Empty Sky - Connie Pederson

  • kc8ksu
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2011

          One of OSEK's originating members, who we called Madame President For Life, Connie Pederson, passed away shortly before Thanksgiving.  She pulled the club together at a point in time - 1980 -  when no one wanted to step into the job, and did it for 15 years.  Connie took us to places most kite fliers wouldn't dream of going - if someone wanted to "Color Up the Sky" and pay the club to do it, we did it. She had a friend who asked how his organization could raise money for a chair lift for a van, and the Cleveland Kite Festival was born. That was back when Cleveland owned Edgewater Park and allowed raffles.  Connie last attended CKF in 2009 for a day. She was in an Assisted Living Facility in Warrensville Heights due to declining health, but a closet of kites was there, too, and she flew them on the lawn.

          Next September we will honor Connie's memory  at CKF.

      http://obits.cleveland.com/obituaries/cleveland/obituary.aspx?n=constance-pederson-holowenko&pid=154727897