Convention News

  • Kevin Kilgoar
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2007
      I got this today from the AKA, I'm not sure how many of you did so I though I would pass
      it along. I personally wouldn't mind going to Gettysburg.

      Greetings AKA Members and Affiliated Clubs.

      As you may have heard, at our next AKA Board of Directors meeting we will be voting on
      the site for the 2008 AKA convention. In 2008 the convention will be held in the Eastern
      part of the US. The choices are:

      Clearwater, Florida
      Panama Beach, Florida
      Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
      Ocean City, Maryland

      I have heard from some members as to a preference for one spot over another, but I have
      not heard from too many of you. Please write and let me know what you think would be
      the best site for the 2008 convention.

      Naturally, being in Region 2 and having done a lot of the preliminary scouting work for the
      site, I am very familiar with Gettysburg. I could answer any questions you might have
      about the setup there. The basics are that the hotel has everything needed for all
      convention activities, including an indoor fly, fly market, banquets, workshops, etc. The
      flying fields are across the road and are adequate for at least five 350 foot square fields.

      Many of you are familiar with the setup at Ocean City, where we usually go to several
      hotels, fly on the beach, and travel to the Convention center via bus or car for workshops,
      banquets, etc. This would also be the case at the two sites in Florida, although there might
      be additional travel from the hotel to the beach. I really don't know too much more about
      them. I hear that some additional data will be forthcoming.

      Prices for all of the sites are still being negotiated, so perhaps they should all be treated as
      equal to each other for the purposes of this email.

      Some people say that they wish to go to new sites each time, while others prefer to go to a
      place they are familiar with. Some want a lot of additional activities to do at a site for
      themselves or their families, while some just want to fly their kites and nothing else. Some
      want only ocean breezes in which to fly, while others see inland flying as no problem at all.

      I am really interested in your opinions and am asking for you to write back and tell me
      what you think so that I might have more information on which to base my decision.

      Thanks!

      Todd Little
      AKA Region 2 Director
      AKA Club Liaison
    • Gary Engvall
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2007
        There is a very interesting thread on the AKA Forum where Convention
        locations are being discussed.

        On the AKA web site, click on 'Kite Talk Forum'. You will need to
        Register on the Forum if you haven't already.

        Once on the Forum, down in the 'AKA Members Only' section, click on
        'Annual Convention'. In there, click on the '2008 on the East Coast'
        thread. It has little flames leaping up on its Folder icon because there
        are a lot of people posting to it.

        good heavens;
        gary engvall <http://members.cox.net/gengvall/>
        Kite Events Calendar <http://members.cox.net/kiter/clndr.shtml>
        Come to the HAMMONASSET Kite Festival
        <http://members.cox.net/kiter/hkf/hamm.html>
        Saturday, May 19 & 20, 2007.
        Hammonasset Beach State Park, Madison, CT.