Kitchen Crafts 'n' More - Issue #67

  • kitchencraftsnmore
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2002
      Kitchen Crafts n' More
      Issue #67
      July 20, 2002

      ================================
      ***Better Safe than Sorry***
      Before trying any new beauty recipe please check for sensitivity by
      conducting a skin patch test. Put a small amount on a sensitive area
      that is out of sight. Leave on for the time you intend to leave the
      product on, unless you experience itching in which case remove
      immediately. Then monitor the region over the next 2 to 3 days,
      checking for a reaction. If in doubt, consult your physician before
      doing the skin test, particularly if you know that you are more than
      usually suceptible to allergic reactions.
      ================================

      Look What People Are Saying About minutemeals.com!
      "Just wanted you to know I just subscribed to your newsletter -
      something I NEVER EVER do!!! I LOVE your minutemeals cookbook and am
      buying just a bunch more for my family and friends! I love that you
      do the thinking for me! THANK YOU!!!"
      It's Free, It's Easy, It's Fast!
      http://www.minutemeals.com

      (0)

      ------------------

      Help Feed Hungry Animals - No Cost To You
      Over ten million animals are abused, neglected or abandoned yearly.
      Over 27,000 defenseless animals are being harmed or dying every day!
      Visit the Animal Rescue site to help them get a bowl of food - no
      cost to you...

      http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/home)

      ------------------

      Let a team of moms help you build a business using products that
      everyone buys, uses, and has to buy again. Products such as laundry
      supplies, toothpaste, deodorant, and cleaners just to name a few.
      Save 30%, maintain the health of your family and the enviroment AND
      just by telling others, you get PAID!
      http://summer.themomteam.com
      (0)
      ------------------

      ************************
      REACH OVER 4000 CRAFT AND RECIPE LOVERS
      FOR ONLY DOLLARS A WEEK!
      E-mail Christinam@... to find
      out how to get YOUR ad here!
      ************************

      CONTENTS

      1. Reader's Questions
      2. Help from Readers
      3. Craft Recipes
      4. Traditional Recipes
      5. Around the House
      6. This Week's Joke

      ~...~A Note from Christina~...~

      Summertime is in full swing, and this issue is filled with delicious
      summer inspired dessert recipes. All are perfect for a delicious
      warm weather treat. Your family will love them!

      You'll find LOTS of reader's questions this week, so if you have an
      answer to a question please send it in to me and help out a fellow
      Kitchen Crafts 'n' More reader.

      Enjoy, and have a wonderful week!
      Christina

      *************************

      KC'n'M - The NEWSPAPER Column

      Did you know that Kitchen Crafts 'n' More is now a
      successfully syndicated newspaper column? Every week
      you'll learn one new craft idea or unusual recipe to
      try! Contact Christina at christinam@... for
      more information on getting the column in YOUR newspaper,
      magazine or website. Or, if you'd like to see this column
      in your local newspaper, please write to the editor of your
      local paper.

      *************************

      Embellish'D Paper
      Your source for quality cardstock, in quanities you can "scrap"!
      Mention this ad and receive an additional 10% Off!

      http://www.embellishedpaper.com
      (2)

      **************************

      LEARN TO MAKE EASY BATH RECIPES AT HOME !!

      600 plus bath recipes emailed, stop wasting money buying expensive
      store bought products only $1.99
      Email me at bbehnke@...

      http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=lbbay
      &completed=0&sort=3&since=-1&include=0&page=1&rows=25
      (0)

      *****************************

      FREE GOURD PROJECT! (a $20 value!)
      Learn how to make a beautiful gourd wreath with this easy-to-follow
      project sheet; includes step-by-step instructions, complete list of
      materials needed, tools list, optional materials, tips, resources,
      and more!
      Download your copy now! Go to http://www.welburngourdfarm.com
      and get this project FREE, along with 2 additional FREE Bonuses!

