...more on acquiring and "tuning-up" kayaking skills

    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1, 2008
      Jim,

      Another really important factor regarding what is a "good" kayak is what you are willing to learn.  Since you enjoy water sports, you might want to take a few lessons or even a "camp" to learn things like what a rocker is & its impact, bracing your boat, carved turns, etc.  Earlier in the summer groups like the MH-ADK at Paddlefest offered free training.  Since I purchased a Currituck from the River Connection in Hyde Park, I get free lessons there every Tuesday between 6-8pm. You can join these "Tuesday tune-ups" on a drop in basis for $10 if you bring your own kayak, or $25 if you rent one of Marshal's. Depending on who decides to drop-in any given week determines what is taught.  If the group is small, Marshal just asks "what do you want to work on?".

       Most outfitter shops offer lessons...but they are often pricey.  Another way to learn is to ask for a training session through a message board like KPP or those on Paddling.net.  For example,  on the "getting together"  NE US  message board on paddling.net there was, and maybe still is, a meet-up board for individuals wanting to work on their rolls.  Most skills in kayaking are obvious if you do it right...it works.  The trick is to find someone who knows enough to suggest changes if you don't execute a skill properly, so you don't conclude "this doesn't work" and develop less efficient substitutions.

      I've... (and a few other people...although I've added a code like "O" for outfitter , so the yahoo program makes it appear that I've set all the links up)... put links to other message boards, kayaking groups, festivals,  events, etc. on the KingstonPaddlePals group site  to make it easier  to surf literally  & figuratively to different places & people. I hope you add any additional  kayaking resources that you might come across to the site "hub" also.

      have fun at the aquarium,
        Diane

      From: Diane Dintruff <ddintruff@yahoo. com>
      To: KingstonPaddlePals@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Thursday, July 31, 2008, 4:55 PM

      Jim,
      I set up the KPP group to with links to several sources of kayaking information.  A good site to check out is:

      http://www.atlantic kayaktours. com/pages/ expertcenter/ main-expert- center.shtml

      If you prefer a more personal approach I'd be happy to give you an overview sometime.  The thing about kayaks is...there really isn't a right or wrong kayak: it all depends on what you want to do,  where you want to paddle, your skill level and comfort in the water. For example, you can buy a top of the line kevlar touring kayak and look downright silly stuck on a log or beaver dam in the great swamp.  Or for some events, like the Great Hudson River Paddle, they have length requirements.  Diane 331-9321

      From: Diane Dintruff <ddintruff@yahoo. com>
      To: "KayakGroup1" <KingstonPaddlePals@ yahoogroups. com>
      Date: Thursday, July 31, 2008, 9:29 AM

      About a dozen of us will be launching from Plum Point just south of Newburg (off 9W between Toyota & Bowling Times).  We'll cross the Hudson to Bannerman's in the am and paddle Moodna Creek in the pm.  A family with teenagers from the CSKC will probably be coming...just in case anyone else's teens are reluctant... they will probably have some company.

      We'll BarBQue for lunch...BYO with something to share.

      We'd love to meet new paddlers.

    • junesanson
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 1, 2008
        I live in New Paltz, have a 12.5ft kayak, and would like to meet a
        couple of people to paddle with. Also, I have a 23 year old niece
        who is very interested. Any suggestions for reasonable rentals for
        her? She might even consider buying a used setup. Thanks for any
        info.
        June

        --- In KingstonPaddlePals@yahoogroups.com, Tom Galvin
        <thebaldguyd@...> wrote:

        > Hey Jim,
        > Why don't you join us at Plum Pt this Saturday. Its free!. There
        will several boats there, Possible try one and get all the pointers
        you want. I have one that will fit you. You could give me a call
        tomorrow and I will be able to answer your questions and give you
        directions to Plum Pt. Not tonight!! I just left the dentist.

        9:30; Moodna Creek @1; both from Plum Point

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 1, 2008
          June,

          If you're asking about rentals in general...most of the outfitters that KPP members have used are set up as links.  I realize now that the New Paltz outfitter on 299 isn't listed...I don't recall their name.   I'll do a search and see if I can locate it when I have time... it's located next to Burger King on the main drag.  EMS on the other side of the Hudson is good for recreational boats and the River Connection in Hyde park is good for touring kayaks.  Ulster Marine is good for renting on the Rondout creek since it is located directly on the creek under the railroad tressle so transporting isn't an issue. Most outfitters carry a range of boats and try to match boats with individuals.

          If you are interested specifically on a boat for Sat. ...here are some additional points to consider:   boat selection depends a lot on user characteristics like size, physical ability, individual's comfort on the water... I suspect, but don't really know ,  that Tom probably was offering his blue/white touring kayak (don't know if that's the one  he was offering) to the other new paddler because he had mentionned his age, height and maybe made assumptions about his physical ability.  That boat has a rudder which is a great assist for turning for an inexperienced paddler who hasn't learned to use body weight and paddles, but it is still a touring kayak which is tippier and has a smaller cockpit than a recreational boat, and it's a pretty big boat for an inexperienced petit paddler.  If your niece likes to swim, she might prefer a sit-up-on which she can easily roll off of and climb back on.  If she does't like to swim, she might prefer the most stable recreational boat you can find.

