Re: Skinny Puppy Sample CD

  • rob kukuchka
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2001
      --- In FriendsOfMS2000@y..., adrugagainstwar_2000@y... wrote:
      > Ok i got this set of sample cd's from time and space and one of
      > them is the skinny puppy sample cd. on the cd it says it is done
      > by the artist or something along those lines.....but it doesnt
      > sound like puppy at all (at least the samples on hand)......who
      > made this and why is it called skinny puppy????
      >

      > ar2
      you'd be amazed some of the sounds they used over the years. the
      samples probably were used in some weird fashion. one thing about Key
      was that he had lots of little things in the background that you
      barely noticed. besides i hate more sample cds, rather create my
      own.more fun, especially when you drag garbage in and bang on it to
      make weird sounds (scrap metal works *really* well).
      ~rob
    • adrugagainstwar_2000@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2001
        yea i do know that ... more fun to make own but have shity mike that
        would distort things i dont want distorted. anyways i think sample
        cd's are good cuz they may have things to inspire you or simply some
        great sounds you can use in a track.... need to hook tv up to some
        recording device :)

        thanks again and the sample cd was one for mixman.

        ar2
      • Patrick McAndrew
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2001
          > yea i do know that ... more fun to make own but have shity mike that
          > would distort things i dont want distorted. anyways i think sample
          > cd's are good cuz they may have things to inspire you or simply some
          > great sounds you can use in a track.... need to hook tv up to some
          > recording device :)

          I did this before: I went to a construction yard with a cassette tape
          recorder and a condenser mic, and overdrove the inputs on it, so it was all
          saturated and distroted... Then I just walked around and recorded all these
          dudes doing construction work.. :)

          It sounded completely alien when I got home, and after I did the noise
          reduction,I had about 5 minutes total of good industrial samples :)

          Pat
        • rob kukuchka
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2001
            > I did this before: I went to a construction yard with a cassette
            tape
            > recorder and a condenser mic, and overdrove the inputs on it,
            so it was all
            > saturated and distroted... Then I just walked around and
            recorded all these
            > dudes doing construction work.. :)
            >
            > It sounded completely alien when I got home, and after I did
            the noise
            > reduction,I had about 5 minutes total of good industrial
            samples :)

            > Pat
            newest trick my friends are doing, and as will i when i get more $
            is buy a minidisc recorder. it's like $200 and $25 for a 5 pack of
            MD. they make wonderfull sample gatherers. just buy a small
            condensor mike and you've got a portable noise recorder.
            ANYTHING can be turned into drum loops, pads, basses,
            whatever. totally expands the universe in terms of sonic
            possibilities. not just distorted sounds too. one trick is leave the
            minidisc out on a fall night. you get all the insect sounds,
            crickets, whatever. get a good 15-20 min recording, sift through it
            for the juiciest part. then add some DX effects on your comp or
            mess it up with a sampler. you can make the eeriest sounds.
            also you can use your MS2K to filter it and add even more
            weirdness (ring mod it with a triangle with pitch modulation from
            an LFO, all sorta weirdness). also if you ever want to do a show
            MD allows you to have a small DAT player with selectable set
            list.
            ~rob
            brap on
          • Scott Smith
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2001
              Here's another cool MD trick, good for hours of fun:

              Go out and record a bunch of people talking. I prefer to interview the local
              homeless and Street people for extra colorful dialect.

              Sit down and add as many "track markers" as you can fit on the disc.

              Play back w/ random play mode.