      ========================

      B & C Crafts features a large variety of crafts & gift items. Check
      out some of our most popular items - appliance covers (custom made),
      roll-top bread boxes, Hobby Horses, and neck coolers. All of our
      items are handcrafted - no imports or mass productions. We
      specialize in custom and personalized items. Machine embroidery now
      available.
      http://www.bccrafts.net
      (1)

      ==========================

      THIS WEEK'S RECIPE INDEX:

      ~~Craft Recipes~~
      * Bath Gel
      * Herbal Bath Salts
      * Carrot Soap from Scratch (from Sugarplum.net)

      ~~Traditional Recipes~~

      * Regional Recipe (from Baltimore, Maryland) - Chicken Divan
      * READER REQUESTED RECIPE - SUPER SOUR Lemon Pie (thanks Beverly!)
      * Strawberry Banana Ice Cream
      * Toasted Coconut Ice Cream
      * Crust Variations for Cheesecake
      * Rhubarb Cream Delight
      * Frozen Lemon Squares
      * (LO FAT) Chocolate Raspberry Mousse

      *********************

      ~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**
      READER'S QUESTIONS
      ~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**
      KCn'M readers helping each other out!
      Do you have a question you want to ask, or an answer
      to help someone out?
      Email it to Christina at christinam@...
      and we'll include it in an upcoming issue. Please
      be sure to include your first name, and your e-mail address
      if you don't mind that we use it in your question.

      STARTING A CRAFT BUSINESS
      Wendy asks:
      "Dear Christina,

      I love to crochet and want to start making and selling my crafts.
      Does anyone have a suggestion as to how much I should charge for my
      pieces of work. They range from fridgies to afghans.

      Thanks,
      Wendy"

      A DRIED PASTRY CRAFT QUESTION
      Another subscriber asks:
      "I have been wanting to find a way to put a hard clear finish on dried
      pastry's (donuts, turnovers etc) but when I try the finish soaks into
      the item and though I let it dry and between each andtry many coats
      they always end up very very fragile and the dough still is flakey,
      and sheds and deteriorates. I can't figure out how to get one that
      is thick enough to make it somewhat protected and somewhat durable to
      handling. Does anyone have any suggestions, I'd sure appreciate it."

      GRAY HAIR HELP
      Carla asks:
      "I began graying in my early 20's, and by now (age 45) am
      more gray than dark. Is there any remedy out there that
      might get rid of some of the gray -- that is safe and
      really works? I'm not necessarily interested in getting
      rid of all the gray -- just enough not to look like my
      husband's mother?!?!? I am not interested in dyeing my
      hair."

      HELP WITH STRESS PILLOWS AND JAM RECIPE REQUEST
      Carol wrote:
      "I would like to teach my beginning sewing students to make some of
      those stress pillows that were featured a few issues back. My
      question is has anyone made them using aromatic herbs or lotions with
      the rice? I want to make sure whatever goes inside can be safely
      microwaved.
      I am also looking for recipes for jam other than the standard
      strawberry and peach."

      GETTING OLD OLD FORMULA STAINS
      Mandi writes:
      "I have a bunch of baby clothes that I am trying to get the formula
      stains out of, I packed them away four years agao without any
      staining on them and now when I took them out to use for my next
      baby, they have yellow stains on them-yikes, why did this happen and
      what can I do??? Please help, these are the cutest clothes and I am
      just sick about it. Thanks in advance."

      BREAD RECIPE REQUEST AND MORE
      Beverly (who supplied the delicious pie recipe in this issue!) wrote:
      " I need a recipe for I think it is
      sourdough? bread....Yes, from scratch. I guess this is what you call
      it. Do you know when you buy frozen bread from the store and you
      freeze it and then you take it out of the freezer and let it thaw and
      when it thaws it rises and then all you have to do is bake it? well,
      I'd sure appreciate a recipe for this kind of bread..........I love
      it! and I want to make it from scratch! Is sourdough bread what
      this is called? I'm also interested in menenite(sp?) recipes as we
      all know they bake from scratch and they have excellent recipes!
      also, if someone is interested I have a yeast bread recipe that can
      be made in about an hour. its a no roll recipe and turns out VERY
      fluffy. you can also use it for drop biscuits! really easy.
      Thanks...Beverly"

      INGROWN HAIR
      Dottie asks:
      "How do you remove an ingrown hair on the male's face? It is called a
      pseudofolliculitis and the hair has grown inwards. Do not want to use
      laser,but wondered if any of your readers had even dealt with this
      type of ingrown hair before and know how to remove it other than
      laser."

      ========================

      HIS HAND ON MY SHOULDER
      A MUST READ...HIS HAND ON MY SHOULDER
      Alice's experiences with children and youth over a twenty-five year
      period. $15.00 plus $2.50 p/h send check or money order to Alice
      Hyche 9405 Indian Springs Drive Roswell, Ga 30075
      (0)
      ========================

      ~~FREE CAJUN RECIPES!~~
      From Jazzy Jambalaya, Snazzy Shrimp, Great Gumbos, to
      Perky Pralines, this site has a lot to offer you for
      free! I tried the Cajun Catfish, and UMMM GOOD!
      http://www.cajuncookingrecipes.com/

      ~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**

      HELP FROM READERS

      Our readers - over 4000 & growing daily - are the best! They're
      anxious to help out other subscribers. Thanks to all of you who take
      the time to answer questions posted from other members. Here are some
      of the helpful emails I received lately...

