Congratulations Marion Zimmer

  • Cliff
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2012
    • Marion Zimmer
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1 5:04 AM
        Join us:   Thursday 5/3 @ 10:30am  George Freer Park,  Canal Street,   Port Ewen.

        Bring Lunch ( on the water or at the park after)  Hightide:  11:30am.

        Weather permitting/  heavy rain or t/storms cancel.

        Marion Z. and Diane D.
      • KentD
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1 7:01 AM

          What the dress code?  Wet suit, dry suit or casual shorts and a tee?

        • waltgorgas@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1 11:22 AM
            Looks like a nice paddle.

            With high tide at 11:30,  the current will be going north at launch and will continue going north until about 2:00 pm.

            Message 5 of 7 , May 1 12:25 PM

              Is the water still too cold for shorts and a tee shirt?  If so, would one need a wet suit or a dry suit?  What are the general guidelines on which to where and when?

              Message 6 of 7 , May 1 1:26 PM
                Water Temp in Poughkeepsie is 55 degrees.

                Some cold water guidelines from the American Canoe Assoc
                http://www.americancanoe.org/resource/resmgr/sei-educational_resources/brochure_cold_water_survival.pdf

                Here is a paragraph from the ACA guide.

                Cold water is extremely dangerous.
                It quickly robs the body of its
                strength, diminishes coordination
                and impairs judgment. Immersion
                in water as warm as 50 – 60
                degrees can initiate what has been
                determined to be "Cold Water
                Shock". When a paddler capsizes
                and is suddenly immersed in cold
                water the body's first reflexive
                action is to gasp for air, followed by
                increased heart rate, blood pressure
                and disorientation and can even lead
                to cardiac arrest. Without proper
                equipment and apparel, the body can
                become incapacitated in just a few
                minutes and without a lifejacket this
                can be a very dangerous and often
                fatal combination. When paddling in
                places where the water temperature
                is 60 degrees Fahrenheit or colder,
                a wetsuit is a must and a drysuit is
                highly recommended.

                -Dave W

                --- In KingstonPaddlePals@yahoogroups.com, KentD <donkent42@...> wrote:

                > