Fireworks on the 4th & Rondout Music Plans

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2013

      Its really important to paddle in groups (everyone with 360 degree lights) at night especially on a night like the 4th with increased boat traffic, and for someone like me with limited night vision.

      My plans currently are to launch early enough to get in a Rondout paddle (5-6ish), an on-water dinner listening to the live music, & secure a parking space at Sleightsburg then to check back in at Sleightsburg around 8:15 and hook up with any paddlers going out just for the fireworks (9ish).  Other  opportunities for live music while paddling the the Rondout this weekend are:

      Friday July 5, 9:30 pm - concert by Hudson Valley Philharmonic

      Sat July 6, 5 to 9 pm - Raya Brass Band

      Russ through the Mid-Hudson ADK plans to watch the fireworks from the Hudson Highlands area (below).  The MH-ADK  allows 2 outings before membership. Diane

      MHADK Outings through July 14
      Is this email not displaying correctly?
      View it in your browser.
      OUTINGS THROUGH JULY 14TH

      Mid Week Paddles - We paddle scenic creeks, rivers, and lakes on most 2nd and 4th Thursdays.  Dates for spring paddles are 4/25, 5/23, 5/30, and 6/27.  Occasionally when the weather is perfect, additional impromptu paddles will be arranged.  Most of the paddles are moderate in pace and distance.  A few are easy, a few more challenging.  Leader: Shari Aber shnaber@...   Specific details of each paddle will be sent to anyone on the paddling e-list.  If you'd like to be added to the list, go to the bottom of the weekly e-mail to update your subscription

      Mid-Week Hikes - On 1st and 3rd Thursdays.. There are occasional Tuesday and Wednesday hikes of a shorter nature.
      If you are not receiving the separate updates for this group see link at the bottom of this posting to update subscription preferences .
      The leaders offer 3-6 hour hikes of varying difficulty to different areas of the Mid Hudson Valley. Hikes may be followed by a stop for refreshments. Leaders: Ginny Fauci, 845-399-2170, vfauci1@... or Lalita Malik, LalitaMalik@..., (845) 592-0204  Through My 23 contact Lalit
      Sat., June 29   Fishkill Creek Paddle & Clean-out
      Leader: Russ Faller 845-297-5126 (before 9:30 PM) or russoutdoors@...
      Come help us maintain our water trail on the Fishkill Creek.  We'll paddle the creek as we clear it for canoes & kayaks.  If you don't have a boat or tools, contact leader for loaners.  Bring lunch, water and tools (e.g. saws, axes, loppers, rope, come-alongs, pry bars, garbage bags, work gloves).  We hope to eventually extend this water trail from Glenham to Hopewell Jct., so we need your help.  Contact leader for meeting time & place.  If you cannot make this date, but want to become involved in this exciting, worthwhile project, contact leader.

      Sun, June 30 - Hunter Mountain from Spruceton Valley  8.4 m, 1940’ elevation gain. A
      Leader: Sue Mackson  suemackson@...  845 471 9892
      Help me get in shape for Lalita's trip to Glacier National Park This is an A hike, but at (my) slow pace. Second highest peak in the Catskills, we take a route that's longer but less steep. Trail is wet and muddy in some places, lots of Catskills rocks. Not scrambles. Scenery is lush and the upper Balsam forest and top view are worth the trip. This is a loop hike. Trailhead is off Rte 42 north of Rte 28.Call leader for meeting place and car pool information. Trail Conference map 41.

      July 2-7- Sixth Annual Erie Canal Trip – Sylvan Beach to Little Falls (C+, Easy but long)  Trip is full. Contact leader for next year.
      Leader: Don Urmston: Mrurmston@... or 845-457-4552 (before 9pm)
      This year’s journey will have us base camping at Verona Beach for 2 nights and Little Falls for 3 nights.  We will cover approx. 60 miles of the canal.  Minimum 12’ kayak.  Contact leader for more information.  ADK Members only.