      :) No help this week - but with all the questions we have in this
      issue, we're sure to have plenty of helpful answers in our next issue!
      ***********************

      JUST FOR BEING A "KITCHEN CRAFTS N MORE" SUBSCRIBER!!
      Budget Stretcher is offering all kitchen crafts n more subscribers a
      50% savings on my ebook
      "Living Within Your Means - The Easy Way". This ebook is your guide
      to managing your personal finances. Learn how to make a simple, easy
      to use and maintain personal budget, manage a checking account, become
      a stay-at-home mom and much, much more. As a kitchen crafts n more
      subscriber you pay only $5 instead of the normal price of $10. Here
      is your special link: http://www.homemoneyhelp.com/ebookadpageNS.html

      ========================

      CRAFT RECIPES
      From handmilled soaps to bath oils and craft supplies,
      we've got your craft ideas right here.

      ========================
      Bath Gel (from about.com)

      1/2 cup water
      1 packet unflavored gelatin
      1/2 cup baby shampoo

      Heat the water to the boiling state and then dissolve the gelatin in
      it. Add the shampoo very slowly and stir just to combine. Pour the
      mixture into a fresh jar and allow to set in the refrigerator. Scoop
      out a little as required for the bath.

      ----------------

      Herbal Bath Salts
      2 cups sea salt
      2 cups baking soda
      1 cup oatmeal ( finely ground)
      2 tsp. of your favorite dried finely ground herb mix
      Place all together in your food processor and mix it up. Use a few
      tablespoons in warm running bath water and relax and enjoy.

      ---------------

      Carrot Soap (Found at Sugarplum.net)

      10 ounces Palm Oil
      4 ounces Coconut Oil
      2 ounces Olive Oil

      2 ounces lye
      4 ounces water

      4 ounces carrot juice

      Mix lye and water. Set aside to cool. Melt oils together, set aside
      to cool. When oils are at 110* and lye water is at 100*, gently pour
      lye into oils. Add jucie to mixture, stirring contantly. Mix until
      soap traces, pour into prepared moulds, allow to stand covered and
      out of drafts for 48 hours. Remove form moulds, cut as needed, and
      allow to age open to air, 2-3 weeks.

      -------------------------

      ~@?@~
      Quote of the Week

      "The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else
      up."
      -Mark Twain

      -------------------------

      ===================
      TRADITIONAL RECIPES
      We're always looking for more of our reader's favorite recipes!
      Please send them in at christinam@.... Lots of thanks to
      all of our wonderful contributors!
      ===================
      Thanks to Dolores for this one!

      CHICKEN DIVAN
      l pound chicken breast. cooked and diced
      2- 10oz. boxes frozen broccoli, cooked and drained
      l cup mayonnaise
      l tsp. lemon juice
      1 small can cream of chicken soup
      1 small can cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup
      l cup dried onion rings
      Mix mayonnaise, lemon juice, soups, and chicken, set aside. Place
      broccoli in a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish. Pour chicken mixture over
      broccoli. Top with onion rings. Bake at 325 degrees for about 45
      minutes. Simply delicious.

      ==============

      Beverly from Havana,Arkansas sent this in and says: "I've made this
      homemade and simple recipe a few times and it is preeeeeeeeetttyyy
      SOUR!"

      LEMON MERINGUE PIE
      1 1/2 cups sugar
      7 Tablespoons cornstarch
      1 1/2 cups water
      3 beaten egg yolks
      1 teaspoon grated lemon peel (a little more if you like)
      2 Tablespoons butter
      1/2 cup lemon juice (either hand squeezed or from a bottle)
      1 9" baked pastry shell
      3 egg whites
      1 teaspoon lemon juice
      6 Tablespoons sugar
      a dash of salt

      Mix frist 3 ingredients in a saucepan, stirring in water. Bring to a
      boil over medium heat,stirring until thick for a bout 5 minutes.
      Remove from heat; stir small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks.
      then return to hot mixture. Bring to boiling and cook 1 minute,
      stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add lemon peel and butter,
      slowly stir in 1/2 cup lemon juice. Cool to lukewarm, stirring
      frequently. Pour into cooled pastry shell.

