Lower Hudson Area - White Water Paddling

  • Alistair
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2013
      I'm normally a sea kayaker, but I would like to experience some running water paddling. I would like some fast moving water with some rapids.

      Is there anywhere to in the lower Husdon Valley that you could recommend for river running ?
    • Ivan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2013
        I assume you will be using a plastic sea kayak or rec boat instead of a real WW kayak.

        If so you should limit it to Class 1 rapids. Or overated class 2 rapids.

        The Mid Hudson Chapter of the ADK has trips that are in this catagory.

        The venue for the Wappingers Water Derby from Pleasant Valley Recreation Center, Rt. 44, Pleasant Valley to Greenvale Recreation Park, Rt. 376, Poughkeepsie, NY is about 8 miles of moving water with at least one set of rapids (Rochdale Rapids). It can be run in any type of kayak. You can portage and rerun the Rochdale Rapids

        The Delaware river from Hancock to the Delaware Water Gap is moving water; but I don't where the fun spots are. All of it is easy enough for any type of kayak.

        The Rondout from Accord to the bridge in High Falls is suitable with some rapids or at least ripples depending on water level.

        The Esopus has some stretches that are suitable and some that are too difficult and dangerous.

        Play in the moving water in the following spots:

        1. Rondout Creek just below the falls in Eddyville.

        2. Under the foot bridge in Rotary Park off of the Hudson in Kingston when the tide is just right. It can be too shallow or too slow. Other times it can be a blast.

        3. Esopus river in Saugerties just below the dam.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2013
          Sorry Ivan, I have an 10' ww kayak with skirt that I will be using.

          -
        • Ivan
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4, 2013
            I recommend taking that Beginner Course with KCCNY this weekend.
            http://kccny.com/SupportPages/BeginnerWeekend.aspx

            After running class 1;2 rapids the second day you will know what you can handle. Plus you will know and be known by the KCCNY group who can advise much better than me where else to paddle.

            Then join KCCNY and watch their Calendar for trips that are local enough.

            I run the following nearby rivers:
            Class 2+.
            I only do these with experienced WW kayakers.
            Only good when there is a release.
            See for KCCNY Website for this.

            Esopus from railroad rapids in Phoenicia down.
            Same venue as Tinker Tubes.

            Mongaup river from Rio Dam to the Delaware upstream of Port Jervis.