November 2009: Winter Pool Sessions; Other winter group activities

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2009
      Sun Dec 13; 10-1 Marshal and Dorothy at the River Connection begin their indoor pool kayak sessions at the Culinary Institute in Hyde Park.  Cost is $60. The River Connections' Pool sessions continue through March.

      Rich Macha at Adirondack Paddle'n'Pole near Albany offer KAYAK ROLLING & RESCUES in the pool March-May.

      NEW YEARS DAY PADDLE & BRUNCH JANUARY 1, 2010. 10:00 am. Start your year off right at Empire Kayaks NYC Arrive at 11:00am and launch at 11:30. A brisk paddle out on the bay, then back for a sumptuous brunch at Empire. Seals may be spotted.  Kayak Rental & Brunch $35.00. Own Kayak $15.00 Call to reserve 516 889 8300.

      One of the free groups either out of Malden or Catskill (I can't remember which) also does a New Year's Day  Paddle.

      Here are a few of the non-kayaking local activities that I switch to during colder months:

      The Forsyth Nature Center and Scenic Hudson that offer kayaking during warm months offer free guided group hikes (snowshoe if enought snow) during winter months.  The Forsyth Center Hikes are the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month and meet 8:30 am at the Nature Center off the Kingston Traffic Circle.  The Forsyth Nature Center Group then travels by van to reach hike/snowshoe locations and they supply snowshoes.  Scenic Hudson hikes (snowshoe) are the 1st and 3rd Thrusday of the month and meet at the location specified on their website with your own snow shoes.

      Free exercise/dance classes are offered M, W, & F 9:30 at the Kingston Mid-town Center on Broadway throughout the year.

      Ice skating and rentals are available at the Kiwanis Ice Arena in Saugerties, and the Civic Center in POK.  On Tuesdays and Wedsnesdays, seniors skate at the Saugerties rink 10:15-1:30 for $4.

      So...Keep active and enjoy the holidays,
      Diane

      PS On Halloween, I checked out the walkway being built along the Kingston (North) side of the Rondout extending from the marina west of the suspension bridge to the Obsolete Fleet....that's going to be really nice. I've been really impressed by the changes made along the Rondout this year.  Such a nice switch from the junk yards!

    • Barb Stemke