mputodsp check error?

  • lugnaen
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2008
      I have bought an MS2000 on craigslist. I bought it knowing it wasn't working. The guy I
      bought it from said it doesn't make sound but it sends midi ect.

      I have opened it up and followed some instruction on this site to unseat and reconnect all the
      wires. Still no luck. There was an eprom mentioned, where is this located? Most of the chips
      look like they are soldered in.

      It looks like it is fried, but I figured I would ask here anyway.
    • VIVID
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2008
        You have to back up and say to what degree its "not working"....if you
        are looking at a fully lit machine that sends MIDI, then your problem
        could be nothing beyond the last output stage.

        If this is so, is it transmitting the full range of MIDI, not just the
        keyboard, but do the knobs send CC messages? If you don't have a
        computer or software set up to tell you this, never mind...

        Having owned 2, I can say they seem pretty tough, so don't give up too
        easily. If its the final stage, check the volume pot, weak component, it
        would be really funny if the only problem was the volume was stuck as "off".

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2008
          No, I'm sure the thing is on. :D

          Might an OS update knock it back to it's senses? How do I know what OS this unit is
          running?

          Anyone have a mainboard they want to sell me for cheap? Hey I had to ask! :D

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 4, 2008
            HMMM...OK look, I don't even own one anymore, so I can't remember which
            of the two (or more) user's groups on yahoo has the best info, but:

            1. Search for the other group on Yahoo, one of them has all the files,
            versions of OS, manual and advice you will ever need to deal with this.
            God forbid you might actually have to read the manual. After you reset
            the thing, and all the menus appear to work, then make sure you are
            actually tracking your keyboard for your MIDI input channel and that
            your output stage is turned on and up.

            IF it is running ANY OS at all, it is probably OK and your problem is
            minor. Like I said, if it is an old blue one, the volume pot tends to go
            out, you can check for signal at its input stage.....just replace the
            potentiometer. Other than that they tend to be bulletproof.

            lugnaen wrote:
            > No, I'm sure the thing is on. :D
            >
            > Might an OS update knock it back to it's senses? How do I know what OS this unit is
            > running?
            >
            > Anyone have a mainboard they want to sell me for cheap? Hey I had to ask! :D
            >
            > --- In Korg-Club@yahoogroups.com, VIVID <vividx@...> wrote:
            >
            >> You have to back up and say to what degree its "not working"....if you
            >> are looking at a fully lit machine that sends MIDI, then your problem
            >> could be nothing beyond the last output stage.
            >>
            >> If this is so, is it transmitting the full range of MIDI, not just the
            >> keyboard, but do the knobs send CC messages? If you don't have a
            >> computer or software set up to tell you this, never mind...
            >>
            >> Having owned 2, I can say they seem pretty tough, so don't give up too
            >> easily. If its the final stage, check the volume pot, weak component, it
            >> would be really funny if the only problem was the volume was stuck as "off".
            >>
            >> lugnaen wrote:
            >>
            >>> I have bought an MS2000 on craigslist. I bought it knowing it wasn't working. The guy

            >>> bought it from said it doesn't make sound but it sends midi ect.
            >>>
            >>> I have opened it up and followed some instruction on this site to unseat and reconnect
            >>>
            > all the
            >
            >>> wires. Still no luck. There was an eprom mentioned, where is this located? Most of the
            >>>
            > chips
            >
            >>> look like they are soldered in.
            >>>
            >>> It looks like it is fried, but I figured I would ask here anyway.

          • LARRY HAWKE
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 4, 2008
              If it's been out of commission for a while, there might be corrosion built up in the pot. Radio Shack used to sell little cans of aerosol contact/pot cleaner that you could carefully spray inside the control (after removing the knob). But, that's usually a "fix" if you have a noisy or intermittent pot.
              You could also try connecting another keyboard to the MIDI in jack, and see if you can get anything happening that way.

              To: Korg-Club@yahoogroups.com
              From: vividx@...
              Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 10:41:48 -0600
              Subject: Re: [Korg] mputodsp check error?