Re: [KingstonPaddlePals] Collinsville & Cold Water Boot Camp Video

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28 4:21 PM
      Hi Art,

      I'm considering going...but I have a couple of conflicts to clear up.  If I can rearrange things, would you be interested in car pooling (sharing gas $, using my garmin)?

      The first Collinsville presentation re: the Cold Water Boot Camp Video is available at:
      http://www.paddlinginstructor.com/blog/88888922/1584-cold-water-boot-camp-video.html
      and on youtube:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1xohI3B4Uc&feature=player_embedded

      This is a very informative 10 minute video.

      Last week during our "warm spell", I considered going down to Freer beach and testing my two piece "semi-dry" suit and neoprene in cold water but I didn't get around to it.  Each year I go out earlier and earlier: last year I did the Great Swamp in April and felt faint... I became so over-heated in my cold water gear...and I go attacked by a mother goose! It's just so hard to stay off the water when the main sight I see out my windows is the Hudson calling to me "come out and play", but so far I've resisted.

      When ever I think about buying a full dry suit, I remember a woman I met at a meet-up telling a sad tale about purchasing a top of the line $1000+ magenta gore-tex dry suit and panicking when the zipper got stuck, so in desperation she cut herself out of the new dry suit in order to pee.  I needed Marshal's help just to get myself zipped in the one time I tried on a full dry suit, and then I thought I was going to choke the neck gasket was so tight. I've really got to test my 2 piece "semi-dry" suit in cold water!

       I'd consider paddling places now like the great Uyl where it is possible to stand up, or Esopus Bend/Beach where it is easy to go ashore if someone else was interested and the water is relatively free of ice ...and I half expect someone from Riverview Condos to call me out onto the Freer Beach shallows some day soon.  That's the long way of saying: "I've been thinking about it, but haven't paddled...yet" and I probably need the Collinville "Paddle University"

      Diane

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
        quick note: when you purchase a dry suit, yo should have been fitted meaning make the neck hole bigger, if needed, etc.
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
          thanks.  Turning to an issue that may be impolite to discuss since I've never seen it anywhere:...but being a woman, actually my biggest concern with full dry suits is "relief zippers and funnels" or the "drop seat".  They just don't really seem like a good options...like what exactly are we expected to do for base and insulation layers....cut slots??? and if we need to peel off layers...park restrooms tend to be locked up in cold weather and leaves to hide behind have fallen. I expect one of these days my desire to paddle in cold weather will probably override my sense of modesty and fear of getting trapped in a full dry suit with zipper, or I could get a bib to go with my dry top...but with a bib there still is the difficult "relief" issue.  Male paddlers have it so much easier!

          But that having been said...I'm still eyeing the $500 Sholquist dry suits with neoprene neck gaskets, or used gore tex dry suits or bibs...so maybe one of these days.

          quick note: when you purchase a dry suit, yo should have been fitted meaning make the neck hole bigger, if needed, etc.

        • waltgorgas@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2010
            My I suggest skiing in the winter?