Kiwanis Family Updates
- NEW ENGLAND DISTRICTKIWANIS FAMILY UPDATESMIDGE K. LUBOTJUNE 3, 2011Please send all announcements to <events@...> by Thursday. All new announcements will be shown in blue each week, the announcements in green are for the District or Int’l. Events, the announcements in orange are for the Key Club, turquoise is for Circle K, purple is for the Builders Club, pink for the K-Kids and the announcements in maroon are for the Aktion Clubs.PLEASE SEND YOUR ANNOUNCEMENTS TO <events@...>Thank you!!§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§FAMILY MEMBERSHIPThe new Family Membership Plan being offered in the New England District this year essentially means if one member of the family, or the household, is a Kiwanian, any other eligible family member or household member may join for half price. For example:Regular Membership Family MembershipKiwanis Int’l $42.00 Kiwanis Int’l $21.00NEDK $25.00 NEDK $12.50Magazine $ 8.00 No MagazineLiability Insurance $11.90 Liability Insurance $11.90TOTAL $86.90 $45.40For more information, please contact your Lt. Governor§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§MESSAGE FROM NED CIRCLE K GOVERNOR WILL BRADFORD:Hello Kiwanians!Catch up on all the latest news from Circle K with the May 2011 issue of Lobster Tales! Lobster Tales is our official district publication, wonderfully assembled by Editor Lydia Manzo, of the University of New Hampshire. Lobster Tales can be found on the top of the Publications page of our district website, here.Happy reading!Yours in Service,Will BradfordNew England District Governor, 2011-2012Circle K International§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§June 3, 2011The Kiwanis Club of Sanford (ME) will hold their 2011 Sanford Kiwanis Golf Tournament at the Sanford Country Club, Route 4, Sanford, ME on Friday, June 3RD. You must be at the course by 7am, there will be a Shotgun start at 8am with food and awards to immediately follow. There will be a Hole-in-One Contest, a $10,000 prize will be awarded if a player from the tournament is able to get a hole-in-one on the contest hole. The cost is $80 which includes a cart; Hole Sponsorship is $150, please specify if you have a hole preference. If you have any questions, please contact Joe LaRochelle at 207-229-0443 or <Joseph_S_LaRochelle@...>. Please RSVP by May 8TH. Here is a link to the brochure with all the details: <Kiwanis Golf Outing 2011>June 3-10, 2011OK EVERYONE, IT IS THAT TIME AGAIN!! “Bob Tandy has announced that this year there will be an important change for this year’s cruise! On this cruise, Bermudians will be able to fly to Boston and CRUISE home with us (and then stay in Bermuda, of course). Although it sounds simple, it has taken a few years for Bob to get this coordinated with Norwegian Cruise Lines. In the past, there were restrictions that prevented this kind of arrangement. Let’s encourage participation, people that have gone before, tell everyone what a great time you had & tell them they should try it out! The more Kiwanians that go, the more fun we will have!” Thanks PG John for the info!June 4, 2011The Kiwanis Club of Barre (VT) will hold a Bike Safety Course on Saturday, June 4TH (rain date is Saturday, June 11TH). The set up will be at 7am with the safety course for 4TH graders beginning at 8:30am. This will be held at the Barre City Elementary/Middle School.GIANT TAG SALE! The Kiwanis Club of Meriden (CT) is holding a Giant Tag Sale at the Meriden Hub, Pratt/State Streets, from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Helping them is as easy as 1) donating items; 2) renting a space; or 3) stopping by and shopping for bargain treasures. For more information, email <meridenkiwanistagsale@...> or call 203-235-6072. See you at the Tag Sale! (Rain date: June 5TH.)There will be a CLE Training in Northern CT/Western MA at the Westfield State University, Horace Mann Center, Garden Room. The $15-$25 Registration includes Training, Breakfast and Lunch. The Agenda is:7:45-9:15 Welcome9:15-11:45 Training(There will be sessions for all as well as breakout sessions)11:45-12:15 Working Lunch12:15-2:00 Wrap UpMeet with your Lt. Governor. The Facilitator will be George Delisle <gdelisle@...>.This CLE training is all new and improved! Don’t miss out on this opportunity!