      July 4th  Independence Day
      Climb a mountain and watch the fireworks from above.  Paddle and watch the fireworks from the water. Eat a hot dog.
      Eat a veggie burger.  Read the Declaration.  Figure out how to improve our republic.

      Thurs., July 4th   Fireworks on the Hudson River
      Leader: Russ Faller 845-297-5126 (before 9PM) or russoutdoors@...
      An evening paddle on the Hudson River to view Independence Day fireworks.  We won't need to paddle far to see the display, but you'll need a 360-degree light on your boat.  We'll launch from either Long Dock Park in Beacon or Foundry Cove Park in Cold Spring.  Optional pre-paddle meet up for refreshments.  PFD required.  Kayaks must be at least 13.5 ft. long and with dual bulkheads.  Contact leader for meeting time & location.

      Sat, July 6 - Hike, Swim, Hike Lake Awosting Loop from Lake Minnewaska
      8.5 miles, Moderate, No Dogs
      Leader: BT Sullivan  Phone: 845.594.9545, call before 9 PM
      Meet at Trailways Bus Station in New Paltz.  Park on Prospect Street at 10 AM. There is no parking in the Trailways Lot. Drivers will help with car pooling from the Bus Station. We are looking for drivers.

      Sun, July 7 -  Capping a Confused Sea Paddle
      Leader: Jeff Kaplan  845-928-1730 or fitdoc@... (confirm no later than 7/6)
      Cold Spring departure at 9:30 AM from the launch near the commuter train parking area.  Cold Spring Harbor to Arden Point & West Point.  We go through a brief challenge of a confused sea area off Constitution Island.  Trip is about 6 mi. in all.  You must be comfortable crossing the Hudson River; max winds 15 knots.  (Note: High tide is about 11AM.  That information is important if we choose to also include Constitution Marsh in the beginning of this outing.  We'll decide there.)   Min. kayak length 13.5 ft. with dual bulkheads or bow & stern flotation bags.  Canoes and sit-on-top kayaks excepted.  Bring lunch, water, PFD, etc.

      Tue July 9 - Norrie Point Evening Paddle B/C
      Leader: Dave Webber 845-452-7238 webberd1@...
      Launch at 6 PM and paddle for 1.5-2 hours, 4-6 miles at an easy pace.   PFD required! Participants must have a kayak 13.5 foot or longer with 2 bulkheads.
      Directions: Rt 9 north from Hyde Park, bear left on Old Post Road towards Staatsburg and then immediate left to Mills Norrie State Park. Follow signs to the Marina. We'll launch on the floating kayak launch in the marina.

      Wed, July 10 – John Burroughs Nature Sanctuary   C+ B-
      Leader: Salley Decker at 454-4206 July 8 or July 9 evenings until 9:00 PM or mornings until 10:00 AM
      Let's explore the new trails at the John Burroughs Nature Sanctuary in West Park.  We plan to hike the trails out to Chodikee Lake (and the waterfall) and return on a different trail (a lollipop loop).  Terrain is varied with some ups and downs but no serious climbing.   Bring lunch, plenty of water, etc.
      Meeting location in Poughkeepsie to be determined   Alternate meeting places will be at Park and Ride on Route 9W opposite Route 299 or at West Park Post Office (no parking at latter).    Hike is subject to cancellation or rescheduling depending on weather and other.  Plan to spend about three hours at the sanctuary.

       Sun, July 14 - Old Croton Aqueduct from Tarrytown to Dobbs Ferry  Class C - Moderate (about 5 miles)
      Contact John Ragusa for more info:  john.ragusa@...  or call 917-692-1159
      Part 3 of the Old Croton Aqueduct trail.  We will car pool from McDonald's Parking lot on Route 9 & I-84 near Home Depot at 10:00 a.m. and drive to Tarrytown or meet at 11:00 a.m. in Tarrytown at the corner of Main St. and Broadway (in front of 7-11 store).  We will proceed south on the Old Croton Aqueduct through Tarrytown with brief stops at Lyndhurst, Sunnyside and the Keepers House (Aqueduct Superintendent's house).  We will then take the Metro-North train from Dobbs Ferry back to Tarrytown.  Bring lunch.  Heavy rain cancels.

