April 2009 Sample Group Paddles; KPP Plans for the 2009 Paddling Season; Seal/Kayak Videos

  • ddintruff@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2009
      April 2009 Sample group paddles:

      • Sat 4/4/09 35th Annual Cameron County Canoe & Kayak Classic at Emporium, Pa
      • Sun 4/5/09 Newburg Meet-up group Walkill Paddle out of New Paltz at noon ((join FREE Newburg Area Kayakers meet-up group (meetup.com) to formally participate in the group paddle. A $1 meet-up fee will be charged for those who register; $2 for those who just show up))
      • Sun 4/5/09 Farmington River White Water Slalom at Burlington, Ct.
      • Sat 4/11/09  ADK paddle from White Memorial Conservation Center into Bantam Lake ( Conn. ¢s Lichfield County ).  Contact russoutdoors@... (note: ADK encourages membership after two trips; contact leader if you don¢t own a boat; beginners welcome)
      •  Sat 4/18/09 at 10 am KingstonPaddlePals & NaugatuckValleyOutdoorsClub "Great Swamp Paddle" out of Patterson.  Sandra Cox who was so helpful with last years KPP trip to the Norwalk Islands has arranged for Rick Saracelli, the caretaker of the Great Swamp Environmental Center, to give us an introduction to the swamp and join our paddle down to the beaver dam.   (contact group if you don't own a boat; members might have guest boats they are willing to share. Beginners welcome;  the Great Swamp is a very sheltered, quiet water area to paddle, check out KPP photos.  Bring dry cloths..just in case)  Directions are provided below.  All are welcome.
      • Sat 4/25 Aquatic Explorer¢s Wappinger¢s Creek Water Derby .  Race Application available from: thebennets@ hvc.rr.com or call (845)635-3463
      • Sat 4/25/09 (probabable date) Bannerman's & West Point Paddle (join Paddling.net message board to follow discussion and final launch and paddle plans)
      • Sun 4/26 @ 10:30 Post Derbv Wappingers Creek Paddle (join FREE Hudson River and Beyond Kayaking and Canoeing Club meet-up group to participate in paddle (meetup.com)
      • Sun 4/26 Nyack Springfest...food, music, vendors provides value-add to a paddle.
      • Unknown April date  (I suspect Marion will let us know)...Great Hudson River Sweep, when volunteers clean up along the Hudson
      • Coming up in May...
        • Sun 5/3/09 New Paltz Regatta @ 1:30 (newpaltz.org/regatta) go to site for schedule of events or to register for kayak races or raft entries.
        • River Connection in Hyde Park resumes Tuesday tuneups and Saturday demos.  Marshal has a guest expert coming in early May to provide workshops on paddling strokes, and preparing for eskimo rolls
        • Paddling schedules,  or weekly paddling times for several of the yahoo and google groups with weekly paddles along the Hudson will be formalized, and I'll pass on schedules of the groups that don't reaquire dues.

      KingstonPaddlePals Plans for 2009:

      • NEW-- Connie, Marion and I would like to start a weekly KingstonPaddlePals paddle Saturday morning (rain date on Sunday) and hope others will join us and/or suggest paddles and help us get this going.
      • NEW--We thought it wise to adapt a group disclaimer and social model based on that of the Stamford meet-up group.  This has been circulated and set up as a permanent file on the KingstonPaddlePal site.  This social model encourages individual responsibility and participation and permits an informal structure. Please take time to read it.
      • ONGOING--I'll continue to do a monthly aggregate posting of anything interesting I receive or come across, and update annual events (e.g. balloon festival, riverpool, go-zero races, etc).  I encourage members of other groups to post their events if applicable; I don't intentionally leave any notices out or misrepresent any event or group.  Links are available on the group site to check for other events that might not come to my attention, and I hope everyone feels free to post paddling events they hear about or want to arrange...so everyone is aware of paddling opportunities.
      • UNDECIDED--I'm uncertain about whether to  informally continue or formalizing "Waves to Wellness" assistance to beginners and individuals with handicaps and illnesses.  Over the past couple of years, Toni and I provided beginners without boats, seniors, individuals with deafness, arthritis, depression, partial paralysis, cancer, etc. the opportunity to paddle on quiet water. A couple of other paddlers have offered to provide similar assistance.  Should this just be continued on an informal basis, or organized into a monthly, or perhaps single quadricenntenial event?  One outfitter offered a boat to raffle if we held an event.  As I write this, I'm thinking maybe a pre or post paddle pot-luck, or lunch somewhere, for anyone or group interested in discussing this might be a good idea...so more on this as the water warms up.
      • UNDECIDED--should we plan a monthly or annual "share what we know session" to practice skills, rescues, and rolls?
      Sadly our seal watch paddle was cancelled because of the last winter storm.  But YouTube lets us live the experience varcaiously:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb8Elj_tiRk&NR=1

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1BDYTsmmPk

      Directions to Sat 4/18/09 Great Swamp Launch Site:

      • From Interstate 84, take the Patterson exit.  (This is east of the Taconic Pkwy. & west of I-684)
      •  Follow Rt. 311 north into the hamlet of Patterson.
      •  Turn right onto South St .  (Look for Burke's Pub on left.)
      •   Follow South St. to the Carmel School District Administration Bldg. on your right.  Launch is across the street, across RR tracks and down a narrow bumpy road.  Launch is very easy (shallow, grassy-muddy).
      • 10 am meet-up at the launch.  Please try leave room close to launch for dropping off kayaks/canoes.
      very happy its spring, Diane