead. and
        unfortunately 'pc
        > card' or 'free card services' just doesnt pop up with anything even
        > remotely useful under google.
        > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-
        us/wceddk40/html/cxconpccarddrivers.asp
        > this is the only remotely useful thing which isnt at all useful
        even.
        > i dont really know where to find the software either. otherwise
        seems
        > like one would jsut plug in the card, run the software, prepare
        pcms,
        > write them on the card, make sure they match with the instructions,
        > and off we go. 03r/w is supposedly supported.. according to the
        author.

        esa ruoho
        www.lackluster.org
      • aneurysmhook
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 15, 2005
          Hello,
          Okay, I found the lowest priced card I could and got it from:

          Tima Digital Technologies
          471 Herring Cove Road, 2nd Floor
          Halifax, Nova Scotia
          Canada B3R 1W5
          Sales: 1-877-787-9997
          Fax: 1-902-475-3399
          http://www.timasci.com
          http://www.timasci.com/sram.htm

          You can follow the second url above and easily order the 2mb SRAM
          card w/No attribute SN5002-P online. Even with the airmail costs it
          was less than $65 USD total, and took 10 days to get to me in the US
          from Canada. I can say that it is %100 the right card!

          I loaded the Demo.bin or test.bin file from PCMworkshop onto the card
          using "free card services". I pulled the card out of the laptop atfer
          it was done (takes about 1.5 to 2 seconds if that!) put it in my
          03r/w and success! I could access all 5 multisounds and they were all
          playable. I didn't really look terribly hard for the drumkit sounds
          but I'm sure they were there too. I then put the SRAM card in my
          Wavestation SR and again success! I could access all 5 of the demo
          multisounds on the SRAM card. For some reason they sounded a lot
          better to me coming out of the WSSR than the 03r/w and there were no
          fx enabled on either synth.

          Only thing that did not work was making a "backup" of a pcm card I
          already have. I successfully created a 2mb file taken from the XSC-
          804 Dance pcm card and then sent it to the blank 2mb SRAM card. The
          card was recognized and all the correct multisound names were there,
          but no sound could be generated from it using either synth. So,
          apparently, so far, custom cards definitely do work, however, as of
          my experience "backup" copies of existing pcms do not.

          I'm working on a custom card now and anyone who would like can use it
          to at least make a template file for PCMworkshop. Believe me, it's
          much easier to use PCMworkshop if you have a template of some sort
          made. The only program I've found that offers to save plain pcm data
          as the .pcm format extension instead of the much more common .raw
          extension for that file type is CoolEdit. Even, my ancient copy of
          CE95 does the job at saving wav files as .pcm files. Anyone know of
          other old audio editors that work with the .pcm extension and save as
          that?

          Anyway, I hope a few of us will have cards and gain more experience
          and knowledge and be able to share tips and files. Feel free to ask
          any questions or if you want a very rudimentary template, email me.
          Oh and many thanks to Esa for finding "Free Card Services" and to the
          person who uploaded it.

        • esa juhani ruoho
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 7, 2005
            --- In Korg03RW@yahoogroups.com, "aneurysmhook" <aneurysmhook@y...> wrote:
            > Hello,
            > Okay, I found the lowest priced card I could and got it from:
            > Tima Digital Technologies
            > 471 Herring Cove Road, 2nd Floor
            > Halifax, Nova Scotia
            > Canada B3R 1W5
            > Sales: 1-877-787-9997
            > Fax: 1-902-475-3399
            > http://www.timasci.com
            > http://www.timasci.com/sram.htm
            > You can follow the second url above and easily order the 2mb SRAM
            > card w/No attribute SN5002-P online. Even with the airmail costs it
            > was less than $65 USD total, and took 10 days to get to me in the
            >US from Canada. I can say that it is %100 the right card!

            which operating system do you use? some websites claim that winXP will
            only support the pcmcia cards if they have attributes, which of course
            means that i cant use a with-attribute card with 03rw.. right?
            i hope you're using it with a winxp.. with the pcm card workshop.
          • Josh Maly
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 11, 2005
              Hi,
              I use my old Win95 laptop for FreeCard Services, and PCM Workshop files are simple text-based files so I can work on a PCM Workshop project on Win95,98SE,&2000 (that's all I've tested). I've read about WinXP and SRAM cards, but since the KORGs will ONLY read an SRAM card w/NO attribute/cis memory......what you need to do is basically "blind-write" the binary data to the data blocks in the card. So, the fact that they are "unsupported" doesn't matter since you need a cis/attribute memory on a memory card for it's contents to be read like a filesystem. That being said, I know that MemoryCardExplorer by Elan digital systems will do just what needs to be done that Free Card Services does. But.....that software is close to $300 US!!!!! I think with some research you could find at least a cheaper or free XP card services alternative that will "blind-write" binary data to a memory (SRAM) card.