Kiwanis Family Updates

  • Midge Lubot
    Message 1 of 290 , Apr 1, 2010

      NEW ENGLAND DISTRICT
      KIWANIS FAMILY UPDATES
      MIDGE K. LUBOT ~ EDITOR
      APRIL 2, 2010

      Please send all announcements to <events@...> by Thursday. All new announcements will be shown in blue each week, the announcements in green are for the District or Int’l. Events, the announcements in orange are for the Key Club, brown is for Circle K and the announcements in maroon are for the Aktion Clubs.

      MESSAGE FROM FRANK DENNETT:

      The New England District of Kiwanis is pleased to announce that it has joined TD Bank's Affinity Membership Program. This program provides the district with an opportunity to earn annual cash donations from TD Bank based upon how many members in the district participate in the program. We are thrilled about how easy it is to participate in this program and there is no cost to the members to do so.

      Here is how it works:

      • TD Bank will donate a percentage of the annual balance in every one of our members' accounts who participate in the program.
      No withdrawal is made from YOUR Ira Account. TD Bank donates its own funds based upon your balance.
      Checking, savings, money market, CD's, and retirement accounts are all eligible. Business accounts qualify too!
      There is no limit on the amount of the potential donation the district will receive. The more members who participate ... the more money we can earn.

      Here is how you can participate:
      If you already have an account with TD Bank, visit or call your local branch and tell a Customer Service Representative that you would like your account(s) linked to the New England Kiwanis affinity program.

      The affinity code for the New England District is A1137.
      • If you do not have an account with TD Bank, visit any TD Bank location and open an account. Let the TD Bank representative know that you want your account linked to the New England Kiwanis affinity program. The affinity code for the New England District is A1137.

      If you have questions about this program, please contact me.

      Frank Dennett
      District Secretary
      207-439-3573

      We have been informed that the Shaw's Community Rewards program will cease on April 30, 2010. The Final Payout should be received by the end of May, 2010. The notice does thank our Kiwanis Foundation of New England for its' participation in the Community Rewards Program, and they look forward to continuing to support the Foundation through their other community programs. There are Grants available in three focus areas -- hunger, health and nutrition, or environmental stewardship --we are encouraged to apply for a community grant if these are our focus areas, by visiting www.shaws.com. Ed Murphy, Finance Chair.

      Shaw’s program is running, please go to Shaw’s & sign up for it. You can add your choice & the percentage for the group & it will then be automatic! Shop on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday and NE Kiwanis Foundation will get a donation equal to 1% of what you spend. The name and code for NE Kiwanis is “Kiwanis Foundation of New England: ID #49001019000.” If you have the code number to add to your rewards information, it is much easier & faster than searching by name.

      APRIL 5, 2010

      Division 9 will be holding their Caucus and Governor Dave’s visit. Please inform Lt Governor Marty <waterguard@...> who your two club representatives are by April 4TH. Don’t forget to RSVP the Hardwick club by April 2ND because they need to know how many people for whom to prepare. Please call Richard Brochu days at (802)472-8282.

      The Kiwanis Club of Hardwick (VT) is having their Annual Sugar on Snow Party on Monday, April 5TH. The social starts around 5:30pm, Dinner will begin around 6:30pm. The cost is $20 per person and includes Beverages, Grilled Steakhouse Tips, Salad, Bakes Potatoes, Rolls and Mario’s Famous Sugar on Snow for Dessert. Dress for the outdoors, mud and/or snow! Please RSVP by April 2ND. -Thank you! Call Richard Brochu days at 802-472-8282. See y’all there!! Graciously hosted again by Mario & Mary Jane Fradette at their Sugar House.

      April 9-11, 2010

      The Key Club’s 61ST Annual Conference will be held on April 9-11TH in Springfield, MA. All Kiwanians are invited to attend. The cost is $175.00 for two nights and two meals. For more information, please email Gov Emily at <nedgovemily@...>.

