Re: [KingstonPaddlePals] Monday July 1, 9:30 am Black Creek South from 299 & Stockport Flats Questions

  • Russell Faller
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2013
      Sorry for the confusion.  It was a typo.  I meant Rt. 299.
        Russ

      From: Diane Dintruff <ddintruff@...> To: "KingstonPaddlePals@yahoogroups.com" <KingstonPaddlePals@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2013 4:39 PM

      Thanks Russ,

      Using google maps, I'm not seeing Black Creek crossing 209, or even 208 which is further East.  But we'll check it out tomorrow unless its raining like it is now.  Are there any specific landmarks to look for near the 209 put-in, so we can launch there in the future.

      The cave burrowing/dwelling birds must be bank swallows since it was definitely communal living...lots & lots of little caves.   I'm dating myself since I remember seeing the ladder near the nests.

      I think most of us put in at the same location you did: at the end of Station Road off 9 north of Hudson (one person paddled over from Athens which might be a better launch during a drought or low tide)...when we launched it was very muddy. Since its a location I've only paddled to once, I don't remember the specific island and hook names and refer to it as "Islands Park"  which seemed to cover it all.  Here is what DEC writes about the Stockport Creek area.
      "The Stockport Flats site is a five-mile, narrow mosaic of landforms, including from north to south Nutten Hook, a bedrock outcropping; Gay's Point and Stockport Middle Ground Island, dredge features that are both part of the Hudson River Islands State Park; the mouth of Stockport Creek, a large tributary stream; a portion of the upland bluff south of Stockport Creek; the dredge spoils and tidal wetlands between Stockport Creek and Priming Hook; and the northern end of Priming Hook. The Hudson is entirely tidal freshwater at this site.
      Stockport Flats is dominated by freshwater tidal wetlands, including subtidal shallows, intertidal mudflats, intertidal shores, tidal marshes and floodplain swamps. Stockport Creek drains a watershed of about 500 square miles.
      Nutten Hook at Stockport features the remains of the largest icehouse on the Hudson, which is listed on the National and New York State Registers of Historic Places. Interpretive panels relate the history of the ice harvesting industry. There is a hand boat launch on Ferry Road in Nutten Hook and at Stockport Creek. A loop hiking trail from Ferry Road goes to the Ice House."