- Learn the importance of leadership!
- Acquire the skills to run an effective meeting!
- Understand how to improve the member experience!
- Learn how to grow your club!
CLE training for Northern Maine (Club Leadership Education) for:Secretaries, Treasurers, Presidents, Board members or anyone who would like to learn more about Kiwanis:This is a great training for New Members to attend.Date: June 4th, 2011Location: Kennbec Valley YMCA/31 Union Street, Augusta, METime: 8:00 -1:00 pmPrice: $25.00 which includes (breakfast/muffins and coffee and a light lunch)Preregistration is required by May 27th. Please email Linda Wohl at <lindawohlmaine@...> to register.Spring FlingOldies Dance50’s 60’s 70’sDo you remember The Twist ~ Jitterbug ~ Disco ~ The StrollKiwanis Club of Saco River Valley (ME)Where: Captain’s GalleyOld Orchard BeachTime: 7 PM to 11 PMTickets: $10.00 eachFor Ticket Information Call: Club Z (207-284-9009)Raffles • Refreshments • Fun! Fun!Great Music by OLDIES “R” US!Mr MotownJune 5, 2011NEWINGTON The long awaited reopening of the nonprofit Kiwanis Club's Big K Flea Market for bargain shoppers happened on May 1 in Newington's Market Square Free Parking Lot and will open every Sunday from 8 AM to 2 PM for the following two months May and June weather permitting. Entrance is at 39 East Cedar St. (CT Route 175) Newington. Attracting sightseers and bargain seekers from all parts of Connecticut and nearby Massachusetts for 20 weeks each year since 1992, this event has become an inexpensive Sunday morning recreational and shopping destination for many, especially as an after-church activity. The eyes of eager bargain seekers will feast upon vendor's displays of clothing, electronics, housewares, crafts and almost every kind of exciting items new and used. Kiwanis President Dan Henry expressed a hope that good weather will enable the club to reach its annual goals of helping the community from the funds it raises from space rentals to vendors and arts crafters ($15) and from admissions which are still only $1. More information is available at 860-667-2864 or <acohen102@...>.June 6, 2011The Kiwanis Club of Haverhill (MA) will hold their 22ND Annual Golf Classic at the beautiful sought after private course, Haverhill Country Club. This is a Jet Blue Challenge sponsored event with 4 par three hole-in-one prizes of 5 day/4 night trips with air for two; one second change mulligan on one of the four par 3’s (extra cost); shoot out for $50,000 of the top par 3 closest to the pin; putting contest (extra cost); 12 inch glass Jet Blue Champion trophy; numerous well known raffle and auction items. You will get all of this for an entry price of $200. Go to <http://www.haverhillkiwanis.org>, click on the event, fill out the form and fax to 978-374-2109 or email to <kiwanian@...> or snail mail to Haverhill Kiwanis, PO Box 109A, Haverhill, MA 01831.June 9, 2011The Kiwanis Club of Stamford (CT) is hosting their 17th Annual Golf Outing and Fundraiser on Thursday, June 9TH at Sterling Farms Golf Course in Stamford. Cookout will start at 12:30pm and shotgun/scramble is a 1:30pm. Price is $175/golfer or $700/foursome. Hole-in-One Prize is a 2011 Mini Cooper Convertible. There are corporate, tent and flag sponsorship opportunities available. All monies raised from the event go to support the Stamford Youth that the Stamford Kiwanis Club supports. To sign up to play or to be a sponsor please contact Christopher Tasik at <ctasik@...>.June 11, 2011The Kiwanis Club of Beverly (MA) will be holding their 3RD Annual Boston Duck Tour, Quack with Kiwanis on Saturday, June 11TH. This event is lots of fun and tickets are $40.In accordance with the Kiwanis Foundation of New England, Inc. Bylaws, the call to their annual meeting has been given. The meeting will be held on Saturday, June 11, 2011, at 10 AM at Tufts Medical Center’s Wolff Auditorium, 800 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111. The purpose of this meeting is to elect five (5) directors to a three-year term as board members of the KFNE, to hear appropriate reports, and to take may other action properly brought before the meeting in accordance with the Bylaws of the Foundation. Each Kiwanis Club in good standing in the New England District shall be permitted one (1) voting representative. All Kiwanians are welcome to attend and shall be allowed voice when duly recognized. If you would like to be the official representative of the club, please contact your Club Secretary.There will be a CLE Training in Eastern MA at the Everett City Hall, 484 Broadway, Everett, MA. The $15-$25 Registration includes Training, Breakfast and Lunch. The Agenda is:7:45-9:15 Welcome9:15-11:45 Training(There will be sessions for all as well as breakout sessions)11:45-12:15 Working Lunch12:15-2:00 Wrap UpMeet with your Lt. Governor. The Facilitator will be Bill Barney <yjbarney@...>.This CLE training is all new and improved! Don’t miss out on this opportunity!
