Saturday it's Youngstown Kite Festival day!

  • Ohio Society for the Elevation of Kites C
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2008
      Once again ( it's every other year), OSEK and Fly Pittsburgh folks
      will converge at the Mill Creek MetroPark Experimental Farm ( directly
      across the road from the Mahoning County Fairgrounds, check your own
      map. That's on Columbiana-Canfield Road) for a day of flyin', fun and
      frolic. Local folks come out in droves, even when it rains. Hours are
      from 11 to 3, but get there early for a good parking spot. A
      "professionals" field will be staked out so the "citizens" know where
      not to fly. A big speaker system is usually there, and they'll play any
      stuff you need to do a ballet performance. Kids can make kites and do
      wind sprints. Older folks compete in the zaniest type competitions you
      ever heard of. For Handcrafted Kites, judging will be for the Largest
      and Smallest kites, with the very best one made being dubbed Best of
      Show. For Manufactured Kites, there will be Highest Flying ( we ask how
      much string you brought with you), Longest Tail ( one you add to the
      bought kite or one that came with it), and ta da! a competition for
      Novice Class Sport Kiters. Simple figures.
      Truth is, we could use a couple of Judges to help with these things.
      Obviously, 3 contests require a knowledge of how to read a measuring
      tape. One is an eyeballing of what kite looks like it's way up there,
      and how much string does the kid have left. I usually get stuck with
      actually looking over the hand made kites and marking figures for
      neatness and such for the Best of Show award, but I wouldn't mind some
      help, in case more than six people come along and enter. We usually can
      con a couple sport kiters into judging the Novice event. Maybe you'll be
      one of them. As I recall, I think there were 2 competitors last time.
      Plenty of time for helping and flying. Oh, and there's a designated area
      for the Big Kites, too.
      They serve FOOD in a nice building with indoor plumbing. Wind and
      time willing, we'll end the day with a free for all Rokkaku Battle, so
      bring yours. And bring some wind, but not too much. Thank you.
      Nancy Lockwood, Corr. Sec. for OSEK