Re: [KingstonPaddlePals] Castle pics and discussion of forecasting river conditions [2 Attachments

  • waltgorgas@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 22, 2009

      Diane,

      Tides are easy.  typing "Hudson River Tides" into Google will get you there in as much detail as you want.

      The Columbia site also gives some currents at Haverstraw and The Narrows Midchannel.  Current has a couple aspects.
      There is a downstream component of a river.  Tidal flow adds to or subtracts from that flow.  The effects are quite noticeable on the lower Rondout.  Also, current tends to flow from the larger body of water to the smaller.  For example, if two lakes are connected, the tide will effect the larger lake first.  Also, as we have seen, if the flow is restricted as it is at Rotary Park,  the current can be nasty as it flows under the bridge.  And lastly, but not leastly, the current changes in the center of the river first.  Therefore, the current can be going one way in the center and another at the shore.   .

      From: Rick Loggia <rickloggia@yahoo. com>
      Subject: Re: [KingstonPaddlePals ] Castle launch changed to Cold Springs noon Monday
      To: KingstonPaddlePals@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, September 21, 2009, 10:30 AM

      I guess where my over-reaction stems from is that Tides and Currents are two different occurences. Though you and Walt may know the difference, new kayakers may decide to look up Tides in their local papers to determine when the best time to try a solo paddle on the river.
      As an example, today at the Newburgh Bridge, Low Tide is at 8:37am but the Current will continue to ebb until 10:16.
      As you know, tides tell the height, currents tell the speed.
      Tides are important if one wants to paddle under a low bridge (Constitution Marsh)
      Currents will help speed the paddler along with less fatigue after a long trip.
      Please help new or seasoned paddlers understand this impotant difference.

      From: Rick Loggia <rickloggia@yahoo. com>
      To: KingstonPaddlePals@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Sunday, September 20, 2009, 7:56 PM

      possibly getting parking tickets !!!!!!!!!!!! that sounds like fun. plus a return from Bannermans against a 1.3 knot current !

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 22, 2009
        Diane and Walt,

        This is the site most locals use. scroll down it to find nearest location you want and then the date you'll need it for.

        Unfortunately, I haven't found a site that always accurately predicts wind. (because there isn't one !!)
        I was paddling and playing in the wind around Plum Point and Storm King Mt. yesterday and saw you guys (I believe it was you - 4 or 5 boats) hugging the shore, heading south.
        I also was surprised by the stronger winds than were predicted.
        I had a late start to the day and launch time, so did not have time to catch up to you all.
        Perhaps another time.
        Rick