Re: Hello? Dr. Watson?

  • oj@charlesmanson.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 9, 2000
      Wow! you are the first person on this board David. Nice to meet you .
      My name is Mike Dunn it's really not oj. That is just a stupid email
      I've had for years. Anyways, I saw that Ms2000.com site and was
      really disappointed to see some Mississippi Magnolia crap. 47 banks
      of patches & a patch editor ....lol.

      Here is the ironic thing ..... I dont even own a MS2000!Well not yet
      at least. I placed my order on Monday with Musicians Enemy and they
      sent it out yesterday. I ordered the keyboard version. I have never
      even heard it yet. I bought it strictly from the reviews but mainly
      because it has wooden end cheeks. I figured if any synth has wooden
      end cheeks in the year 2000 it is bound to be good. Can you tell me
      David if it is cheap wood like veneer on a Juno 6 or a nice oak-type.
      It looked pretty thin (the end-cheeks) to me from the pics. What
      about the build
      quality. Somebody on the sonicstate reviews said that he was worried
      about the build construction and that it seemed cheap. Do you get
      that impression?

      I just cant wait to get mine though. That mod sequencer looks very
      very nice. I hope I dont see it for like $349 next month like an FS1r
      after I just paid 949 for it.

      Anyways, I have never started a mailing list before. So far it says
      there are 3 members . That's you ,me and somebody else. Maybe that
      somebody else can contribute 47 banks of patches!:)

      --- In FriendsOfMS2000@egroups.com, David Waldman <dwaldman61@h...>
      wrote:
      > It's great to pop the cherry so to speak of the MS2000 eGroup. I
      must
      > now smoke a tiparillo. A question to the moderator! Is this the
      site
      > referred to on the SonicState Korg page? The URL listed there was
      > www.ms2000.com, which is the website to Mississippi State
      University's

    • dwaldman61@home.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 9, 2000
        --- In FriendsOfMS2000@egroups.com, oj@c... wrote:
        > Wow! you are the first person on this board David. Nice to meet you
        .
        > My name is Mike Dunn

        Hi, Mike

        > it's really not oj. That is just a stupid email I've had for years.

        That's good, then you're off the hook legal-wise

        > Anyways, I saw that Ms2000.com site and was really disappointed to
        > see some Mississippi Magnolia crap. 47 banks of patches & a patch
        > editor ....lol.

        I emailed Nick at Sonic State to complain about this obvious
        practical
        joke.

        > Here is the ironic thing ..... I dont even own a MS2000!Well not
        yet
        > at least. I placed my order on Monday with Musicians Enemy and they
        > sent it out yesterday. I ordered the keyboard version. I have never
        > even heard it yet. I bought it strictly from the reviews

        Smart move. You are going to JISM on the spot when you power it up.

        > but mainly because it has wooden end cheeks. I figured if any synth
        > has wooden end cheeks in the year 2000 it is bound to be good. Can
        > you tell me David if it is cheap wood like veneer on a Juno 6 or a
        > nice oak-type. It looked pretty thin (the end-cheeks) to me from
        > the pics.

        The wood is pretty thin, but sturdy and very attractive. There are
        three screws on each side, safely sunk in as not to stick out. The
        guys at Access went overboard with the Virus kb, whose wood is jolly
        thick and *curved.*

        > What about the build quality. Somebody on the sonicstate reviews
        > said that he was worried about the build construction and that it
        > seemed cheap. Do you get that impression?

        Korg had to cut expenses to get the price point where it is (mine was
        $795). Build quality was a worry for me in the beginning, but I
        found
        out that it's just unwise to place it underneath a Memorymoog. The
        metallic teal sheet metal (although absolutely stunning) is not heavy
        gauge, so don't sit on it. Other than that, don't worry. There are
        concerns of one kind or another with EVERY synth ever made.

        > I just cant wait to get mine though. That mod sequencer looks very
        > very nice. I hope I dont see it for like $349 next month like an
        FS1r
        > after I just paid 949 for it.

        You won't. Do you mean to say you paid $949 for the FS1r? How much
        did you pay for the MS?

        > Anyways, I have never started a mailing list before. So far it
        says
        > there are 3 members . That's you ,me and somebody else. Maybe that
        > somebody else can contribute 47 banks of patches!:)

        I could easily come up with them myself, but it's not nice to taunt
        nonetheless. In any case, you are in for a genuine JISM fest any day
        now. Just go ahead and take yer britches off when the UPS guy
        arrives.
        I did, and my case comes up for trial next Tuesday (humor....aaaar).

        Dave
      • David Waldman

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 9, 2000
            David ~

            Well that is good to know the MS2000 isnt that cheap. I bought a
            Fizmo and that thing is really hollow feeling. You touch the bottom
            and it feels paper thin. Another one of those discontinued and
            dicounted synths, but I do enjoy it. Not as much as I bet you like
            your MMoog *drool* or Virus Kb *mo drool*.

            I paid $349 for the Fs1r when it was on clearance and I paid $949 for
            the Ms2000. Where in the world did you find yours for $795??? That is
            an excellent price. I think I got jipped now.

            I dont know how we would transmit patches for the MS2000 since there
            is no editor. I guess we could use a generic sysex lib but I have
            never used one before and really dont know how that works out. Maybe
            you do David?

            By the way ,my UPS guy is never at the door long enough for me to
            take my britches off. He just throws the boxes on the steps , rings
            the bell and speeds off. According to the Customer Noservice at
            MFriend I should get the MS2000 on Monday. 4 days and counting....

            Mike

            I pad

          • dwaldman61@home.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 9, 2000
              Mike:

              I don't own either a Memorymoog or a Virus; those were merely for
              illustration. My other synths are: (Korgs) Triton Pro & DS-8, Yamaha
              DX11, Nord Micro Modular, Roland JP-8000, Casio SK-1.

              I bought mine from Washington Music Center 301-946-8808. They're up to
              $825-850 now.

              I have Sound Diver, and I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have specific
              support for the MS2000 yet, so I don't know how we would swap patches.
              I leave this open to the other members of this rarified & superior
              synth eGroup...heh?

              > According to the Customer Noservice at
              > MFriend I should get the MS2000 on Monday. 4 days and counting....

              It's gonna be a LOOONG weekend!

              Dave

              P.S. Did I mention the JISMation you'll be encountering?
            • oj@charlesmanson.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 9, 2000
                Dave ,

                > I don't own either a Memorymoog or a Virus; those were merely for
                > illustration. My other synths are: (Korgs) Triton Pro & DS-8,
                Yamaha
                > DX11, Nord Micro Modular, Roland JP-8000, Casio SK-1.

                Not a bad collection you got there. The Casio Sk-1 was the first
                keyboard I ever got . I remember using it for prank phone calls and
                tripping people out. I think I still have a few on cassette.

                > I bought mine from Washington Music Center 301-946-8808. They're
                up to
                > $825-850 now.

                That's it, I'm calling them tommorrow. Thanks for the info Dave.

                >I don't know how we would swap patches.
                > I leave this open to the other members of this rarified & superior
                > synth eGroup...heh?

                Yes all 3 of them .....lol

                > It's gonna be a LOOONG weekend!
                >
                > Dave
                >
                > P.S. Did I mention the JISMation you'll be encountering?

                This better be good! The last JISMating seesion was a year ago with
                the An1x : )

                Mike