          Speaking from personal experience..as a person gains confidence and skills they just kind of grow into different boats, and seek out different paddling experiences.  When I first started out, the Currituck I bought this year was not one I even want to get in, and when I did get into similar boats,  I wanted to get out ASAP.

          When I first started paddling... I just wanted the boat least likely to tip over; if it did tip over, I wanted to fall out of it;  if I fell out of it, I just wanted to be able to crawl back on top; if I needed to  turn i just really wanted the boat to stay flat  which is why my first boat was a Wilderness Freedom sit-up-on with a traveling rudder. But I changed. I bartered the Freedom on Craigslist this year, because as I'm now learning to use my body weight, legs & paddles  to turn,  the Freedom's traveling rudder system, a boat that feels like a barge,  and a 15 foot RM plastic boat was just too darn heavy to manage.

          When i first started out I grew apprehensive at every little wave, now I'm eager to catch them.

          Kayaking is all about safety, comfort,  and fun; and WEATHER & RIVER CONDITIONS.  That's why demo days, trying out different boats, learning and practicing skills, and hanging out with other paddlers are so important.

           First of all, most important...get a boat that you enjoy yourself in, feel comfortable in, and look forward to going out again in.  Feeling terrified everytime a motor boat approaches making waves might not be the best first exposure to kayaking.
          If your niece has never paddled before, she might not even feel comfortable crossing the channel, she might prefer staying close to shore, practicing  and doing Moodna Creek in the pm.  Even getting to Moodna might be anxiety arousing for a new paddler...you just never know until you try...everyone is different.  And the WEATHER and river conditions make such a huge difference...let's hope for a nice calm day tomorrow.  My first trip to Bannerman's from Plum Point...the river was like glass.

          I hope this helps...I don't want to discourage you or anyone, but I  want to encourage awareness of personal limits, comfort level, and paddling ability.  This is why I'm probably staying in a recreational boat tomorrow since I'm still recovering from a detached retina, and I won't even be going out if the river is rough.

          YICKS this is wordier than I intended ...got to run...diane

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 1, 2008
            Diane;
            Thanks so very much for taking the time to provide such a thorough answer.  I didn't know about Ulster Marine, which sounds like a great location with no need for transport.  I will forward all this to my niece.  She has been in a couple of boats and is very comfortable and eager to learn.  Will encourage some professional instruction.
            I'm

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 1, 2008
              Diane;
              Thanks so very much for taking the time to provide such a thorough answer.  I didn't know about Ulster Marine, which sounds like a great location with no need for transport.  I will forward all this to my niece.  She has been in a couple of boats and is very comfortable and eager to learn.  Will encourage some professional instruction.
              I'm not

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 1, 2008
                Diane;
                Thanks so very much for taking the time to provide such a thorough answer.  I didn't know about Ulster Marine, which sounds like a great location with no need for transport.  I will forward all this to my niece.  She has been in a couple of boats and is very comfortable and eager to learn.  Will encourage some professional instruction.
                I'm not sure

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 1, 2008
                  Diane;
                  Thanks so very much for taking the time to provide such a thorough answer.  I didn't know about Ulster Marine, which sounds like a great location with no need for transport.  I will forward all this to my niece.  She has been in a couple of boats and is very comfortable and eager to learn.  Will encourage some professional instruction.
                  I'm not sure exactly what the

                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 1, 2008
                    Diane;
                    Thanks so very much for taking the time to provide such a thorough answer.  I didn't know about Ulster Marine, which sounds like a great location with no need for transport.  I will forward all this to my niece.  She has been in a couple of boats and is very comfortable and eager to learn.  Will encourage some professional instruction.
                    I'm not sure exactly what

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 1, 2008
                      Diane;
                      Thanks so very much for taking the time to provide such a thorough answer.  I didn't know about Ulster Marine, which sounds like a great location with no need for transport.  I will forward all this to my niece.  She has been in a couple of boats and is very comfortable and eager to learn.  Will encourage some professional instruction.
                      I'm not sure exactly what the event

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 1, 2008
                        Diane;
                        Thanks so very much for taking the time to provide such a thorough answer.  I didn't know about Ulster Marine, which sounds like a great location with no need for transport.  I will forward all this to my niece.  She has been in a couple of boats and is very comfortable and eager to learn.  Will encourage some professional instruction.
                        I'm not sure exactly what the event is

                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 1, 2008
                          Diane;
                          Thanks so very much for taking the time to provide such a thorough answer.  I didn't know about Ulster Marine, which sounds like a great location with no need for transport.  I will forward all this to my niece.  She has been in a couple of boats and is very comfortable and eager to learn.  Will encourage some professional instruction.
                          I'm not sure exactly what the event is all

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 1, 2008
                            Diane;
                            Thanks so very much for taking the time to provide such a thorough answer.  I didn't know about Ulster Marine, which sounds like a great location with no need for transport.  I will forward all this to my niece.  She has been in a couple of boats and is very comfortable and eager to learn.  Will encourage some professional instruction.
                            I'm not sure exactly what tomorrow's event is all about but I will check it out on the site.
                            (I think I just hit send by mistake.)
                            Thanks again for your input. Hope to meet you soon.
                            June Sanson