new and not in love with garter

  • julietssk
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 8, 2006
      Hi! thanks so much for all the great tips....I'm almost blind having
      just read half of the over 1000 posts. many questions have been
      answered and many have been formed, but i will just ask one. I don't
      love garter stitch. I am reconciled to using it at the bottom of the
      body and sleeves, but is there any reason not to use all stockinette
      for the rest (up around the shoulders and neck)? has anyone tried
      this? thanks for your thoughts!

      Juliet
    • karen v
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 8, 2006
        i don't know for sure. thickness & striping might or
        might not be issues. why not ask hamilton yourself?
        you can email her:
        http://www.hamiltondesign.biz/mozilla.html
        btw, what yarn/ color are you working with? i just
        finished knitting mine in kureyon & must stitch it
        together.

        good luck & happy knitting,
        karen

      • jhkw12@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 9, 2006
          thanks Karen, i just might try writing to her if don't get any definitive advice here.  i'm using SG 84 and i'm having a really hard time not casting on (and casting xmas knitting into the wind - i have 2 pairs of felted clogs then i'm good to go).  which kuryon did you use?  i was quite tempted by 95.

          Juliet
        • qiuser
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 10, 2006
            --- In Klaralund@yahoogroups.com, "julietssk" <jhkw12@...> wrote:

            > Hi! thanks so much for all the great tips....I'm almost blind having
            > just read half of the over 1000 posts. many questions have been
            > answered and many have been formed, but i will just ask one. I don't
            > love garter stitch. I am reconciled to using it at the bottom of the
            > body and sleeves, but is there any reason not to use all stockinette
            > for the rest (up around the shoulders and neck)? has anyone tried
            > this? thanks for your thoughts!

            I think you could skip the garter bands, maybe just use a single row
            to finish off the top of the sleeves.

            sue
          • Jennifer
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 12, 2006

              I haven’t knit my Klaralund yet (SG in a mix of grays and purple) so take what I’m going to say with that in mind.  I would suggest the opposite- you can skip the garter at the bottom of the sweater and sleeves but not at the top.  The bottom garter areas are just to keep it from rolling like st st would normally do, so you can either do a ribbing (adjusting for needle size so you don’t have it pull in- unless you want it to) or an extra inch or two of st st and let it curl naturally (you want to knit the extra length so when it curls up it won’t be too short).  However…from the finished designs I’ve seen online, this is my opinion about the garter at the top: it is necessary to keep the shoulders/sweater in place.  I think that if you were to knit the shoulders/top of the sleeves in st st alone, even with a garter band at the very edge to finish it off, it would stretch and sag down, possibly being too revealing, possibly making the sweater very uncomfortable or unsightly to wear.

              Again, I haven’t knit mine yet so feel free to completely ignore this.  J

              Jennifer.

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 12, 2006
                --- In Klaralund@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer" <reachjennifer@...> wrote:

                > I haven't knit my Klaralund yet (SG in a mix of grays and purple) so
                take
                > what I'm going to say with that in mind. I would suggest the
                opposite- you
                > can skip the garter at the bottom of the sweater and sleeves but not
                at the
                > top. The bottom garter areas are just to keep it from rolling like
                st st
                > would normally do, so you can either do a ribbing (adjusting for
                needle size
                > so you don't have it pull in- unless you want it to) or an extra
                inch or two
                > of st st and let it curl naturally (you want to knit the extra length so
                > when it curls up it won't be too short). However.from the finished
                designs
                > I've seen online, this is my opinion about the garter at the top: it is
                > necessary to keep the shoulders/sweater in place. I think that if
                you were
                > to knit the shoulders/top of the sleeves in st st alone, even with a
                garter
                > band at the very edge to finish it off, it would stretch and sag down,
                > possibly being too revealing, possibly making the sweater very
                uncomfortable
                > or unsightly to wear.
                >
                > Again, I haven't knit mine yet so feel free to completely ignore
                this. :-)

                I think most people have adjusted the seam up the back of the sleeve
                to control the neckline. Some have even seamed up the front an inch or
                two. But your thought is worth taking into consideration.

                sue