      APRIL 10, 2010

      KIWANIS ONE DAY OF SERVICE:   A worldwide single day of service

      Kiwanis members work in their communities all year long. For one day in April each year, the entire Kiwanis family—Kiwanis Kids, Builders Club, Key Club, Circle K, Aktion Club and Kiwanis clubs—comes together for a day of hands-on community service that is felt around the world.

      It’s called Kiwanis One Day—and the more hands we have helping, the more lives we will touch. Any project, big or small, is worth tackling. Projects include anything from building playgrounds to volunteering at a shelter to stocking shelves at a food pantry

      The Kiwanis Club of Salem (NH) have united all their local Elementary School PTAs for the first time in Salem history and will join them in sponsoring this nationally renowned artist Rob Surette and his “Amazing Hero Art.” Check out his amazing artistry at <http://www.amazingheroart.com>. He has been seen on “Oprah” and “The Today Show” to name a few. The proceeds raised will all be donated to all the schools PTAs. If anyone is interested in attending the ticket price is only $8.00 and family four pack for $30.00. With the admission cost you are entered into a door prize raffle of many locally donated items. This will be held on Saturday, April 10TH, 7pm at Salem, NH High School. Please contact Salem Vice President Tony Fabrizio <asfab1@...> or (603)890-3530 or Secretary Todd Gibbs <tagibb1@...> or (617)335-4452.

      The Kiwanis Club of Cheshire (CT) is having their 35TH Annual Colonial Breakfast at the Cheshire High School from 8am till 11am. It is located on Route 10 in Cheshire. The menu consists of ham, bacon, eggs, home fries, pancakes, muffins, butter, orange juice, coffee, tea, milk and is all you can eat. The price is only $5.00. After the breakfast they will be serving lunch which is an additional cost. If you would like to advertise your business, please contact Kenneth Anderson at (203) 272-1372 or email <kanderson6888@...> and your business will be shown on the placemats. They also provide free meals for seniors, needy families and children with autism.

      The Kiwanis Club of Revere (MA) along with the Kiwanis Club of East Boston (MA) will work together on their annual Belle Isle Marsh Clean-Up  Project. They will meet at Belle isle Marsh Reservation park entrance located on Bennington Street (across from MBTA Suffolk Downs stop on the Blue Line). Typically they begin at 9am and finish shortly after noon. The Kiwanis Club of Revere will provide coffee and donuts in the morning. The Kiwanis Club of East Boston will supply pizza and drinks for lunch. This event is open to all those that want to volunteer their time.

      The Kiwanis Club of Rockland (ME) is having a Spring Fling Extravaganza on April 10TH from 10AM to noon. This free event is for children under the age of 8 must be accompanied by a parent or Older Brother or Sister (Baby Sitter). We will be having a fun time doing crafts and playing games. All children will go away with whatever they may make and maybe a prize. Rockland Kiwanis Members along with the Kiwanis Key Club and Builders Club members will be helping out with face painting, games & working at all the Craft tables. The admission is free to all. Please contact John Batty for more information at 207-596-6989.

      The Kiwanis Club of East Boston (MA), together with members of the Kiwanis Club of Revere, the East Boston and Revere High School Key Clubs, the ROTC, the Friends of the Belle Isle Marsh and other community groups from East Boston, Winthrop and Revere, is celebrating Kiwanis International’s service initiative, Kiwanis One Day, joining 600,000 other Kiwanians in a day dedicated to community service. The Kiwanis Club of East Boston along with other volunteer participants will be performing a 5 hours cleanup of the Belle Isle Marsh Reservation, an urban natural resource protected by the Department of Conservation and Recreation as well as Friends of the Belle Isle Marsh organization. To participate in this event, please contact Kiwanis One Day Committee Chairperson, Honorable Judge Joseph Ferrino (Ret) at 617-569-2110 or Marisa Di Pietro, the President of the Kiwanis Club of East Boston at 617-650-3442. We need your help and support to make this Saturday, April 10TH from 9am to 2pm a great success.
      Please join us - refreshments will be served!