      Request for Volunteers  From NYNJTC  Trail Building Opportunity
      Hello,
      NYS Parks and the New York – New Jersey Trail Conference have entered into an agreement to repair existing and build new trail in Sterling Forest.  The Back Country Trails Program seeks able bodied individuals willing to be part of a Trail Crew trained by and working directly with NYNJTC trails personnel within Sterling Forest State Park.
       You can be trained in the art of trail building and restoration at upcoming workshops with the Trail Conference.
       If you have an interest in participating with the Sterling Forest Back Country Trails Crew please respond to this email.
      Jeffrey Hutchinson
      Park Manager II
      Sterling Forest State Park
      116 Old Forge Road
      Tuxedo, New York 10987

      ..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

      Join the Chapter Breakfast Group! Consider yourself invited to join us for breakfast at 8am every Friday at the Gateway Diner on 9W in Highland (on the left heading north off the bridge). A Rail Trail entrance is only 200 feet from the diner which permits easy access to the Walkway Bridge for an easy, scenic before or after breakfast hike. Contact Ralph Pollard at 845-462-3389 or ralphpollard@... if you’d like more information.
       .......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

      Trip  is full. Waiting list available.
      Fall Kayaking Trip in Florida Moved to Third Week in October New Dates: Oct. 20 -Oct. 26, 2013 Cost $1100. We can take 12 people. Price includes all ground transportation to and from the airport and during the trip, all meals, all kayaks or canoes, equipment, lodging, and 2 guides.
Your only additional expense is transportation to Florida.
  Paddles will include some of  the following:
      Suwannee River State Park (SP) Madison Blue Springs SP
      Peacock Springs SP Ichetucknee Springs SP
      Troy Springs SP Withlacoochee River
      Suwannee River Waccissa Springs Unit/River
      Santa Fe River Alapaha River
      Suwannee Springs Royal Springs
      Convict Springs Running Springs
      White Springs Swift Creek.
      The paddling is on quiet water and offers great opportunities for wildlife viewing and photography. Since no equipment is needed, this trip is open to beginners as well as experienced paddlers. The only requirement is that you be in good enough physical condition to be active all day.
      We will be staying in cabins, the same cabin for whole trip. Meals will be prepared for us by the outfitter.
      To reserve your spot, please send a deposit of $250 fo Shari Aber at PO Box 92, West Park, NY 12493.
      Contact Shari Aber shnaber@... for more information.

      Outing Schedule follows this interesting theatre suggestion.
      North to Maine, Play about Appalachian Trail, Opens Off-Broadway Wednesday, June 5

      BUY TICKETS HERE:
      http://northtomaine2013.brownpapertickets.com/

      North to Maine is the first play ever written about the Appalachian Trail and the Thru-Hikers who walk it. Every year, in late March, nearly 2,000 people gather at its southern terminus and attempt the feat of walking it, in its entirety, in a single season. They come from all walks of life, and from all over the world. They carry all their possessions on their backs, and sleep in tents and shelters along the way, trusting their lives to providence, to the kindness of strangers, and to their own hands. They do not walk for money, or fame; rather, they are driven to walk, some would say compelled, by the journey itself.

      CAST:
      Tim Dowd as Adam
      Adam La Faci as Creature Man
      David Sitler as Kevin
      Joie Bauer as Rock-stabber
      Michelle Concha as Juice Box

      Copyright © *|2012|* *|MHADK|*, All rights reserved.
      You are a member of Mid Hudson ADK.
      Our mailing address is:
      *|PO Box 3674, Poughkeepsie, NY 12603|*

      This email was sent to ddintruff@...
      Mid Hudson ADK · PO Box 3674 · Poughkeepsie, NY 12603

      Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp