309Kiwanis Family Updates

  • Midge Lubot
    Oct 10, 2013
      NEW ENGLAND & BERMUDA DISTRICT
      KIWANIS FAMILY UPDATES
      MIDGE K. LUBOT
      October 11, 2013

      Please send all announcements to <events@...> by Thursday. All new announcements will be shown in blue each week, the announcements in green are for the District or Int’l. Events, the announcements in orange are for the Key Club, turquoise is for Circle K, purple is for the Builders Club, pink for the K-Kids and the announcements in maroon are for the Aktion Clubs.

      PLEASE SEND YOUR ANNOUNCEMENTS TO <events@...>

      THANK YOU!

      -------------------

      AIM FOR SUCCESS - THE ELIMINATE PROJECT 2015

      MATERNAL AND NEONATAL TETANUS ELIMINATION ANNOUNCEMENTS

      Sierra Leone and Gabon eliminate maternal and neonatal tetanus - 9/16/13

      26 COUNTRIES WITH MATERNAL AND NEONATAL TETANUS

      Africa (16)
      Angola, Central African Republic, Chad, DRC (Congo), Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Guinea, Kenya, Madagascar, Mauritania, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan
      Middle East (4)
      Afghanistan, India (15 of 35 states), Pakistan, Yemen
      The Americas (1)
      Haiti
      Asian Pacific (5)
      Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Papua New Guinea, Philippines

      33 COUNTRIES THAT HAVE ELIMINATED MATERNAL AND NEONATAL TETANUS

      Africa (26)
      Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Comoros, Congo, Cote D’Ivoire, East Timor, Egypt, Eritrea, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
      Middle East (2)
      Iraq, Turkey
      Asian Pacific (5)
      Bangladesh, China, Myanmar, Nepal, Vietnam

      In 1999 59 countries suffered with maternal/neonatal tetanus deaths of mothers and newborns. When Kiwanis jointed in partnership with UNICEF in 2010 39 countries still had the problem. Today with Kiwanis’s help only 26 countries need help. GOAL: $110 MILLION BY 2015 13 countries have eliminated maternal neonatal tetanus since 2010. We ARE making progress. Let's keep up the pace; have fun while we work to eliminate MNT!

      Ava Adams, District Chair 2012-13
      Early Childhood Development/Young Children Priority One(Y.C.P.O.)

      --------------------

      October 15, 2013

      KEY CLUB WEEK

      Key Club Week gives you the opportunity to show your community what Key Club is truly about: service. Each day places an emphasis on service, to promote Key Club within our homes, schools and communities and to make Key Club a household name.

      Do your part to make sure Key Club Week—Nov. 4-8, 2013—starts Kiwanis Family Month with a bang. Join other Key Clubs from around the world by following the suggestions below. Check out the Key Club Week Manual for more ideas for each day.

      MONDAY, NOV. 4
      Show your K in every way—Show people what Key Club is all about! Spread the word by wearing Key Club gear and publicizing Key Club Week in local stores, your school Web site, community newspapers—even on the radio. Officially announce Key Club Week in your community with a
      proclamation and refer to the Key Club public relations manual to get great tips on how to publicize Key Club in your community.

      TUESDAY, NOV. 5
      Kudos to the Key players—Personally thank all the Key Club supporters you know—teachers, advisors and other Key players. Write thank-you notes, host an appreciation dinner or do something uniquely your own style to recognize the contributions of these special people.

      WEDNESDAY, NOV. 6
      Connect the Ks—Key Club is the largest high school service organization in the world and is a member of the Kiwanis family. Celebrate the entire family of Kiwanis by getting the whole gang involved. Connect with local Kiwanis, Circle K International, Builders, Kiwanis Kids or Aktion clubs and team up for a joint service project.

      THURSDAY, NOV. 7
      Bring a friend to Key Club—More members = more service. Increasing the amount of service Key Club performs increases the impact Key Club has on the world. Bring a friend, or two, or more to your next Key Club meeting. Download
      recruitment resources.

      FRIDAY, NOV. 8
      Your way—This is your club’s chance to do its own thing and make its mark. Pick a project, plan a recruitment party or combine activities from the other Key Club Week days. Whatever idea you choose, take it and run with it.

      Use these additional resources to increase the K during this special week in November.

      October 17, 2013

      The Kiwanis Club of Greater Waterbury (CT) will hold their street sale of Peanuts. Location and times to be announced shortly.

      October 20, 2013

      Kiwanis Autumn Express, North Conway, NH

      Join the Mount Washington Valley Kiwanis Club on a scenic tour of the October foliage in the White Mountains of New Hampshire! The train departs from the Conway Scenic Railroad at 11:00 a.m. and returns at approximately 4:00 p.m. Coach tickets are only $50 and include a complimentary souvenir photo, appetizers, and dessert.

      Don't miss this beautiful ride and the perfect opportunity for an interclub! (Get a good heads up on the area before Fall Trainer, too!)

      For more information visit: http://conwayscenic.com/events/event/autumn-express/ or contact MWV Kiwanian Abby O'Haire by e-mail: abby.ohaire@... or by phone: (603) 726-0595.

      October 25-27, 2013

      KEY LEADER - In New England, there is only one conference offered in 2013! It takes place at Camp Calumet on Lake Ossipee in Freedom, New Hampshire on October 25-27, 2013. Students (ages 14-18) can learn more about the conference and register on-line at www.key-leader.org.

      Space is limited and we encourage students to sign-up as soon as possible!!
      Please spread the word!

      October 26, 2013

      Good afternoon All:

      Div. 17 will be offering CLE (Club Leadership Education) for all incoming Presidents & Secretaries at the Middleboro Public Library on Sat. 10/26 from 10 AM to as late as 2:30 PM if needed. Any Kiwanis member who is interested can RSVP and attend, it's open to all, President Elect, VPs, Treasurers, Club Board Members, etc. Please look below and also see the attached CLE Flyer for all the details. You won't find better or more complete training in the NE&BDK (New England & Bermuda District of Kiwanis) this Kiwanis year of 2013-14. If you were unable to take CLE at DCON or can't make the Fall Conference in N. Conway, NH 11/22-24 for CLE training there, you're welcome here.

      We're most fortunate to have Foster Crawford our NE&BDK “Master CLE Trainer” come up from Danbury, CT to present the CLE training for club Presidents. Bill Jenkins our own District Secretary will present the CLE training for club Secretaries. This will be the complete course with all the latest information, if you're new in your position you need this, even if you're experienced you'll learn from it. If you attend you'll benefit yourself, your club and the children we serve, it'll be worthwhile. I myself as LtG for Div. 17 plan to take the CLE training for Secretaries to help me in my role as LtG and as a club president in the Middleboro Kiwanis Club.

      Kiwanis CLE  -  Club Leadership Education
      (KIWANIANS FROM ALL DIVISIONS ARE WELCOME BUT MUST RSVP ASAP!!)
      For Presidents/President Elect, Secretaries,
      Board of Directors & all Kiwanis Members!

      Saturday – Oct. 26TH, 2013
      9:30 AM Welcome – 10 AM Start
      Middleboro Public Library
      102 North Main St.
      Middleboro, MA 02346
      Tel: 508-946-2470 * www.midlib.org

      Park in the dirt lot across the street from the library’s side door entrance, at the corner of Pierce & N. Main Sts, Kiwanis signs will be posted on the entrance door, inside go left and downstairs to the Children’s Library!
      CLE Training Program Agenda:

      9:30 – 10:00 AM   Welcome/Light Breakfast
      10:00 - Noon Training (2 separate programs Pres. or Sec.)
      Noon -12:30 PM Lunch Break
      12:30-2:30 Complete CLE – (We’ll finish early if possible!)
      Presidents: Establish a club vision & build a strong team!
          Lead effective meetings & grow your club!
      Secretaries: Reporting requirements & communication tools!
      Recording responsibilities & online train ing!
      Directors: Effective Management & steering the course!
      Members:   Get involved & make your voice heard!
      *Register via email with Bob Kinney – Lt. Gov. Div. 17 at: bobkinney55@...
      Call: 508-947-4495 Home Office, or need help Sat. AM call my Cell: 508-243-0393.