      Beat egg whites with 1 teaspoon lemon juice to soft peaks. Gradually
      add 6 Tablespoon sugar beating until stiff peaks form. Spread over
      filling, sealing to edges for the pastry shell. Bake in oven (350
      degrees) 12 to 15 minutes. Cool before serving.

      Hope this helps. from 100% scratch and so easy to make and I
      guarantee he'll love it! Beverly McConnell.

      ================

      Tropilicious Beachin' Strawberry Banana Ice Cream

      One Banana
      Sixteen-ounce package frozen strawberries in sugar (thawed)
      Eight ounce half and half
      Eight-ounce heavy cream
      Three quarters of a cup of sugar

      Turn your freezer onto the highest settings for two days to make sure
      your ice cream canister is COLD.

      Blend the Banana, Strawberries and half-and-half in a blender. Blend
      smooth for smooth ice cream or pulse on and off, leaving a few small
      pieces for chunkier ice cream!

      Stir in the heavy cream and sugar. Chill. Pour into your ice cream
      machine and crank your heart out! When it's thick and frozen, it's
      done!

      --------------------

      Tropilicous Toasted Coconut Ice Cream

      One fifteen-ounce can of coconut milk (w/no coconut extract)
      Eight ounce Heavy Cream
      Three Quarter cup of Sugar
      One half cup of Coconut Flakes (Toast them on a sheet pan in a three
      hundred degree oven)

      Turn your freezer onto the highest setting for two days to make sure
      your ice cream canister is COLD.

      Blend the Coconut milk, heavy cream, and sugar in a bowl. Chill in the
      refrigerator. Pour into your ice cream machine and crank your heart
      out!

      As it thickens and is almost done, stir the toasted coconut flakes
      in. When it's thick and frozen, it's done!

      =================

      Crust Variations for Cheesecake

      GRAHAM CRACKER:
      30 graham cracker crumbs, finely chopped
      3 Tbsp sugar
      1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted

      CHOCOLATE CRUMB:
      1 1/2 cup chocolate wafer cookies, finely ground (24 cookies)
      3 Tbsp sugar
      1/4 cup butter or margarine

      GINGERSNAP:
      1 1/2 cup Round gingersnaps, finely ground (30 cookies)
      3 Tbsp sugar
      1/4 cup butter or margarine

      NUT CRUST:
      3 oz pecans, almonds, pistachios, hazelnuts, toasted, and finely
      ground
      3/4 cup plain or chocolate graham crackers, finely ground
      3 Tbsp sugar
      1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted

      In bowl combine all ingredients except butter. Stir in butter until
      well blended. For nut crusts, press crust in pan and bake in oven
      preheated to 325 F for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Let
      cool completely before filling with cheesecake batter.

      Cookie "Pat" Pie Crust
      This is really good with chiffon & whipped cream type fillings as
      well as strawberry filling with a glaze. You can also heat a can of
      peach, apple or cherry pie filling & thicken it with tapioca or
      cornstarch, when cool, pour into cookie crust.
      1 cup all purpose flour
      1/2 cup margarine-softened
      1/4 cup finely chopped pecan
      1/4 cup powdered sugar
      ----

      With hands, mix all ingredients to form a soft dough.
      Press firmly & evenly into bottom & sides (not on rim) of 9 inch pie
      pan. Bake 12 to 15 minutes in preheated 400º oven. Watch carefully so
      it doesn't get browned. Cool before filling with your favorite fluffy
      or unbaked filling.

      Oreo Cookie Crust

      2 c. crushed Oreo cookies
      1/2 c. melted butter
      Mix well and press into pie pan. Chill

      Shredded Wheat Crust
      '....This crust is an alternate to a graham cracker crust...I got
      this out of a low-fat cookbook and thought it was so interesting. I
      am going to try if if I can think of anything to put in it!
      2-1/4 oz shredded wheat, crushed
      2 Tbsp margarine, melted
      1/4 tsp grated orange or lemon peel
      1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
      sweetener or sugar, if desired
      -------

      Heat oven to 350°
      Mix all ingredients till crumbs are moistened
      Press crumbs onto the bottom and sides of pie plate forming a crust
      Bake 8 minutes

      -------------------

      Frozen Lemon Squares

      Celebrate summer with this cool and creamy dessert!
      Prep Time: 20 minutes
      Servings: Makes 6 to 9 servings
      IngredientsInstructions
      1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
      1/4 cup sugar
      1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted
      3 egg yolks
      1 (14-ounce) can Eagle® Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT
      EVAPORATED MILK)
      1/2 cup lemon juice from concentrate
      yellow food coloring, optional
      whipping cream, whipped or whipped topping

      Preheat oven to 325º. Combine crumbs, sugar and margarine; press
      firmly onbottom of 8 or 9-inch square pan.

