Re: [KingstonPaddlePals] Can anyone tell me anything about the Esopus river from the launch site just off Albany Ave.?

  • Cal Johnson
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 26, 2009
      An update to my reply to this email on Friday.  Since I didn't launch from there last year, I decided to check it out on Saturday, to try to escape some of the heat (93° when I finished at 2:30).  Went upstream until I came to a major log jam at 1.9 miles.  It is really massive, with some trees around 30" in diameter.  If it wasn't so big, I'd take saw there and clear it out, but even my chainsaw couldn't handle the big trees.  So, I went back past the launch site and paddled 3 miles downstream to the Leggs Mills bridge.  There is a long rock "island" just before the bridge, which provides a good place to get out & stretch the legs, and also prevents getting sucked into the rapids under the bridge.  I paddled a total of 10 miles, but if anyone isn't up for that distance, I recommend going downstream and back for 6 miles.

      From: noreply@google. com <noreply@google. com>
      Subject: ddintruff@yahoo. com sent this to you using Google Maps: A Google Maps link
      To: ddintruff@yahoo. com
      Date: Friday, April 24, 2009, 8:34 PM