Kiwanis Family Updates

  • Midge Lubot
    Message 1 of 288 , Nov 3, 2011

      NEW ENGLAND DISTRICT
      KIWANIS FAMILY UPDATES
      MIDGE K. LUBOT
      NOVEMBER 4, 2011

      Please send all announcements to <events@...> by Thursday. All new announcements will be shown in blue each week, the announcements in green are for the District or Int’l. Events, the announcements in orange are for the Key Club, turquoise is for Circle K, purple is for the Builders Club, pink for the K-Kids and the announcements in maroon are for the Aktion Clubs.

      PLEASE SEND YOUR ANNOUNCEMENTS TO

      Thank you!!

      §§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

      Hello New England and Bermuda,

      Fall is in the air...you can just feel the temperatures getting cooler and the leaves are turning colors. It is the perfect time to be thinking about the beginning of the next administrative year in our Kiwanis Clubs. We have just what you need to assure that you have the best year possible. The agenda for the Fall Trainer is now available!

      We have an exciting Fall Trainer planned for our members. As we have shared with you, the deadline for reserving rooms at the Radisson is October 1. Please do this as quickly as possible to assure you have a room for this event. Remember to mention that you are with the New England Kiwanis group. It is always better to reserve a room if you think you will want to attend rather than to try after the deadline. With so many events happening in this area during the weekend, it may be impossible to get a room after the October 1ST deadline.

      Registration is available online. Please don't wait until the last minute as we want to plan for your arrival. We know you are going to learn so much and get to meet with other Kiwanis members to share ideas and learn how to become more effective leaders.

      Notice we have special pricing for children as they are always welcome to join us. Key Club and Circle K members will be available for babysitting so you can relax and participate in all the workshops and events.

      Join us for a great weekend. You will be so glad that you did.  We look forward to seeing you again or if you are a first timer, welcome.

      Vesta Browne
      Governor 2011-2012

      §§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

      The Kiwanis Pediatric Trauma Institute (KPTI) has informed everyone that the easiest way to access their website is to use <www.KPTI.org>.  If you are planning Young Children Priority One projects, take advantage of the materials that are available for these YCPO projects on their website.

      §§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

      Announcing the 11th Annual OSSU Turkey Challenge!

      Hyde Park resident Chris Potter started “Chris’ Challenge” ten years ago. His idea was to energize all of us to donate frozen turkeys to area food shelves. He was supported by several area businesses and Radio Station WLVB in Morrisville.

      Unfortunately, Chris died of cancer seven years ago but his Challenge to all of us continues in his memory. As a result of this effort, food shelves in Woodbury, Hardwick, Johnson and Morrisville distribute the donated turkeys to needy families through out the Thanksgiving Season. The first year of the Challenge, 250 turkeys were collected. Last year, we collected 900 turkeys!

      Again this year, OSSU will be working with the Hardwick Area KiwanisClub & Hazen Union Key Club in a combined regional effort. Last year we were able to furnish turkeys to the area food shelves for both Thanksgiving and Christmas Holidays.

      Let’s see if we can keep this wonderful tradition going.

      If you would be willing to donate one or more turkeys, please contact Connie at the OSSU office or email Connie Bellavance at <cbellavance@...> to add your name to the list. This year you can donate money instead of turkeys. We will forward our donations to the Kiwanis Club for buying the turkeys. $10.00 buys a 12-14 lb. turkey.  Halls will also accept checks or cash, but be sure to list your name or business if you want it announced on the radio!!

      We need your commitment as soon as possible!!
      THANK YOU!

      §§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

      NOVEMBER 4-5, 2011

      KAPERS @ 60, "YOU AIN"T SEEN NOTHING YET" is RESCHEDULED to Friday and Saturday, November 11th and 12th.  Yes it's still at 7:30, and Yes it's still at Maloney H.S, and yes, you really haven't seen nothing yet, but you will!