      The Kiwanis Club of Manchester (NH) will be working at the Boys & Girls Club to do some Spring clean up and to assemble some newly purchased playground equipment. This equipment was part of a facilities expansion that began last summer and has just been completed.

      The Kiwanis Club of Salem (NH) will be holding a fundraiser called the “Amazing Hero Art - Be Somebody” at the Salem High School Auditorium at 7pm. Tickets are $8.00 each. To see what this event is about, go to <http://www.AmazingHeroArt.com> and contact Tony Fabrizio at 603-890-3530 or <ASFAB1@...> for tickets.

      The Kiwanis Club of Brattleboro (VT) will be working at the warehouse of the Vermont Food Bank in Brattleboro. This unit serves genies in the southern portion of the state providing collection & distribution of food to those agencies. The warehouse is new to the Food Bank and there are a number of jobs to be done. Karen Cedegren, the organizer, thinks they will be painting. The tasks have not yet been assigned. It will be a 9-5 day for a group of Kiwanians.

      Division 8 (Berlin, NH, Colebrook, NH and St Johnsbury, VT) will be working together to help repair and clean up the dugouts and Recreation Center in Groveton, NH, the home of the Kiwanis Club of St Johnsbury’s Key Club. Groveton has been severely hit by the closing of it’s last paper mill several years ago.

      April 13, 2010

      The Kiwanis Club of Colebrook (NH) will hold their Annual Meeting on Tuesday, April 13TH at 7:15AM at the Wilderness Restaurant. Voting for open positions on the Board of Directors and Officers will take place during the meeting. Midyear reports will also be given at this time.

      April 14, 2010

      Division 19 will hold their Caucus and Division Council Meeting at 6:30pm. During the evening, we will have the Division 19 Caucus, electing the Lt Governor for next year; a Division Council Meeting, a Division pow-wow to talk about Club and Division strengths and weaknesses, as well as visits from the candidates for District Offices. This will be held at J.J. McKay’s Restaurant and Pub, 171 Commonwealth Road, Wayland, MA. It will be an Italian buffet style dinner and the cost is $16 per person. Please RSVP to Elyse Denorfia at <ElyseMD@...> or 860-518-6255 by April 8TH if you are planning to attend.

      April 17, 2010

      On April 17TH, Tri-Town Golden K Kiwanis Club (Meriden, CT) will hold it's semiannual Pancake Breakfast at The First Baptist Church on Broad St. in Meriden. Breakfast will be served between 7:30 AM and 10:00 AM.  It will consist of pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, juice and pastry. The cost is $7.00 for adults and $4.00 for children and all proceeds go to our children's programs.

      April 19-24, 2010

      The Kiwanis Club of Sheffield (MA) will be holding a “Stuff A Bus Food Drive”  for their Kiwanis One Day project. This will support the three food programs of Sheffield and Great Barrington. The Kiwanis Club of Sheffield is parking a big yellow school bus in the Berkshire GMC lot, Route 7 South, Great Barrington. Please bring any non-perishable items to the bus between 9 and 4, Monday through Saturday. Collection boxes will be placed in area businesses in April. The Club has enlisted the help of the Great Barrington Rotary, Sheffield Historical Society, local scout troops, schools, churches, synagogues and other organizations throughout our community with collecting food. Assistance will also come from the Sheffield Kiwanis’ extended family, the Muddy Brook K-Kids, Monument Valley Builders’ Club, Monument Mountain Key Club and Southern Berkshire Aktion Club. For more information, please email <deniserueger@...> or call 413-229-0396.

      April 26, 2010

      The New England District of Kiwanis Official Governor’s Visit to Division 10, 11 & 14 is scheduled for Monday night, April 26TH. It is at 6:00pm at the Continental Restaurant and the cost is $30. There will be NO AFTERNOON MEETING on Tuesday, April 17TH as we hope members will attend the event on Monday night instead. Please RSVP with Marisa as soon as possible. Make your check payable to Kiwanis Club of EVERETT.

