File - ms2000faqsv2.html

  • Korg-Club@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2005
      MC505 FAQs

      Korg MS-2000 FAQ v.1.0

      Table of Contents:

      The answers to the questions:

      1. General MS-2000 Questions
        1. What is the MS-2000?

          The MS2000 is a 4-voice instrument with a 16-step sequencer, arpeggiator, and 16-band vocoder. It can play up to two timbres simultaneously, either split or layered. It stores 128 programs in eight banks of 16 sounds each. All the memory locations are user-programmable, so you can replace all the factory programs with your own original programs.The MS2000 includes a 44-note keyboard, whereas the MS2000R is 4U rack-mount; both feature a distinctive metallic aqua-blue front panel. For this review, I spent a month with the MS2000R. With the exception of a keyboard, the two units are virtually identical. The only other significant difference is a Keyboard button on the MS2000R, which lets you play the row of 16 Select keys as if they were a keyboard with fixed Velocity.A primary idea behind the MS2000 is a modernization of three classic analog devices rolled into one. It�s touted as the reincarnation of the MS-20, Korg�s diminutive analog synth introduced in 1978, combined with the Korg VC-10 vocoder and SQ10 analog sequencer. These three items are still in demand among the retro-techno crowd, and Korg hopes to capture part of that market with the new offering. Unlike many instruments marketed for dance music production, the MS2000 is a well-rounded, versatile virtual analog synth for almost any electronic musician.From emusicians excellent review at http://www.emusician.com/archive/0008/0008ms2000.html

          Back to top
        2. Can the MS-2000 sample?

          No.

          Back to top
        3. Is the MS-2000 expandable?

          No.

          Back to top
        4. Where can I hear some samples of the MS-2000 at work?

          If you want to hear a lot of MS-2000 music right now, head to the Korg mp3 site page at mp3.com
          Back to top

        5. What are the major differences between the JX305, and the MS-2000?

          The 305 has a built in keyboard, more waveforms (mostly GM type sounds), and is about half the price of the MS-2000. However, the 305 only has 2 outputs compared to the MS-2000's 6, and it doesn't have the mixer section, D-Beam, or Megamix functions of the MS-2000. It is primarily geared towards studio use, while the MS-2000 is geared more towards live performances. That doesn't mean that the 305 couldn't be used live, and the MS-2000 in the studio however.

          Back to top
        6. How many simultaneous MIDI channels can the MS2000 respond to?

          The MS2000 can receive on two MIDI channels simultaneously.

          When you

          call up a patch, it may consist of two discrete "timbres" -

          that's

          what the timbre select button does :)

          Each timbre can be set to receive on a separate MIDI

          channel, as long

          as the patch is one of the "DUAL" or "SPLIT" variety.

          .

          Back to top
      2. Using Your MS-2000
        1. Where is the I Feel Love sequence?

          I found out that in the Auto Disco patch

          the MS2000 programmers put the exact mod sequence of "I FEEL LOVE" by

          Donna S. Although you do have to tweak the sounds to get the

          right synth and drum tones, the I Feel Love sequence is still there. And I dont mean it sort of sounds like I Feel Love , it IS I feel love, almost to the point where If I used it in a song Georgio Moroder would surely file suit for copyright infringement.

          .

          Back to top
        2. How do I play more than one patch at a time?

          If you want to play more than one patch follow this

          procedure (both patches

          must be single mode):-

          using the manual for the relevant instructions

          1)LCD edit mode change a single patch to a dual one(page 01A)

          2)use copy timbre to get the second patch you want on to the

          other

          timbre(page 46 of manual , under heading "page 26 utility"

          section c)

          3)LCD edit page 3B , set the midi channel for each timbre

          (i.e. channel 2

          for timbre 1, channel 3 for timbre 2(channel 1 is for

          global))

          4)record the part you want on each timbre on its respective

          midi channel

          .

          Back to top
        3. How do I dump and save patches into Cakewalk?

          To Save Patches in CW:

          All you do is select the <start dump on your machine> option

          and make sure your Korg is in closed MIDI i/o loop. Select the patch you want to send from the Korg & press global page [03F] and press OK/ 1PROG:OK / OK. The numbers will fly into your PC and then save the bank. Simple as that.