      Due to the power outages in the City of Meriden and the Meriden Public Schools being closed all week, the Meriden Kiwanis Club has had to postpone the Meriden Kiwanis Kapers from Friday and Saturday, November 4th and 5th until Friday, November 11th and Saturday, November 12th. The Kapers will still start at 7:30 p.m. at Maloney High

      NOVEMBER 6, 2011

      The Kiwanis Club of Sheffield is sponsoring a Harvest Brunch from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm at the American Legion Hall on North Main Street/Route 7 in Sheffield. This brunch is to benefit the Warm-The-Children campaign. This campaign raises money to buy new warm winter clothing for children who might not have any warm clothing. The Kiwanis Club, with member Rene Woods as Chair of the committee held their first Brunch in 2010 and raised money to buy new furniture for the Sheffield Senior Center. Tickets are $10 for adults, children 4-12 $5 and children under 4 are free. A hearty buffet of brunch items awaits you. Contact todd116@... for more information.

      NOVEMBER 11, 2011

      KIWANIS
      CHARITY COMEDY NIGHT
      Friday, November 11TH
      HELD AT THE SANFORD ELKS LODGE
       The 7th Annual Kiwanis Charity Comedy Night
      Silent Auction, 50/50, Raffles and more!
      We will be unable to accept credit cards.
      Three Great Comedians, Headlining
      JIM COLLITON
      Along With
      TWO OF BOSTON’S BRIGHTEST AND BEST
      COMEDIANS IN THE BUSINESS!

      Sanford Elks Lodge
      Doors Open at 7:00 PM
      Tickets are $20 and are available at:
      Backstreet Grill, Sanford Institution for Savings,
      Kennebunk Savings Bank and Ocean Community Credit Union
      To RESERVE a table or F.M.I. contact David Parent at 207-432-3033 or <dparent@...>.
      100% of the proceeds go directly to charity.

      NOVEMBER 11-12, 2011

      KIWANIS CLUB of MERIDEN, CT PRESENTS: the Kiwanis KAPERS @ 60, " YOU AIN"T SEEN NOTHING YET!" At

      MALONEY  H.S., PARISI Auditorium At 7:30 P.M.  Friday, November 11th and Saturday, November12th. Help

      us celebrate our 60th year of KAPERS --- You will never attend a WEDDING like the wedding at our Chapel --

      remember -- "YOU AIN"T SEEN NOTHING YET!"  And you must see the seven “Nags, Hags, Old Bags,”

      whatever -- remember --”YOU AIN"T SEEN NOTHING YET!”     Please join us, TICKETS are $15 for adults and

      $5 for children under 12 years of age..If you like music, well maybe it might be considered music --

      come and laugh with us or at us, but please come!

      November 15, 2011

      The Kiwanis Club of Sheffield (MA) will finish their collection of shoebox gifts for Operation Christmas Child. Members have been packing shoebox-size boxes with gifts for underprivileged children throughout the world. The goal is for 100 shoe boxes to be sent to the Samaritans Purse organization in NC for distribution to the needy children. Please contact <todd116@...> for more information.

      NOVEMBER 18-20, 2011

      The District Fall Training Conference will be held in Plymouth, MA, from November 18-20TH. It will be held at the Radisson Hotel, 180 Water Street in Plymouth, MA.  Room rates are $89 per night.  Plymouth at this time of year is an active place. This particular weekend features America’s Hometown Thanksgiving Celebration <www.USAThanksgiving.com>, there will be a huge parade on Saturday, November 19TH and there will be exhibits and craft fairs also.  If you plan to attend, don’t wait to reserve your room. The most important thing to remember is that rooms will fill up really fast.  There is a 72-hour cancellation policy so there is the opportunity to get a room and cancel later if required.  Room reservations can be made with the hotel at 508-747-4900 Monday through Friday, only between 8 AM and 5 PM.