      April 30, 2010

      The Kiwanis Club of Danbury (CT) is holding it’s Annual Kiwanis is for Kids Fundraising Breakfast & Silent Auction. It will be at the Amber Room & Colonnade, Rte 37 and Stacy Road, Danbury, CT from 7:30am to 9am on Friday, April 30TH. Reservations for a Table of ten for $150.00 may be made at <foster@...>.

      MAY 1, 2010

      Keene Sponsors the Kool Wheels Safety Rodeo:

      The big three causes of car and bike crashes for children under 15 are:
      1. Riding out of a driveway without stopping. 30% of all serious crashes.
      2. Running stop signs. 30%
      1. Turning left without yielding. 30%

      The Kiwanis Club of Keene (NH) has vowed to make a difference in these statistics by holding its annual Bike Safety Rodeo called “Wheels” on Saturday, May 1 from 10AM – 12 noon. This exciting event will be held at the Keene Parks and Recreation Center on Washington Street. The Kiwanis Club of Keene and The Cheshire Medical Center/Dartmouth Hitchcock Keene have again partnered together to provide the distribution of free helmets to children under 12 as well as many safety lessons. Monadnock Cycle Club will be checking bicycles for safety and the KPD will finger print kids and we will provide healthy snacks for the kids. Bring your child’s bike or skateboard and challenge them with our “road course.” You will also be able to have your Car Seat checked for a correct placement. Contact Kiwanian Betsy Cotter at BCotter@... for further information.

      The Kiwanis Club of West Hartford (CT) will be holding their 2ND Annual Jeans and Martinis at the Newington Firehouse. Join them for a martini creation contest, a 50/50 drawing and various food, drinks and other prizes. The tickets are $20 each, please contact Claudia Bowles <kiwaniswh@...> or Elisabeth Umpleby <eumpleby14@...>.

      MAY 8, 2010

      The Kiwanis Club of Keene (NH) is having its second annual Gator Golf-Family Mini golf Dental Awareness & Children's Health Day for school children and their families. This fundraiser and community service event is an opportunity for our Kiwanis Club to work with the five youth clubs we sponsor at the college, high school and junior high levels to help encourage better dental health, while having fun, and teaching leadership skills. This event will take place at Arnone’s Family Fun Center, Rt. 32, Swanzey, in Cheshire County, on Saturday, May 8, from 10 am till noon. You can bet your “eye teeth” it will be a big event. Members of the local dental community are supporting us by buying a simple ad or coupon to include in our program; sponsoring a hole on one of the courses and be recognized with a plaque of recognition; providing dental supplies like floss or toothbrushes to put in “goodie bags” for each child; or by helping sponsor our Gator Golf tee shirts.  Our primary aim is to put on a fun event for kids and parents; get our Kiwanis name out in the public; and to promote good dental hygiene for the kids and families. Come join us! For more information, check www.keenekiwanis.org or contact Jodi at (603) 381-1717.

      MAY 10, 2010

      The Kiwanis Club of Fairfield (CT) will be holding it’s First Annual Golf Tournament to benefit the Bridgeport Rescue Mission. This event will be held on Monday, May 10TH at the Tashua Knolls Golf Course, 40 Tashua Knolls Lane, Trumbull, CT. There will be a shotgun start beginning at noon, a reception at 5:30pm and the dinner/awards/raffle will begin at 6pm. The cost is $175.00 per person, which includes the green fees, golf cart, lunch, dinner and a gift bag. To register for this event, become a sponsor or take out an Ad in the commemorative program, please contact Dirk Vanderblue at 203.5454.8620 or <vanderblue@...> or Al Paolozzo at 203.260.8993 or <albert.paolozzi@.... To download a registration form, go to <http://www.fairfieldkiwanis.org> and click on the Golf Tournament link.