      In small mixing bowl, beat egg yolks, EAGLE BRAND, lemon juice and
      food coloring if desired. Pour into prepared pan.

      Bake 30 minutes. Cool. Top with whipped cream.

      Freeze 4 hours or until firm. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
      Garnish as desired. Freeze leftovers.

      TIP: Dessert can be chilled instead of frozen.

      ----------------

      Chocolate-Raspberry Mousse

      1 pkg sugar-free raspberry gelatin (.3 oz)
      2 T unsweetened cocoa powder
      1 T 1 1/2 t granulated sugar
      1/2 c boiling water
      1 c orange juice
      2 t grated orange peel
      1 1/2 c reduced-calorie nondairy whipped topping
      1 1/2 c fresh or thawed raspberries

      In medium bowl, combine gelatin, cocoa and sugar; add boiling
      water; stir to dissolve. Stir in orange juice and peel.
      Refrigerate 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture
      mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon. With electric mixer,
      beat gelatin mixture 3 minutes. Gently fold in whipped topping.
      Divide evenly among eight dessert cups. Refrigerate at least 2
      hours, or until firm. Garnish with raspberries. Makes 8 servings.

      Nutritional information: 66 calories, 2 g fat, 1 g protein,
      12 g carbohydrates, no cholesterol, 30 mg sodium.
      1 pt

      **********************************

      AROUND THE HOUSE
      Tips and Hints to Simplify Your Daily Life

      **********************************

      GARLIC SMELL BE GONE!
      Get rid of stinky onion and garlic hands after cooking with these
      favorites! Rub your hands in cold water against a stainless steel
      spoon and voila - odor be gone!

      **********************************

      ________________THIS WEEK'S JOKE___________________

      Do you have a cute and clean joke to share? Send it in to
      christinam@....

      Here's a really cute joke from Susan, our regular joke woman around
      here! When you're really NOT feeling like doing housework, read this
      list and feel better. :) Yes, yes, we all hate housework (although
      it's necessary) and this is funny tongue-in-cheek stuff that will
      make you giggle.

      EXCUSES FOR NOT DOING HOUSEWORK

      Vacuuming too often weakens the carpet fibers. Say this with a
      serious face, and shudder delicately whenever anyone mentions Carpet
      Fresh.

      Dust bunnies cannot evolve into dust rhinos when disturbed. Rename
      the area under the couch "The Galapagos Islands" and claim an
      ecological exemption.

      Layers of dirty film on windows and screens provide a helpful filter
      against harmful and aging rays from the sun. Call it an SPF factor of
      5 and leave it alone.

      Cobwebs, artfully draped over lampshades, will reduce the glare from
      the bulb, thereby creating a romantic atmosphere. If your husband
      points out that the light fixtures need dusting, simply look
      affronted and exclaim, "What? And spoil the mood?"

      "Watching the dust floating through the air is my hobby. I count each
      piece and name them."

      In a pinch, you can always claim that the haphazard tower of unread
      magazines and newspapers next to your chair provides the valuable
      Feng Shui aspect of a tiger, thereby reducing your vulnerability.
      Roll your eyes when you say this.

      Explain the mound of pet hair brushed up against the doorways by
      claiming you are collecting it there to use for stuffing hand sewn
      play animals for underprivileged children.

      If unexpected company is coming, pile everything unsightly into one
      room and close the door. As you show your guests through your tidy
      home, rattle the door knob vigorously, fake a growl and say, "I'd
      love for you to see our den, but Fluffy hates to be disturbed and the
      shots are SO expensive!"

      If dusting is REALLY out of control, simply place a showy urn on the
      coffee table and insist that; "THIS is where Grandma wanted us to
      scatter her ashes..."

      Don't bother repainting. Simply scribble lightly over a dirty wall
      with an assortment of crayons, and try to muster a glint of tears as
      you say, "Junior did this the week before that unspeakable
      accident... I haven't had the heart to clean it..."

      Mix one-quarter cup pine-scented household cleaner with four cups of
      water in a spray bottle. Mist the air lightly. Leave dampened rags in
      conspicuous locations. Develop an exhausted look; throw yourself onto
      the couch, and sigh, "I clean and I clean and I still don't get
      anywhere"

      --THANKS FOR READING THIS ISSUE -- THANKS FOR READING THIS ISSUE --
      Thanks for reading this edition of Kitchen Crafts n' More!