Can anyone tell me anything about the Esopus river from the launch site just off Albany Ave.?

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24 5:51 PM
      I just heard about a launch site onto the Esopus Creek just off Albany Avenue (turn onto Esopus Avenue by the Subway shop, right onto Orlando, and right onto Buckley.  Launch is by the baseball field.  (click on forwarded link to view...hopefully)  Can anyone tell me anything about what it is like to paddle there...is it clear or fallen trees...how far can one go on it?

      I just learned how to make personalized google maps which will be a very cool way to communicate launch site directions. but I'm having some trouble making it work....it doesn't seem to let me "copy/paste" the link, but I'm hoping I can forward a personalized map...so would someone click on this forwarded link and let me know whether you can view it?  Thanks, Diane

        Hi, Diane!  I have no idea what it is like to paddle there but your link worked for me.

        I just heard about a launch site onto the Esopus Creek just off Albany Avenue (turn onto Esopus Avenue by the Subway shop, right onto Orlando, and right onto Buckley.  Launch is by the baseball field.  (click on forwarded link to view...hopefully)  Can anyone tell me anything about what it is like to paddle there...is it clear or fallen trees...how far can one go on it?

        I just learned how to make personalized google maps which will be a very cool way to communicate launch site directions. but I'm having some trouble making it work....it doesn't seem to let me "copy/paste" the link, but I'm hoping I can forward a personalized map...so would someone click on this forwarded link and let me know whether you can view it?  Thanks, Diane

          We paddled from there a couple of years ago. It was a muddy launch but otherwise fine, no fallen trees at the time. We paddled upstream. You can go down as well, not sure how far.

          --- In KingstonPaddlePals@yahoogroups.com, Diane Dintruff <ddintruff@...> wrote:

          > I just heard about a launch site onto the Esopus Creek just off Albany Avenue (turn onto Esopus Avenue by the Subway shop, right onto Orlando, and right onto Buckley.  Launch is by the baseball field.  (click on forwarded link to view...hopefully)  Can anyone tell me anything about what it is like to paddle there...is it clear or fallen trees...how far can one go on it?
          >
          > I just learned how to make personalized google maps which will be a very cool way to communicate launch site directions. but I'm having some trouble making it work....it doesn't seem to let me "copy/paste" the link, but I'm hoping I can forward a personalized map...so would someone click on this forwarded link and let me know whether you can view it?  Thanks, Diane

        • Cal Johnson
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 25 4:46 AM
            I've launched from there quite a few times.  Drive just past the ball field and you'll see a dirt ramp going down to the Esopus.  You can easily back down there a ways to unload your boat, just check how far you can go down without getting stuck first.  It can be quite muddy down close to the creek - bring clean shoes to change into after loading your boat.  During normal to low water level it is easy paddling, with slow current, kind of like the Wallkill by New Paltz.  At high water it can become quite exciting, with a lot of vigorous paddling required.

             You can paddle down stream about 3 miles before hitting strong rapids at the Leggs Mills bridge in Lake Katrine.  I've always turned agound there and went back.  At low water I have hit some very shallow spots, dragging bottom occasionally.  At high water it was very difficult paddling back upstream where the Sawkill Creek enters the Esopus Creek.  It took me quite a few minutes to get past the double currents, using the rudder to keep tracking up the Esopus.

            Going upstream, at normal water level, it's about 3 miles to the Washington Ave. bridge in Kingston.  I have encountered downed trees in this section at times.  Very high water seems to clear them eventually.  It gets very shallow behind Kingston Plaza - sometimes impassable.   At high water I've paddled about 2 miles further to a little past the Rt. 209 bridge, where there are very strong rapids.  It would take me about 1.5 hours to get to Rt. 209, in the strong current, and less than 30 minutes to go back.  It wasn't whitewater, but took some strong paddling to get around trees in narrow spots.  Large tree areas flood during very high water, allowing paddling through the woods.

            I just heard about a launch site onto the Esopus Creek just off Albany Avenue (turn onto Esopus Avenue by the Subway shop, right onto Orlando, and right onto Buckley.  Launch is by the baseball field.  (click on forwarded link to view...hopefully)  Can anyone tell me anything about what it is like to paddle there...is it clear or fallen trees...how far can one go on it?

            I just learned how to make personalized google maps which will be a very cool way to communicate launch site directions. but I'm having some trouble making it work....it doesn't seem to let me "copy/paste" the link, but I'm hoping I can forward a personalized map...so would someone click on this forwarded link and let me know whether you can view it?  Thanks, Diane

              An update to my reply to this email on Friday.  Since I didn't launch from there last year, I decided to check it out on Saturday, to try to escape some of the heat (93° when I finished at 2:30).  Went upstream until I came to a major log jam at 1.9 miles.  It is really massive, with some trees around 30" in diameter.  If it wasn't so big, I'd take saw there and clear it out, but even my chainsaw couldn't handle the big trees.  So, I went back past the launch site and paddled 3 miles downstream to the Leggs Mills bridge.  There is a long rock "island" just before the bridge, which provides a good place to get out & stretch the legs, and also prevents getting sucked into the rapids under the bridge.  I paddled a total of 10 miles, but if anyone isn't up for that distance, I recommend going downstream and back for 6 miles.