Re: [KingstonPaddlePals] Empire State Games

  • Tom Galvin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 16 11:19 AM
      Allready signed #722.

      Tom Galvin
      Commodore
      Cold Spring Kayak Club
      914-213-3421

      --- On Fri, 1/16/09, Ivan <is.wolfram@...> wrote:
      From: Ivan <is.wolfram@...>
      Subject: [KingstonPaddlePals] Empire State Games
      To: KingstonPaddlePals@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, January 16, 2009, 1:03 PM

      Because of NYS budget problems the Empire State Games have been
      drastically cut back this year.

      The Masters division for older athletes as been entirely eliminated.

      Unlike the other divisions the Masters was self funding.

      The Masters athletes do not get room, meals, or transportation; and
      they have to pay an entry fee and pay for their uniforms if required.

      As in the other divisions most organizers and workers are volunteers.

      This year the games are local; to be held in Dutchess and Ulster
      counties.

      I am disapponted because I was planning to compete in the Long
      Distance kayak.

      As you might know I took a bronze medal last year in Binghamton.

      I was hoping to better this year locally.

      The link below is an on-line petition to the Governor Patterson and
      Parks Commissioner Ash to look more closely at the economics involved
      and possibly restore the Masters division.

      I would appreciate it if you would look at this and sign it if you
      agree.

      http://www.petition online.com/ EmpMas09/

      If you are not familiar with the Empire State games see this link:

      http://www.empirest ategames. org/summer/ sitemap.asp

      Ivan Schwartz