      NOVEMBER 25, 2011

      The Kiwanis Club of Berlin (NH) will again be a sponsor for the 20TH Annual Berlin Parade Of Lights being held on Friday, November 25th beginning at 7 PM. Berlin Kiwanis will also bring in Santa along with Mrs. Santa on their float. Come join the fun. For more information call 603-723-4490 or e-mail <pmberlin@...>.

      The Kiwanis Club of Dexter Sunrise (ME) is having a fruit sale. Yes, this time is real. Order forms are available from any club member starting this Friday. Prices are:
      ⅖ Bushel Oranges $20.00
      ⅖ Bushel Red Grapefruit $20.00
      ⅖ Bushel Mixed (Orange/Grapefruit) $20.00
      ⅘ Bushel Oranges $26.00
      ⅘ Bushel Grapefruit $26.00

      Orders will be taken thru November 25TH with delivery on or about December 11TH. Plenty of time for Christmas. Fresh fruit makes great gifts. Contact Gary Nelson at 207-343-1984 or any Dexter Sunrise Kiwanis member.

      The Marshfield Kiwanis Christmas Tree Lot opens at the Marshfield Fairgrounds, 140 Main Street, RT 3A, Marshfield, MA. If your club is in our District. Please drop by and buy a tree.For more information, please contact Jack Griffin <jgriffin@...>.

      NOVEMBER 26, 2011

      Kiwanis Club of Fairfield (CT)
      2011 Annual Poinsettia Sale
      Order Form

      The Kiwanis Club of Fairfield’s 2011 Annual Holiday Poinsettia sale helps fund our outreach to the greater Fairfield community and to Kiwanis International Projects.  Every fundraising dollar is returned to our community.  Last year the Fairfield Kiwanis Club donated over $25,000 to local organizations, which included $15,000 in scholarships to local graduating high school students. Your support is greatly appreciated!

      Poinsettias are nursery-fresh, triple plants, 18"-20" tall, have 12-15 blooms, in an 8” foil wrapped pot and come in your choice of red, white or pink.

      Free delivery available in the Fairfield area with the purchase of 5 or more plants!

      Poinsettias are $25.00 each.

      *To insure perfect quality, all plants must be pre-sold with preferred pickup date as noted below.

      Two pickup dates scheduled: Pickup location:
      Saturday, November 26 Spear-Miller Funeral Home
      Saturday, December 10 39 South Benson Rd, Fairfield
      From 8am to 11am (across from Bob’s Store)

      ORDERS MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY FULL PAYMENT
      Make check payable to:  Kiwanis Club of Fairfield

      DECEMBER 1, 2011

      On this date, the Kiwanis Club of Sheffield, in cooperation with the Warm-The-Children campaign and cosponsored with the Berkshire Record newspaper, will have bought new winter clothing for approximately 90 needy children. Contributions were made by people in the seven-communities served by Sheffield Kiwanis and each child was taken to a local store by a Kiwanis shopper and given $80 to spend on warm clothing. This is an annual event. Please contact <todd116@...> for more information.

      The Kiwanis Club of Greater Seekonk (MA) will sponsor the 7TH Annual Tree Lighting on Thursday, December 1ST at 6:00pm at the Town Hall. The Kiwanis tree will be lit, the Hurley Middle School Brass Ensemble will play seasonal music.  Brownies will sing and Santa and Mrs. Claus will arrive by fire engine to meet all the children. Hot chocolate and cookies will be served. Donations for the local food pantry will also be collected. Please contact Beverly Hart, 508-336-9352 or <russellhart@...> for more information.

      DECEMBER 2 & 3, 2011

      KIWANIS JINGLE BELL EXPRESS

      Sponsored by the Kiwanis Club of Rockland (ME), children of all ages will be thrilled by the Christmas holiday train event aboard Maine Eastern Railroad with the running of the Kiwanis Jingle Bell EXPRESS on December 2 and 3. This will be the 2nd year that Kiwanis has been involved with the event, and the 7th consecutive season that the railroad has worked with a Midcoast-based, nonprofit organization to run a holiday-themed train in Rockland.