          To Dump from CW:

          Load the sysex file into CW [as a bank] then press the RED

          ARROW ICON which'll send the banks one by one. If you have multiple MIDI ports, make sure that the correct port is chosen. MIDI channel is not important for sysex. All MIDI filters on the Korg must be set to ENA & you should have the Memory Protect set to OFF; global page [02A]. CW *.Ins files do not contain sysex implementation. They are stored

          in a file called drm.ini which you can edit in a simple text

          editor. However, I don't have the sysex code so I haven't edi... yet. If you open up drm.ini on your PC - then you should be able to hash together a code string for the Korg; this is how I came up with a string in one of my previous posts. I can't be arsed as it really DOES NOT SAVE YOU ANY TIME having the PC automatically do three button presses for

          you. Considering (I bet) it'll take anyone at least an hour

          to come with the code & that's a fair few button presses :)

          .

          Back to top

        4. How do I make drum sequences on the MS-2000?

          How do you make drum sequences on the MS2k? First: you have to construct a split program with a snare & kick timbres [for example] assigned to either the high or low half of the keyboard.

          Using the mod sequencer as, er... a 16 step sequencer; assign SEQ1 to Pitch and away you go.

          Knobs turned to a 'Low pitch' triggeres the the kick drum (ie: for a 4/4 beat, turn the 1,5,9,13 mod seq knobs counterclockwise... for a break beat turn knobs 1 & 11 c/clockwise... for gabba, turn all of them counterclockwise... ).

          Medium-high pitch is the snare drum [close to C3] and if you're clever with the KBD TRACKing, you might be able to squeeze out some hihats up top[C5+].

          Remember:

          (a) you need to do a mod sequencer for both timbres (this allow a layering of beats. (b) SPLIT program (c) MOd SEQ1 = pitch

          Hope this helps more than hinders, note that you can also treat the MS2k as a bi-timbral drum module from an external sequencer if you assign two different MIDI channels to each timbre (I think this answers another question though?!].

          Back to top
        5. I've downloaded Dumpster, but now I'm stumped! How do I use it to save and load patches into my MS-2000?

          To use Dumpster:

          (1) Unzip & Install
          (2) Goto the MIDI options and choose / select your computers' MIDI
          interface MPU-401 or whatever... no need to select which channel.
          Receive from the PC; load the sound *.syx file into Dumpster and prepare
          the MS2k by doing the following;
          (4a) select a sound you don't like on
          the Korg &
          (4b) press SEND on Dumpster. Simple as that. No need to
          [write] the new sound into the Korg as its' done auto.
          (5) To send us your patches so that we can have a good laugh (you said
          it first :P) Hit RECEIVE on Dumpster then
          (6) goto [global] page [3F
          MIDI] and hit OK on the MS2k. Then choose whether or not to send a
          single program OR dump the entire contents of your Korg into the PC.
          Single is better.
          (7) Save your standard *.syx file (sysex) and post it
          to the e-groups files.

          Back to top

      3. Operating System (OS)
        1. How do I find out what OS version my MS-2000 is at?

          By pressing "ModSeq on/off" + "5" while
          switching the ms2k on.

          Back to top
        2. What are some of the other diagnostic key codes on the MS-2000?

          "MS + 1" gives al self-diagnostic ( DSP
          ram check + midi loopback check, etc. )
          2 - gives a audio in test (dunno
          how it works.)
          3 - gave a keyboard test
          4 - gave a button and a led test
          5 - just gives the os version 6-16 - nothing
          .

          Back to top
      4. Recording Sequences
        1. Help!!! I can't figure out the Mod Sequencer on the MS-2000!! What do I need to know??

          The mod seq is not really a sequencer in the traditional sense - but it can be used in that way with a bit of fiddling around. Before we start -note that you should have a midi clock signal (INT or AUTO or EXT+source) & set the tempo. You can use the mod sequencer irrespective of tempo but it usually makes sense to link it.

          If you take the sequencer in it's simplist form; you simply select mod seq [on] and then hit [record]. Hold down a note and then turn any knob on the front panel. Simple. Every time you play a note on the keyboard the sequence you recorded on the mod seq plays back. You can do this with up to three front panel knobs & hours of amusment follows.
          Taking things in more depth; if you select the mod seq menu [edit page 18 (...I think)] you can decide at what resolution the sequencer lays at (1/48 up to 1/1) and a whole bunch of other settings can be altered (check the manual or just stare at the graphics on the right hand side of your keyboard). You will also find the Tempo Sync ON/OFF here that I mentioned earlier.

          One of the more musical options is to assign mod seq 1 to 'pitch', mod seq 2 to 'step duration', mod seq 3 to 'portamento time'. Voila: it's a 303 with flashing lights. With a bit of mucking about; you can write your own phrases which playback whenever you press a note. Pitches are in the +/- format which requires the thought... but hell this is all a
          game anyway :)

          Experiment from here. Lots of effects can be thought up if you
          experiment. Like trancey type slicer effects? Set one of the mod seq's to 'amp' and twist the knobs hard right/left to rapidly gate the sound.
          Cool.

