New Years Day Fly

  • Terry Gerweck
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2009
      In resolute Swamp tradition, we welcomed in the New Year in flying
      style on
      the beach at Maumee Bay State Park.

      Four intrepid members of the BSAF (Kevin K, Uncle Wilbert, Tim
      Haupricht,
      and myself) ventured out to the Bay to start off the year right, flying
      kites...er....rather flying "A" kite. One of us put up a kite and the
      rest
      of the members took turns holding my kite line for a minute so we all
      could
      say we flew a kite.

      In holding with the annual tradition the "weinie bar" and the
      campfire were
      both present. (nothing at all like eating hotdogs and standing around
      the
      campfire on a January day)

      While we may have shown great intesinal fortitude to bring in the New
      Year
      flying a kite, it was nothing compared to the four kids down the
      beach that
      came in on bicycles, stripped down to swim attire and took a (VERY)
      quick
      plunge into Lake Erie. In their defense they made a equally quick
      dash back
      up the beach to a waiting automobile to thaw out their niblets.

      We did note while standing around our campfire that not too many flying
      seasons ago we seemed to derive a greater sense of enjoyment out of
      spending
      the day playing and flying in the snow. Wonder what happened?

      Terry "Gizmo" Gerweck
    • carl anderson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2009
        I also flew at the beach New Years day. I attached a picture of some of the other fliers, Sunset Fiers at Treasure Island Fl. . The wind was coming out of the east which coming over the building make it kind of squirrely. Temps, were in the high 60-low 70s. The other attachment is for Harry. I took a pic of the upcomming weather. In the lower left hand corner is the time and temp. That is 10:59 pm. There are a lot of places to rent down here.

        Carl Anderson
        aka GUMBY
        Northwest Ohio
        Fighter Kites and Good Winds
        WANNA FIGHT
         AKA NFKA  MWFK OSEK
        BANDANA GANG

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2009
          Hello,
          I too, flew my kite on New Years Day. Myself and Kyle Hoyt both Back 2 the Wind club members flew our Widow Makers at Richland Township Park, MI from noon til around 3:30.  It was cold but a lot of fun.  Wow, did I need to fly a kite for awhile.  I was suffering from withdrawl.
          Happy New Year to everyone,
          Dave Bush
          RD5

          David Bush