OSEK April Free Fly

  • KKilgoar
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2010
      Many Cleveland area folks obviously enjoyed Easter Sunday at Edgewater. When we arrived there on our regular second Sunday Free Fly day, we counted seven kites stuck in trees (and Easter bunny grass stuck on top of the green stuff). Many area folks also think of Edgewater as Where To Fly Kites. Maybe telling so many kids at workshops and School Days events that it's a great place to do it is actually getting the message across! Every family and group emerging from cars held picnics and kites as they made their way to tables to set up for a chilly but decent Sunday in the park. We may try to teach kids not to run with their kites, but when there's little to no wind, hearing the laughter that goes along with running with a kite dancing in the sky 40 feet behind a child is quite nice. Not many OSEK folks attended (maybe the rest of you were at Air Waves). Winds were teasing and light, but no drips descended from the sky as we tried to fly something. Bob Lockhart's lovely old blue and white delta did it best. Harry Gregory had his Pirate Rokkaku up for a few minutes, as did Betty Terepka with her Rok. Craig Lovejoy even had problems with keeping stuff aloft. Sara Torok, Frank Terpka and Harry had problems even with light wind sport kites, and nothing at all was there to support a fighter kite.
      Five of the workshop banners flew from poles along with a club banner. When he took the big pole down, Harry fished one tree-caught kite out. It's rather a nice kite! Spiderman will fly again in some child's hands somewhere. No attempts were made to get any others out of the trees. Edgewater's trees are getting taller!
      It was refreshing to leave yard work and other jobs behind and shake out the winter blahs awhile before the long schedule of Events begins. Next up - Medina Earth Day, then Youngstown/Canfield, then May's activities.
      One to remember when we go to any state parks this season - take along a rubbish bag to remove all trash you make! There were no barrels at Edgewater! And add a tip from Sara - put a roll of bathroom tissue in the car, too. Fewer maintenance people working means fewer amenities in the rest rooms.
      Nancy