      MAY 14-16, 2010

      The next Key Leader Weekend is May 14-16 at Camp Hayward on the Cape. Please start talking it up to your clubs NOW! We do not want another charge to the district because it is not full! We need 60 students. To get the word out, we need the clubs to go to your schools and market this weekend. It can be a life changing experience for some students. If you do not know enough about Key Leader, please go to the web site: <key-leader.org> and print out the information. You will be able to bring that to the schools. Also your Lt. Governor should have information for you. It was given to them at the Fall Conference. PLEASE...let's fill this weekend! Thank you! Cathy Finkle <cathy1996@...>.

      MAY 15, 2010

      The Kiwanis Club of Waterbury (CT) is announcing that due to a scheduling issue, the Bike Rodeo sponsored by their Club has been rescheduled to May 15TH. This will be held at Bronson Library Park beginning at 10am.

      MAY 20, 2010

      The Kiwanis Club of New London (CT) will hold their Annual Golf Tourney on May 20TH at Shennecossett Municipal Golf Club, Groton, CT. Please contact Sherry Lombardi <slombo@...> or 860-437-0293 or Ted Nelson <ted@...> or 860-235-0770.

      MAY 21 - 28, 2010

      ANNUAL BERMUDA CRUISE, TIME IS GROWING SHORT, IF YOU HAVEN’T GONE YET, YOU SHOULD TREAT YOURSELF, YOU WON’T REGRET IT! AFTER THE GREAT SHOW WE ALL SAW AT THE MIDWINTER CONFERENCE, HOW CAN YOU NOT GO TO BERMUDA!! CONTACT BOB TANDY <kiwanisb2t@...> Message from Gov Dave:

      Hi everyone, well, its just a few short (8) weeks till we set sail once again for the lovely island of Bermuda...I know I have asked a lot of you to join me and I do understand your reasons if you are not, but we are just 4 cabins away from reaching our goal...now please if you could, contact your clubs, your Presidents and even those outside of Kiwanis, who just might like to go....for those of you who have attended know it’s a great time. We even had a preview at the Midwinter conference… sooooo, if you know of anyone who would like to join us, please contact Bob Tandy and we can get the wheels moving. As I said, just a few more cabins and we can reach our goal...thank you all and I hope to talk to everyone soon...Dave Koohy

      MAY 26, 2010

      The Tri-Town Golden K Kiwanis Club (Meriden, CT) is sponsoring a bus trip to New York City. The bus leaves Meriden at 8:30 for NYC with the first stop a gourmet lunch aboard the Bateaux New York as you cruise the Hudson River. In the afternoon, a visit to the USS Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum. Over 30 aircraft including A-12 Blackbird spy planes. Also, one of the supersonic Concord is on display and a submarine tied up dockside. Returning to Meriden about 7:30pm. The cost is $110.00 per person all inclusive.

      JUNE 23-26, 2010

      2010 INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION, LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, OUR OWN STEVE HILL WILL BE RUNNING FOR INTERNATIONAL TRUSTEE! BESIDES STEVE, THE ADDITIONAL ATTRACTIONS ARE FORMER SECRETARY OF STATE COLIN POWELL AND JAY LENO. HOW CAN WE PASS UP A DEAL LIKE THIS!!

      June 26, 2010

      The Fourth Annual Keene (NH) Kiwanis Antique Dealers Show and Sale will be at the Keene High School on Arch Street in Keene, NH on Saturday, June 26TH. Doors will open to the public at 9am and are open till 3pm. There is a huge parking area, plenty of indoor space for dealers, food and drinks available throughout the show and is located at the easily accessible Keene High School. The previous years shows have gone so well, they are expanding to include more dealers! Questions? Contact Dave Ganio, their point man for the project <glmgt@...>.