      I kindly ask attendees or their clubs to pay $20 per person or at least contribute what you’re able to help cover expenses of food and materials provided. We’re having a local Community Kitchen  “All are Welcome” (www.allarewelcome.us) provide the light breakfast & lunch for this event. They help people in my town have a healthy lunch and pay whatever they can afford if anything at all. Our MHS Key Club will be volunteering at the AAW Community Kitchen on Sat. 10/26 and will deliver our food. We’ll make a contribution to AAW to help them in their mission to provide meals to the needy, your paid meal will help give another person who can’t afford it a FREE meal.

      *We need to know how many will be in attendance for training materials and lunch!
      **Bring your CLE President Workbook or “Club Secretary Resources” materials that you or your Lt. Gov. got at DCON**
       Please call or email with any questions then confirm your CLE Training choice: President or Secretary, and register with your Name, Title & contact info (phone & email) ASAP. Thanks!

      November 1-2, 2013

      Join the Kiwanis Club of Meriden (CT) for the 62nd annual Kiwanis Kapers show. This year's theme is "Kiwanis Kapers Goes to Camp!"

      Friday, Nov. 1 & Saturday, Nov. 2 @ 7:00 pm
      Lincoln Middle School Auditorium
      164 Centennial Ave ~ Meriden
      Tickets: Adults: $15.00, Children under 12: $5.00

      Tickets are available from any Meriden Kiwanian and at Hancock’s Pharmacy (840 East Main St., Meriden)

      For more info., call 203-530-2095, or visit <meridenkiwanis.org>.

      • $250 grand prize community talent winners will be selected by the audience each evening!

      November 4-8, 2013

[...]

      Key Club Week ads
      Membership recruitment guide
      Middle school orientation guide
      Public relations 101

      November 8, 2013

      Dear Kiwanians, August, 2013

      Just over six months ago evil stuck. As promised, we are now embarking on a long- term plan to make a difference. Together with Kiwanis International, we are founding a new youth outreach program. We are building on the strength of the past, modifying and refining it. On November 8, 2013, we will launch the first ever “Kiwanis Key Leader Forum”.  With support from the Western Connecticut State University and its Alumni Association along with other partners, we are inviting student leaders from ten of the area high schools, including Newtown High, to participate in this program that is designed to make a difference by harnessing and giving direction to the awesome power of high school student leaders.
      It is the goal of the Forum and the subsequent follow-up sessions at each high school, to provide leadership training and direction to students.  The student leaders will be charged with returning to their schools with plans they have devised during the forum to make their school a healthier, kinder and more civil environment. We hope to make this an annual event with each year building on the growth of the year before.

      We already have interest in replicating the Kiwanis Key Leader Forum in Westfield Massachusetts. With Kiwanis International’s help, our hope is that this effort will grow nationally and worldwide to make a positive difference in school environments everywhere.  We honor the memory of those who died at Sandy Hook Elementary School by motivating and facilitating students to make a real difference within their community.

      We need your support. We are reaching out to Kiwanians for donations.  Your donations will provide resources to not only launch this initiative, but to continue as a leader in making a difference. We hope you recognize that this sound approach will be beneficial to the children and one that you will support. We need your donations today to help our kids tomorrow.  Please send your donations to:

      Kiwanis Foundation of Greater Danbury, Inc.
      PO Box 372
      Danbury, CT 06813-0372
      Please write Forum in the memo line and your donation will be earmarked accordingly.

      Yours in serving the children,

      Kiwanis Club Foundation of Greater Danbury, Inc. - a 501 (c ) (3) charity

      November 9, 2013

      OFFICIAL VISIT OF THE NEW ENGLAND & BERMUDA

      DISTRICT OF KIWANIS

      Governor George Delisle 2013-14 to:

      Divisions 13, 17, 18, and 19

      **Bring your Kiwanis Club Banners & stands**

      Saturday, November 9, 2013

      Hosted by: The Kiwanis Club of Middleboro

      Lorenzo’s Italian Restaurant - 500 West Grove St.  (Rte. 28)

      Middleboro, MA 02346

      Meet & Greet - Social hour: 5

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)
    • Show all 290 messages in this topic