      Since taking over the event last year, the Kiwanis Club has developed a system to ensure continued success for the Friday and Saturday activity, which includes three trains on each night; a trip to Santa's Workshop; an on-board visit with Santa Claus; carol singing; cookies and cocoa; and a special gift for every child.

      According to Kiwanis Club president, Janet Page, the Jingle Bell EXPRESS is a wonderful occasion for Kiwanis members and other volunteers to work together to present an opportunity for families to spend quality time together, while building memories.

      Page said that the excitement of riding the train to the North Pole for a visit with Santa is what folks from all over Maine look forward to every year. “We had families from southern and western Maine who drove two hours to ride with us last year, as well as people from up and down the coast, including some from the islands,” Page added.

      Starting at the historic downtown passenger depot in Rockland, pajama-clad riders with pre-purchased tickets will board one of three trains each night for a journey on the rails to see the magic of Santa's outdoor workshop.

      Tickets are on sale between the hours of 8am and 4pm, Monday through Thursday, at the Maine Eastern Railroad offices at 4 Union Street, at the corner of Pleasant Street in Rockland. Tickets may be bought in person, or by calling 207.596.6725; reservations are strongly suggested.

      Advance ticket pricing through Noon on Wednesday, November 23 is $18 per person. Tickets will be $20 per person beginning November 28. A one dollar processing fee will also be added to the price of each ticket.

      Babies less than two years old will ride free in the laps of parents. There will be no ticket sales from November 24 through November 27. Although ticket sales will continue up to train time on a space available basis, all six trains are expected to sell out in advance.

      For more information about the Kiwanis Jingle Bell EXPRESS, click <www.rocklandkiwanis.com>; or call 207.596.6725 for reservations.

      DECEMBER 3, 2011

      The Kiwanis Pediatric Trauma Institute will be holding it's annual Open House this year on December 3, 2011, from 10am to 2 pm. Due to the overwhelming number of attendees last year, preregistration will be required. We are limited to 200 guests, so it's on a first come, first serve basis. Please see the attached form. Each individual MUST fill out a preregistration form to be registered for the event. Please contact Patricia Lupien with any questions at <plupien@...>. Hope to see you there!

      KKPTI Open House

      Wolff Auditorium
      Tufts Medical Center
      800 Washington St., Boston, MA 02111

      Name_________________________________________________

      Club__________________________________________________

      Address_______________________________________________

      Phone______________________email______

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)
    • Midge Lubot
      Message 288 of 288 , Apr 24 8:33 PM
      • 137 KB
      NEW ENGLAND & BERMUDA DISTRICT
      KIWANIS FAMILY UPDATES
      MIDGE K. LUBOT
      APRIL 25, 2014

      Please send all announcements to <events@...> by Thursday. All new announcements will be shown in blue each week, the announcements in green are for the District or Int’l. Events, the announcements in orange are for the Key Club, turquoise is for Circle K, purple is for the Builders Club, pink for the K-Kids and the announcements in maroon are for the Aktion Clubs.

      PLEASE SEND YOUR ANNOUNCEMENTS TO <events@...>

      THANK YOU!

      -------------------

      April 26, 2014

      State of Maine
      Regional Conference

      Saturday, April 26th
      8am-3:30pm
      Camp Sunshine, Casco, ME

      Cost $35 per person
      Includes Breakfast and Lunch

      CLE Training will be available for all incoming
      Presidents & Secretaries

      Register on line at: www.newenglandkiwanis.org

      For more information contact:
      Sharon Binette sbinette59@...
      or cell at 207-590-7781

