Lieberman for VP

  • Richardson, Sam
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2000
      Strictly regarding politics and policies, as a conservative, I would rather
      see Lieberman at the top of the ticket. I would vote for him over Bush.
      However, it's the top of the ticket that ultimately matters. And from this
      perspective, there are a lot of inconsistencies between Gore and Lieberman,
      which leads me to ask which principles the Senator from CT would be willing
      to give up if push comes to shove. For this reason (and others), I am
      genuinely concerned that the faith issue will get the blame if
      Gore/Lieberman loose, and Sen. Lieberman, as a man of character and
      integrity, will receive very little credit if they win.

      That's my $.02

      Sam Richardson

      From: esb1@...

      Message: 1
      Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 21:22:46 -0700
      From: esb1@...
      Subject: Lieberman for VP... Good for the Jews? Let's discuss...

      Today's announcement of that Joe Lieberman will be Al Gore's runningmate
      may come as a bigger shock to Jews than the rest of the nation. In the
      last 15 years or so, it has been clear that the Jewish community is not
      monolitic politically , socially and religiously. Yet know we are faced
      with some hard decisions as a community. Where are we...let's talk, let's
      discuss. As our Bubbie and Zeydes used to ask, is this good for the Jews.
      As American and Jews, we need to ask is this good for America and our
      community. I suspect there will be an interesting discussion amongst
      ourselves...

      Ed Beck

      Lieberman
      will be Gore's
      running mate

      Announcement expected
      Tuesday in Nashville

      MSNBC STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS

      NASHVILLE, Tenn., Aug. 7 - Despite rumblings that it could be a
      political risk, Democratic presidential hopeful Al Gore will choose Sen.
      Joseph Lieberman as his running mate, sources have told NBC News.
      Lieberman would be the first Jew in American history selected as a major
      vice presidential candidate.

      Describes Lieberman as a "positive" choice for Gore
      Notes Lieberman is respected by Republicans -- but "big unknown" is
      whether many Americans harbor anti-Semitic feelings
      GORE HAS planned an official announcement on Tuesday in
      Nashville, a week before the Democratic National Convention opens in Los
      Angeles to nominate him and his running mate to face Republicans George
      W. Bush and Dick Cheney in the fall.
      Gore is expected to telephone the 58-year-old Lieberman on Monday
      to inform him of the decision and to invite him to Nashville for the
      formal announcement.
      Gore is said to have made his decision after discussions late
      Sunday and early Monday with top advisers, including former Secretary of
      State Warren Christopher, who headed up his search process, his
      brother-in-law Frank Hunger, his wife, Tipper, and campaign chairman Bill
      Daley.
      A Democratic official involved in the process told NBC News'
      Andrea Mitchell that Gore felt comfortable with Lieberman, with whom he
      worked in the Democratic Leadership Council, an organization of centrist
      Democrats.

      DISTINCTIVE CHOICE
      The choice is a stunning one to many political insiders, including
      some Democrats, who had wondered whether Lieberman's strong religious
      views as an orthodox Jew could be a liability.
      Connecticut Sen. Joseph Lieberman
      But Daley dismissed such concerns, telling NBC News that
      Lieberman would be "highly capable."
      And Sen. John Breaux, D-La.,told NBC's "Today" show he was
      delighted by Gore's choice of Lieberman, describing him as a "rock-solid
      official" who can attract independent and moderate Republican votes with
      his moral and family values. "He's the total package," Breaux said.
      Breaux added that Lieberman's political courage to criticize
      President Bill Clinton's personal misbehavior can only help the Gore
      campaign.
      A Democratic centrist, Lieberman would amplify Gore support of
      fiscal discipline and middle-class tax cuts, the sources said. The choice
      also gives Gore a chance to reverse claims that he is a practicioner of
      old-guard politics - as he could contrast his selection to Bush's pick of
      former defense secretary Cheney.

      Moreover, Lieberman's harsh criticism of Clinton's conduct during the
      impeachment controversy gives Gore an opportunity to rebuff criticism
      that a Gore administration would be simply an extension of the Clinton
      administration.
      Ironically, Lieberman's political roots are with Bill Clinton:
      They both worked for Joe Duffy's Senate race in 1970 in Connecticut when
      Clinton was still in law school.
      The bold choice also gives Gore the opportunity to build buzz
      around his campaign in the week leading up to the Democratic convention,
      which begins Aug. 14. Gore's campaign had been in a low-key mode during
      the weeks leading up to last week's Republican convention.

      One source told The Associated Press the choice will help make
      the ticket more appealing to independents and swing voters who favor
      Clinton's policies but were turned off by his personal conduct.
      At least one Republican had nothing but praise for Lieberman.
      "I think he's a very, very good man, a disinguished public
      servant," New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani told NBC's "Today" show. "I
      think he's an excellent choice."
      Lieberman, the junior U.S. senator from Connecticut, beats out
      three other leading prospects, all senators: Evan Bayh, 44, of Indiana,
      John Edwards, 47, of North Carolina and John Kerry, 56, of Massachusetts.
      Kerry and Edwards had been considered by most Gore advisers to be the
      most likely choices.
      Two others on Gore's short list, House Democratic Leader Richard
      Gephardt, 59, and New Hampshire Gov. Jeanne Shaheen, 53, had said they
      didn't want the job.

      STRONG SUPPORT AT HOME
      Lieberman was first sent to the Senate by Connecticut voters in
      1988 and was re-elected in a landslide in 1994, taking some 67 percent of
      the vote in a year when many Democrats fell prey to a strong GOP push for
      Congressional turnover. Lieberman enjoys popular support in his home
      state and throughout the Democratic party, though he has occasionally
      been criticized for his overtly political crusades.
      In the Senate, he is the ranking Democrat on the governmental
      affairs committee, which handles everything from federal budget
      considerations to handling oversight of the independent counsel process.
      In the shadow of the Clinton impeachment trial, Lieberman co-sponsored a
      1999 bill to overhaul the independent counsel act.
      Prior to serving as a senator, he was Connecticut's attorney
      general for six years and served as a state legislator before that. He
      has also authored five non-fiction books.

      NBC News Correspondent Andrea Mitchell, NBC News Correspondent
      Claire Shipman, MSNBC.com's Jon Bonne and The Associated Press and
      Reuters contributed to this report.

      Dr. Edward S. Beck, Director, Susquehanna Institute
      2405 Linglestown Road, Harrisburg PA 17110
      717-545.5500/717.545.5858(fax) [mailto:esb1@...]
      Please visit our newly revamped website at
      http://www.susquehanna-institute.com and let us know what you think.