Re: [KingstonPaddlePals] Re: Strong Paddlers might wish to join International contingent of kayakers to Kingston - Please welcome them here

    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2012
      I'll paste what Nancy sent about paddling down from coxsackie.  Its a long paddle, but we could do part of it then get back for the evening paddle on the Rondout.  Marshal at River Connection said he's going to give a paddling lesson for some Duchess County dignitaries to connect with them the following day at Quiet Cove...so paddling to there from Waryas is another option since I'm guessing you don't want to do an early am paddle from Kingston.   here is paste of info from Nancy in Greene County:

      Diane

      CONTACT:  Rebecca Steffan
      (518) 523-9258
      rebecca@...

       “Spare Seat Kayak Expedition” to Launch May 1, 2012 on Erie Canal and Hudson River
      British Adventurers Invite Kayakers Along for the Ride – Slated to Stop in the Catskills May 15

      GREENE COUNTY, NY (April 30, 2012) –This May, the legacy of New York State’s Erie Canal and Hudson River will lure kayaker Richard Harpham and photographer Glenn Charles to kayak an epic 500 miles from Buffalo’s Historic Erie Canal Harbor on May 1, 2012 to the Statue of Liberty at the end of the month – and you’re invited along for the ride.

      New York State’s Division of Tourism, I LOVE NEW YORK, invited world-renowned kayaker, Richard Harpham, from the U.K. to make history while chronicling the dynamic locations along the Erie Canal and its 35 locks, before reaching Albany and joining the Hudson River. The trip continues south on the Hudson River, stopping in the Great Northern Catskills at the Coxsackie Yacht Club to meet and greet before continuing on to their iconic final destination - the Statue of Liberty.

      The journey is called ‘New York State’s Spare Seat Kayak Expedition’ as both Harpham and Charles will kayak the route in double seated kayaks, inviting members of the public and media to join them along the way.

      Spare Seat will be making a stop in the Great Northern Catskills, and is scheduled to arrive at the Coxsackie Yacht Club at 3:30 pm on Tuesday, May 15, 2012. A press conference is scheduled for 12 pm on Wednesday, May 16 at the Coxsackie Riverside Park. Locals and visitors will have an opportunity to meet Harpham and Charles at Riverside Park before the tour the region. Local paddlers and kayaking clubs can join Harpham and Charles as they continue on their journey down the Hudson River. They will leave from the Coxsackie Riverside Park at 1pm on Wednesday, May 16.

      The entire expedition will be photographed and filmed, and hosted on a dedicated website with social media feeds enabling the public to follow Harpham, Charles and all those that join them every stroke of the way.

      “By bringing in a world-class kayaker and adventure photographer to explore New York State’s Erie Canal and Hudson River, we can to showcase New York State’s assets in an extraordinary way,” said Edward Maitino, managing director, tourism for Empire State Development of New York State. “The Spare Seat Kayak Expedition also shines a spotlight on the more than 230 communities that span the Erie Canal and upstate New York.”

      Experience the rich history, hometown hospitality, and numerous attractions of the Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor and Hudson River Valley Greenway.  To explore and experience the Erie Canal or the Hudson River visit:  www.eriecanalway.org ,  www.hudsongreenway.ny.gov, or http://www.canals.ny.gov. For information on the NYS Canalway Water Trail visit: /www.canals.ny.gov/exvac/watertrail.html.

      *Travel dates are subject to change and will be determined by weather and manpower.

      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2012

        Wednesday, May 2nd @ 6:30 PM

        How to get Started in Kayaking

        We'll tell you how to get started, what gear you'll need, where to go paddling, where to meet other paddlers, and where to get instructionon your technique. Free and Open to all Ages. Presented by the Mid Hudson Chapter of the Adirondack Mountain Club, http://www.midhudsonadk.org/

        For more information or to register: Call the Library, 845-338-5580

        Tomorrow evening at the Town of Esopus Library, 128 Canal Street, Port Ewen.

        Know anyone interested???

      • Ivan
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2012
          "Its a long paddle"

          Its about 35 miles in 6 hours.

> [...]
          > Erie Canal and Hudson River, we can to showcase New YorkState’s
          > assets in an extraordinary way,” said Edward Maitino, managing director,
          > tourism for Empire State Development of New York State. “The Spare Seat Kayak
          > Expedition also shines a spotlight on the more than 230 communities that span
          > the Erie Canal and upstate New York.”
          >
          > Experience
          > the rich history, hometown hospitality, and numerous attractions of the Erie
          > Canalway National Heritage Corridor and Hudson River Valley Greenway.  To explore and experience the Erie Canal or
          > the Hudson
          > River visit:  www.eriecanalway.org,  www.hudsongreenway.ny.gov, or
          > http://www.canals.ny.gov For information on the NYS Canalway Water Trail
          > visit: /www.canals.ny.gov/exvac/watertrail.html.
          >
          > *Travel dates are subject to
          > change and will be determined by weather and manpower.

        • Marion Zimmer
          Message 4 of 8 , May 3, 2012

            Diane,

            I would like to paddle from Waryas to quiet cove if you go.  Do you know what the time frame is?

            Marion

            Marion

            Simon Bevan: Photographer-Discovery Channel
            Iain King: Scottish Sun Newspapers

            Lisa Berger
            Director of Marketing & Group Sales
            Ulster County Tourism
            10 Westbrook Lane
            Kingston, NY 12401
            t. 845.340.3567
            f. 845.334.8687
            800.342.5826
            www.ulstercountyalive.com
            Follow us on twitter: @VisitUlsterCnty

            "candrzzi" <candrzzi@...>
            Sent by: KingstonPaddlePals@yahoogroups.com
            04/30/2012 02:41 PM
            Please respond to
            KingstonPaddlePals@yahoogroups.com

            KingstonPaddlePals@yahoogroups.com
            cc
            Subject
            [KingstonPaddlePals] Re: Strong Paddlers might wish to join  International contingent of kayakers to Kingston - Please welcome them here

            This sounds like fun. Do you know where these international paddlers are coming from?

            --- In

          • Ivan
            Message 5 of 8 , May 3, 2012
              See this web site for many more details of the event including complete expected itinerary with timetable.

              http://thespareseat.com/the-route