Kayaking & Hudson River Events this Weekend

    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2012
      Here are the kayaking events that caught my eye this weekend:

      On Saturday June 2,  those who paddle under the Walkway at about 2:30 pm will get free admission to the Hudson Valley Outdoor Adventure Expo on that day.   As I understand it, the Outdoor Adventure Expo is part of the I love NY campaign to show off Hudson Valley attractions and activities like paddling:  http://thebeat.iloveny.com/hudson-valley-outdoor-adventure-expo-set-for-june-1-and-2-4711.html   If the lot is fill at Waryas, there is free weekend parking in the train station, and several other launch areas:  https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=105353159545017884560.00046bdbae3f38a73493b&t=h&z=13

      River Keeper Sweep, a Day of Service for the Hudson River June 2
      http://www.riverkeeper.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Sweep-volunteer-sites-523.pdf  Kenco is coordinating the clean-up at Kingston Point Beach 9-12, and ends with a Sweep Party at the Ossining Waterfront
      June 2, 2012: 3:00PM to 7:00PM
      Where:Louis Engel Waterfront Park, Secor Road & Westerly Road, Ossining, NY (Easy access via Metro North! Plenty of Free Parking)
      • Free Live Music by Stew Cutler and friends from 4-5 and 6-7 p.m.
      • Awards Ceremony honoring Clean Water Champions at 5 p.m.
      • *Sailing with the Ossining Community Sailing Club, 3-7 p.m.
      • *Kayaking with Hudson River Recreation, 4-7 p.m.
      • Sunset Sails ($60) and Sunset Paddles ($40) departing at 7 p.m., available with purchase of a ticket (limited number available)
      • Educational Tables about Hudson River Issues & Organizations
      • Food by Wobble Café and Whole Foods Market
      • Beer by Captain Lawrence Brewing Company
      • Open House at the Ossining Boat and Canoe Club
       Pirate Weekend May 31- June 4 in Newburg with HMS Bounty: on ship tours and films
      http://www.cityofnewburgh-ny.gov/press/2009/52112bounty2.pdf

      Weekend of June 2-3 Esopus Whitewater Fun Fest near Phoenicia http://kccny.com/Racing/Racing.aspx
      • 46th Annual KCCNY Esopus Slalom
      • 4th Annual KCCNY Downriver Sprint Race
      • "Head-to-Head" Boater Cross Competition
      • NEW Freestyle Competition
      • River Trips on Esopus Creek
      • Saturday Night Buffet Dinner - BYOB
      • FREE raffle for goods & services donated by sponsors
      • Optional Group Camping available at Sleepy Hollow Campground

      Ivan shared a link demonstrating some of the skills involved in slalom: http://www.slalomtechnique.co.uk/k1technique.php

      Sunday June 3 Hudson Valley & Beyond Meet-up group NW Ct Housatonic River http://www.meetup.com/Hudson-River-and-Beyond-Kayaking/events/66492132/
      Sunday June 3 Kayaking the Liquid Skies Meet-up group Rowayton to the Sound, Norwalk CT http://www.meetup.com/kayaking-the-liquid-skies/events/64763682/
      DEMO DAYS Continued

      Sat June 2 Swift Kayak demo day at Collinsville CT http://www.cckstore.com
      Sun June 3 SUP demo day at Collinsville, CT http://www.cckstore.com
      Mon June 4 Sale & Demo Day”Evening”  at Lock 7 up near Albany http://www.onewithwater.com/page1.html

      Next weekend: Saturday  June 9, 10 am, Kenco’s Kingston Kayak Festival is at Kingston Point Beach atkenco.com.  Kenco needs a few volunteers to assist as safety kayaks, keeping test paddlers out of the shipping channel and within sight of Kingston Point Park.  Please let me know if you can help, even if you are doing the Hokey Pokey on the Walkway in the morning.  So far there are only 2 volunteers, so even if you can only spare an hour or two, your assistance would be very much appreciated..
    • Marion Zimmer
      Message 2 of 3 , May 31, 2012

        If you still haven't found a paddle to suit your time schedule this weekend - I plan to kayak out of George Freer Park, Canal Street, Port Ewen.

        Saturday, June 2nd  at noon.  (high tide)  Weather permiting - looks like rain should clear by then.

        Marion Z.
      • laura Shulman
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2012
          I will join you!  Thanks for the invite!!!