      Saturday April 26th – 42nd Annual Kiwanis
      Piscataquis River Race
      Registration - 8:00 - 9:30 AM
      10:00 AM Start at Athletic Field in Guilford, Maine
      Finish line at Foxcroft Academy in Dover-Foxcroft, Maine
      Bring your family and friends to Dover-Foxcroft and enjoy a day on the Piscataquis River. Hot food, coffee & hot chocolate will be available at the starting line. Food and beverages will also be available at the finish line.
      GAS CARD RAFFLE: Need not be present to win. To purchase your tickets contact:
      Tim Hague at 564-8126 or 951-0715 or any Kiwanis member
      For more information please contact Brian Woodworth 207-217-0962 butterwood198@...
      Read more about the River Race on our website:  www.doverfoxcroftkiwanis.org

      MAY 16-23, 2014

      10th Annual Cruise to Division 26
      New England & Bermuda District of Kiwanis

      Join us in Bermuda in 2014!

      Our travel professional, Steve Shiff, suggests that you make your down payment for our Bermuda Cruise for 2014 now.

      Prices are going up, make your reservation before they rise again.

      Contact our Steve Shiff at Colby Corner Travel, 978-535-1952 or Bob Tandy, Cruise Committee Chair at 978-372-9890.
      You can also send an email to <bermudacruise@...>.

      See you on board!!

      MAY 17, 2014

      The Kiwanis Club of Meriden (CT) will clean up at Camp Nerden in Middlefield for their Kiwanis One Day Project.

      44th Annual Kiwanis Shad Derby 5K Road Race

      Saturday May 17, 2014 10AM Start Time

      The Kiwanis Club of Windsor is the proud sponsor of one of the longest continuously running road races in the state of Connecticut, attracting runners from Connecticut and surrounding states. The event, now called the Annual Kiwanis Shad Derby Road Race, will be the 44th in the string and is a certified 5K road race accompanied by a 2.5K fun walk. The 5K race takes you through parts of the town of Windsor, the oldest town in Connecticut, starting on the Windsor Green, along the picturesque Farmington River, through the historic campus of the Loomis Chaffee School land back to the Windsor Green. The Kiwanis Club will award medallions for the top finishers in individual age/gender categories as well as for the overall men and women’s first place finishers.

      The race is part of the annual Windsor Shad Derby Festival celebrating the end of winter and the advent of spring, inviting Windsor residents and people from surrounding towns to come and partake of foods from a variety of vendors as well as arts and craft booths and games for the children. The road race precedes the beginning of the festival allowing the racers to participate in the festival which includes watching the Shad Derby parade passing by the Green at 12:00.

      The Shad Derby Festival is a family event for both young and old. A beer garden is set up as part of the Festival for those 21 years of age and older. The beer garden will feature craft beers from nearby Thomas Hooker Brewing Co and Back East Brewing Co. as well as the old standbys Bud and Bud Lite. For the 37th year the Kiwanis Club of Windsor will be serving fried dough in front of the town hall. We hope to see you at this year’s Festival.

      To obtain more information or to register for this event please visit www.windsorkiwanis.org and click on the Road Race button.

      WHEN: May 17, 2014 @10:00 AM
      WHERE: Windsor Center
      Corner of Elm & Broad Streets
      RACE/WALK: 5K Certified Road Race (CT-04007-PH)
      2.5K Fun Walk
      CONTACT: To Register Visit – www.windsorkiwanis.org
      Tom Pompa (860-688-5921)

      MAY 30-31, 2014

      May 30 & 31, June 1
       2nd Annual Piscataquis Heritage
      Hot Air Balloon Festival
      Piscataquis Valley Fairgrounds, Dover-Foxcroft, Maine
      Founders:  Kiwanis Club of Dover-Foxcroft Maine – www.doverfoxcroftkiwanis.org
      and Piscataquis Chamber of Commerce – www.piscataquischamber.com
      Celebrating our Heritage Through Local Agriculture, Artisans and Tradesmen
      *Live Music*Balloon Glows* Movie Night*
      3 Days of Fun For The Whole Family

      June 13, 2014