      July 30, 2010

      The Second Annual Gerrish/Engdahl Golf Tournament will be held Friday, July 30TH at Juniper Hill Golf Course at Northborough, MA. It will be a shotgun start at 9am and registration will be $175 per person. Early bird registration is by June 15 and deduct $25 per golfer. This cost of $175 includes Green Fees, a GPS Golf Cart and reception (cash bar). There will be a number of prizes and give a ways including Score a Hole in One win $10,000. This will be sponsored by State-Line Graphics (Everett, MA) and Art and Steve Berardino. Please email Todd Delaney <toddrdelaneyme@...> or call 207-415-1308 or email Art Berardino <art@...> for more details. THEY NEED SUPPORT FOR ADS AND SPONSORSHIP FOR HOLES AS WELL AS RECEPTION AFTER THE TOURNAMENT. THIS GOLF TOURNAMENT RAISES MONEY FOR KPTI AND YOUR FOUNDATION, SO PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD AND HELP US BUILD THIS EVENT.

      September 11-12, 2010

      The Kiwanis Club of Fairfield (CT) will be holding their 19th annual Fall Juried Arts and Crafts Fair, on Saturday, September 11TH and Sunday, September 12TH, from 10am to 5pm. Up to 100 crafters, selling original handmade work, will be on hand. In addition, the Kiwanis Club of Fairfield will be selling their famous hamburgers, hot dogs and bacon-egg-cheese sandwiches. Also, there will be a Bake Sale, a Hardy Mums sale, a Crafter's Raffle and some live entertainment. To download a crafters application, please visit our web site at <http://www.fairfieldkiwanis.org>, and midway down the first page, click on the Craft Fair link. For additional questions, please contact John Hackett at (203) 543-2697, <jrhackett114@...> or Glenn Barnhard at (203) 256-8481, <gmbarch@...>.
    • Midge Lubot
      Message 290 of 290 , May 8, 2014
      NEW ENGLAND & BERMUDA DISTRICT
      KIWANIS FAMILY UPDATES
      MIDGE K. LUBOT
      May 9, 2014

      Please send all announcements to <events@...> by Thursday. All new announcements will be shown in blue each week, the announcements in green are for the District or Int’l. Events, the announcements in orange are for the Key Club, turquoise is for Circle K, purple is for the Builders Club, pink for the K-Kids and the announcements in maroon are for the Aktion Clubs.

      PLEASE SEND YOUR ANNOUNCEMENTS TO <events@...>

      THANK YOU!

      -------------------

      MAY 14, 2014

      Kiwanis Pediatric Trauma Lecture Series

      The Lecture Series will be combined with the Floating Hospital’s Pediatric Grand Rounds:

      Wednesday, May 14, 2014
      12 – 1 PM
      Wolff Auditorium
      Tufts Medical Center, 800 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111

      Come hear the story of Dixie Coskie and her son, Paul who suffered a
      traumatic brain injury and their family’s struggle to understand and cope
      with his injury. Dixie has written a riveting book about their experience
      “Unthinkable, A Mother’s Tragedy, Terror, and Triumph through A Child’s
      Traumatic Brain Injury”.

      Their story is amazing, powerful and inspiring. All are welcome to attend.

      Victoria Guerina
      Program Specialist
      Kiwanis Pediatric Trauma Institute
      Tufts Medical Center
      800 Washington Street #344
      Boston, MA 02111
      p: 617-636-6381

      MAY 16-23, 2014

      10th Annual Cruise to Division 26
      New England & Bermuda District of Kiwanis

      Join us in Bermuda in 2014!

      Our travel professional, Steve Shiff, suggests that you make your down payment for our Bermuda Cruise for 2014 now.

      Prices are going up, make your reservation before they rise again.

      Contact our Steve Shiff at Colby Corner Travel, 978-535-1952 or Bob Tandy, Cruise Committee Chair at 978-372-9890.
      You can also send an email to <bermudacruise@...>.

      See you on board!!

      MAY 17, 2014

      The Kiwanis Club of Meriden (CT) will clean up at Camp Nerden in Middlefield for their Kiwanis One Day Project.