Re: [KingstonPaddlePals] May 9, weekend of 5/11-12/13, and list of paddling networks & Instructors

  • Robin Read
    Message 1 of 4 , May 8, 2013
      Thanks Diane for this great resource!

      On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 9:12 AM, Diane Dintruff <ddintruff@...> wrote:

      Thursday May 9, 2013 Very first Family Day at the Hudson River Maritime Museum & Clearwater's Kingston Home Port and Education Center...focus on kayaking.  Kayak "How to" videos will be available throughout the day with popcorn. I hope other paddlers will join Marion, Ivan and me to discuss kayaking with those interested.

      Kayak safety check performed by the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary starting around 3pm.  Division Vice Commander E. Curtis Fleck has agreed to meet kayakers at low docks to evaluate kayaks and safety equipment and to perform inspections on land.  You do not need to exit your kayaks/canoes for the inspections on water.  Those who pass receive a "2013 Safety Check" sticker; those who don't will receive recommendations. They will make kayak identification labels available.

      5:30–6:30 pm

      Ivan Schwartz will perform kayak Eskimo rolls.
      Hudson River paddlers are invited to participate in a Family Day Parade of kayaks, canoes, and paddleboards on the Rondout Creek.

      I've been busy preparing for family day, but here's what caught my eye for the weekend:

      Sat May 11, Riverkeeper’s Esopus Meadows and Lighthouse Park clean-up, followed by a kayak paddle…you will be entered for prizes and coupons.  http://esopusmeadowssweep.eventbrite.com/#
      Ø      Trailsweepers 1st paddle- Walkill river 5/11/13
      Ø       MH-ADK Constitution Marsh 5/12/13 (2 paddles permitted without club membership)

      Most of us connect with several paddling networks and instructors, so please let me know if anything has changed on the list below from last year or if you know of anyone who should be added.  thanks, Diane

      Ongoing Local Paddling Networks, and
        Instructor/Guide/Demo/Rental Programs
      :
      Ø      For posting impromptu paddles on KingstonPaddlePals, just insert the following email address after the “To:”
      Ø      To locate and find out about launch sites world wide, go to paddling.net’s Launch Site Map
      Ø      To locate launch sites in Ulster County with road maps, go to:
      Ø      Kingston’s Forsyth Nature Center Guided Programs from Kingston Point Park and Gallo Park on the Rondout Creek,   boats/gear provided.
      Ø      Kingston’s Kenco kayak rentals and sales
      §         http://www.atkenco.com/
      Ø      Coast Guard Auxillary Kayak Inspections & ownership Stickers
      Ø      Atlantic Kayak Tours & Lessons at Norrie Point and Annsville  tours with boats/gear provided.
      Ø      Hyde Park’s River Connection’s Sunday Tune-ups for experienced paddlers 6pm  and demos 6pm for new paddlers each $10.  During cold weather conducts Pool Sessions in the Culinary Institute Pool.
      Ø      Saugertie’s Katskill Kayak Instruction with Steve Wycoff
      Ø      Outfitters for renting for more distant paddles
      §         Westchester County, http://www.kayakhudson.com/
      §         Cornwall on Hudson http://www.stormkingadventuretours.com/
      §         Hastings-on-Hudson http://www.mountainvalleyguides.com/
      §         Cold Springs http://www.hudsonvalleyoutfitters.com/
      §         Beacon http://www.mountaintopsonline.com/
      §         Albany http://www.onewithwater.com/
      Ø      DEC’s free canoe program
      Ø      Audabon Society Canoe Program on Consitution Marsh small fee
      Ø      Paddling.net’s message board for finding or posting paddles
      Ø      Kingston’s Trailsweepers  emailed it was OK for KPP to paddle with them on their monthly paddles:
      Ø      Numerous Kayaking Meet up Groups
      §         http://www.meetup.com/ (some of my favs are Hudson Valley and beyond Kayakers, Kayaking the liquid skies, Stamford kayakers, Hudson Valley Hikers /w paddles)
      Ø      Catskill Mountain Club – free group with paddles (donations appreciated)
      Ø      Poughkeepsie/Wappingers – scheduled paddles http://www.kasualkayaks.org/
      Ø      Malden’s paddles are 6 pm Tuesday’s & Thursdays, and 9am Sundays
      §         http://maldenyachtclub.org/
      Ø      Green County (the yahoo group: paddlegreene was plagued with spammers, so a new group recently formed)
      Ø      Dues paying clubs, membership required (AMC, ADK; Cold Springs, NY)
      §         http://www.outdoors.org
      §         http://cskc
      §         http://kccny.com/  white water
      Ø      www.uscanoe.com  to list & find events
      Ø      Good, but NOT local, white and big or open water  kayak schools
      o       http://www.kayakschool.com/ in NE PA:
      o       http://www.kayakwaveology.com/ in CT and RI
      o       http://www.emsexploration.com/kayak/ in NY, RI, Mass & Maine
      o       http://www.benlawry.net/ travels around
      o       http//www.bobfoote.com/ in Maryland;often comes up to the River Connection with Karen Knight
      o       www.jsska.org club with reduction in big or open  water classes in NJ

    • Barb Stemke
      Message 2 of 4 , May 9, 2013
        Diane,

        Can you translate the marks in blue at the top?

        Also, do you know why the repair is $129?

        Barbara

      • Ivan
        Message 3 of 4 , May 9, 2013
          How to translate:

          Copy and paste into a Word document.
          Change the font from wingdings to somethine else or
          use format painter to make the font the same as what you can read.