2009 Great Hudson River Paddle might be cancelled & Greenway Staff layed off

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2009
      Here is a cut and paste of notice re: current NYS budget Proposal.  This notice surprises me since the Daily Freeman recently announced that an additional $750,000 for the Quadricenntenial for a variety of things including small grant awards to local communities organizing local quadricentenial celebrations.  Perhaps they feel that the work of the Greenway group has been "completed" now that several Greenway Hudson River Water Trail rest stops have been set up along the Hudson?  Anyway, here is what is currently being circulated...Diane:

      "The NYS Budget calls for the elimination of the Hudson River Valley Greenway and the laying off of all staff. As a result the 2009 Great Champlain Hudson Sojourn/Great Hudson River Paddle has been cancelled.

      Should the Hudson River Valley Greenway survive the budget process we will look to hold an expanded Great Hudson River Paddle in August 2009.

      I'm sorry for the late notice and I wish you all the best in your paddling adventures in 2009.

      If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me. I hope to see you on the water at some point this summer. Please excuse the multiple notices some of you will get.

      Scott

      Scott S. Keller
      Trails & Special Projects Director
      Hudson River Valley Greenway