The Kiwanis Club of Mount Washington Valley (NH) is holding the “World’s Largest Miniature Golf Tourney.” Join them for a day of “WACKY Golf” where nothing is what is seems to be. If your club would like to sponsor a hole, let them know! You keep all the proceeds you raise from corporate sponsors, team sponsors and web-based fund raising to connect with friends and family all over. Contact Myles Crowe 603.383.8913 or <mjc@...> if you have any interest in having a fun day and raising some money for your club.June 12, 2011On Sunday, June 12, everyone is invited to the best outdoor Pancake Breakfast put on by the Kiwanis Club of Auburn-Lewiston (ME). A tradition for over 50 years brings friends and family together for a great time. All proceeds are used to help youth in our community. It has been held annually, since 1957, on the second Sunday in June at the Auburn Plaza. Plenty of parking in the garage, downtown location that can be easy to access, and always great friends to see and make. All one can eat at one sitting and kids under 5 are free. Just $5 in advance, and $6 at the door, allows you to enter anytime between 6:30 and 11:30 Sunday.NEWINGTON (CT) The long awaited reopening of the nonprofit Kiwanis Club's Big K Flea Market for bargain shoppers happened on May 1 in Newington's Market Square Free Parking Lot and will open every Sunday from 8 AM to 2 PM for the following two months May and June weather permitting. Entrance is at 39 East Cedar St. (CT Route 175) Newington. Attracting sightseers and bargain seekers from all parts of Connecticut and nearby Massachusetts for 20 weeks each year since 1992, this event has become an inexpensive Sunday morning recreational and shopping destination for many, especially as an after-church activity. The eyes of eager bargain seekers will feast upon vendor's displays of clothing, electronics, housewares, crafts and almost every kind of exciting items new and used. Kiwanis President Dan Henry expressed a hope that good weather will enable the club to reach its annual goals of helping the community from the funds it raises from space rentals to vendors and arts crafters ($15) and from admissions which are still only $1. More information is available at 860-667-2864 or <acohen102@...>.Patricia Lupien of KPTI is walking/running in the 2011 Harbor Walk & Run to benefit Tufts Medical Center and Floating Hospital for Children. You can be a part of this great day too, either by signing up to walk or run yourself or by making a contribution. You can do either (or both!) online at: <www.harborwalkrun.org>.The Kiwanis Club of Danvers (MA) is Celebrating their 50TH Anniversary with brunch at the Danversport Yacht Club, 161 Elliot St, Danvers, MA, from 11:30 until 2. The cost will be $30 per person. Please contact President Kay Maurice for tickets at <ktmaurice@...> or 978-762-6416.June 14, 2011DIVISION 14 INTERCLUBTuesday June 14th, 6pmSpinelli’s, 282 Bennington Street, East Boston 02128$20/per personGuest Speaker: Treasurer and Receiver GeneralSteven GrossmanSteve Grossman brings to the office of Treasurer and Receiver General a family heritage of public service, a lifetime dedicated to helping others, and years of experience as a hard-working businessman with a sense of responsibility for the well-being of his colleagues and his community.He is committed to using the full potential of the Treasurer’s office to protect the public’s money, help create jobs, boost small businesses, and bring new standards of transparency and disclosure to state government. Throughout his career he has had an unshakable commitment to recruiting, hiring, and retaining the most qualified people, based on merit, and that principle will guide his new administration.Steve has spent the last 35 years creating jobs, managing money, dealing with crises, and finding commonsense solutions to problems as CEO of Grossman