          That's it... c'mon, I did all the writing; someone else can send in examples to the list [lazy buggers] :) We can even try & get a patch of the month contest going which would certainly pad out our files here...

          For MIDI setup (I use cakewalk) you need to assign three MIDI channels for the MS2k in order to get the most use out of it. Upper Timbre, Lower Timbre, Global Channel. As for the rest of Cubase... I don't know Global Page 03A assigns the overall MIDI chanel.

          You are able to assign specific MIDI channels from Edit Page 03B. Note that if you have a Split Program [Edit Page 01A]; then you can play the two timbres independently from their respective halves of the keyboard.
          You can still play independent timbres using a 'Dual' program if the MIDI channels are assigned as mentioned above.

          Note: The 'Timbre Select' switch (below the OSC1 section of he front panel) toggles the Edit03B menu from timbre 1 & 2.

          Back to top
      5. Working With Other Gear
        1. Is it possible to connect two or more MS-2000's together?

          Yes this is possible.

          Back to top
      6. Bugs / Troubleshooting
        1. Oy!! The filters don't sound like I thought they would! What is wrong??

          1. They are equipped with the auto gain adjusting algorithm that will automatically lower the overall signal level as the resonance is turned up with the self oscillation gets louder. This is to prevent distortion in the digital headroom to ensure the signal's best sound quality. (This is more desirable in the studio since it makes it easier to deal with the level. In live performance, some people intentionally care less.)

          This is different from most other filters on other synths, like, say, Roland's synth's filters. They tend not to have this auto gain thing.
          When you turn the resonance up (with a lot of cut off), the level will only get louder and louder and distorts their headrooms. Well, some people love this kind of distortion. If you do miss it, you can always turn on the MS2k's distortion to get results that ensure the best sound quality out of the headroom. (By the way, Nord Modular's filter has an option to turn on and off auto gain algorithm. Neato.)

          That aside, I always feel it's funny somehow. Like Dan pointed out that the level goes softer when you turned the resonance up, I wonder why Korg didn't make this auto gain trigger only when there is a lot of LP cut off going on (which is mostly when the digital distortion can occur.) The auto gain level seems to linearly vary to the resonance alone.

          2. Korg's DSP LP filter's cutoff range is very linear. To my ears, the algorithm seems to only say, "Cut off from x Hz!" without taking other parameters into consideration. Say, if the LP cutoff range is 20Hz-20kHz, when you turn the cut off knob to zero, you will hear nothing at all. That's not a bad thing. Just how the filter was designed. Again, most other synths are not like that. Some LP filters doesn't even go down to cut off all the audible signals. True that it's less flexible, but some people certainly like that better.

          So IMO I think the fact that the Korg's DSP LP filters seem to be linear in operational (as opposed to sonic) personality just ticks off some people who are more familiar to common (if neutrally and naturally flawed) filter designs. The Korg LP filters sure can sound fat, but you may have to break your habit and expectation first and try to get used to this new filter character so that you can get exactly the sounds you
          want.
          Back to top

        2. I'm having some problems using Dumpster and the MS-2000! What are some things to watch out for??

          You want the filters set to ENA (which might sound arse-about-face;
          Enabled means that the signal can get though and Disabled means that the
          signal cannot?!).

          > on either machine and the Ms2k is definitely still getting midi in, >
          checked that with my es-1 earlier > today. > -Jacean Mikhael -=Another
          Forgotten Machine=-

          If the transfer is underway - the screen on the MS2k will flash
          [receiving] very briefly. Have you actually highlighted the MIDI
          interface in the MIDI Options in Dumpster? (apologies if this is a daft
          question)

          Sysex 'single program' files should be 297kb (I noticed that a few of
          yours are 341kb - you weren't sending the Global Parameters by any
          chance?)

          I dunno - PC are a mystery to me most of the time. It sounds like your
          setup is OK; why not? You could try re-installing Dumpster now that
          you've already got the VBRUN300.dll on your machine? Other than that I
          have no idea.
          Back to top

      MS-2000 FAQ written by the MS-2000 users.
      File maintained by sean808080 ( mailto:shh@...).  Hint: Don't email me with questions unless you want incorrect answers hehe.

      This file is a total rip of the Roland MC-505 FAQs file by rEalm with  HTML by John D. Hume.

      Last updated 10/15/00 .