Re: A good deal on a sea Kayak

  • rkread03
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 18, 2013
      I believe the post 2009 hatches are much better. A friend with a 2008 boat like mine complained loud enough and got her boat replaced and has not had the hatch problems since. They don't use a bungee btw.

      --- In KingstonPaddlePals@yahoogroups.com, Rick Loggia <rickloggia@...> wrote:

      > Ditto on the rear hatch problem, only reason I sold mine. It basically is not a seaworthy kayak in anything above calm waters. The hatch imploded while doing rescue practice almost every time. This has been the case with everyone I've talked to about the Tempest and as far as I know the poor design of the cover has not been changed (the addition of a bungee around it is no solution).

    • Ivan
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 19, 2013
        1. This particular kayak is sold.

        2. I have a few days coastal experience with a Tempest and thought it was pretty good. Otherwise I wouldn't have recommended it.

        3. The hatch problem mentioned is serious. I never heard of it before so I did some internet research. Apparently up to a certain date they were bad and then fixed.

        See the following link to the authoritative Kayak Academy:
        http://www.kayakacademy.com/pages/store/kayaks/tempestpro.html

        4! Your kayak's hatches might come off or have other serious problems. Find out under controlled conditions. Tip it over; practice re-entry; take it out when the conditions are a bit scary; get wet. Equipment problems can be fixed.

        5. Then just for fun: Tip it over; practice re-entry; take it out when the conditions are a bit scary; get wet.