Marketing Group in Somerville, a 100-year-old, fourth-generation family business. He grew the company’s revenues eightfold, entering new markets and repositioning the company to meet the challenges of an evolving economy. Steve knows what it’s like to meet a payroll and to keep a business going in tough times, and he brings that expertise and commitment to public office.He is a leading figure in numerous charitable organizations. Steve serves as a trustee of Project Bread, an advisory board member of the Women’s Lunch Place, and chairs the advisory board of Cambridge College. He was a founding board member of Massachusetts Institute for a New Commonwealth (MassINC), a former campaign chair of Combined Jewish Philanthropies, and a founding board member of the Lenny Zakim Fund.As chairman of both the Massachusetts and national Democratic parties, Steve established a track record as a reformer and builder – working aggressively to implement effective management and financial controls while at the same time empowering more activists to participate in political life. He was elected Treasurer in 2010.Steve is a graduate of Princeton University and Harvard Business School. His wife, Dr. Barbara Wallace Grossman, a theater historian, author, and director, is a professor at Tufts University and serves as Vice Chair of the Massachusetts Cultural Council. They have three sons, David, Ben, and Josh.Please RSVP by June 9th to Marisa Di Pietro617-650-3442 or <mdipietro@...>June 15, 2011The Kiwanis Club of Middletown (CT) will celebrate their 60TH Anniversary on Wednesday, June 15TH at the Watsworth Mansion and tickets are $60 each.June 17,2011New England District of KiwanisREGIONAL CLE TrainingDivision 5 & 6(TWO DATES IN WHICH TO CHOOSE)Friday, June 17, 2011
- Learn the importance of leadership!
- Acquire the skills to run an effective meeting!
- Understand how to improve the member experience!
- Learn how to grow your club!
(Message over 64 KB, truncated)
- NEW ENGLAND & BERMUDA DISTRICTKIWANIS FAMILY UPDATESMIDGE K. LUBOTMay 9, 2014Please send all announcements to <events@...> by Thursday. All new announcements will be shown in blue each week, the announcements in green are for the District or Int’l. Events, the announcements in orange are for the Key Club, turquoise is for Circle K, purple is for the Builders Club, pink for the K-Kids and the announcements in maroon are for the Aktion Clubs.PLEASE SEND YOUR ANNOUNCEMENTS TO <events@...>THANK YOU!-------------------MAY 14, 2014
Kiwanis Pediatric Trauma Lecture SeriesThe Lecture Series will be combined with the Floating Hospital’s Pediatric Grand Rounds:Wednesday, May 14, 201412 – 1 PMWolff AuditoriumTufts Medical Center, 800 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111Come hear the story of Dixie Coskie and her son, Paul who suffered atraumatic brain injury and their family’s struggle to understand and copewith his injury. Dixie has written a riveting book about their experience“Unthinkable, A Mother’s Tragedy, Terror, and Triumph through A Child’sTraumatic Brain Injury”.Their story is amazing, powerful and inspiring. All are welcome to attend.Victoria GuerinaProgram SpecialistKiwanis Pediatric Trauma InstituteTufts Medical Center800 Washington Street #344Boston, MA 02111p: 617-636-6381MAY 16-23, 201410th Annual Cruise to Division 26New England & Bermuda District of KiwanisJoin us in Bermuda in 2014!Our travel professional, Steve Shiff, suggests that you make your down payment for our Bermuda Cruise for 2014 now.Prices are going up, make your reservation before they rise again.Contact our Steve Shiff at Colby Corner Travel, 978-535-1952 or Bob Tandy, Cruise Committee Chair at 978-372-9890.You can also send an email to <bermudacruise@...>.See you on board!!MAY 17, 2014The Kiwanis Club of Meriden (CT) will clean up at Camp Nerden in Middlefield for their Kiwanis One Day Project.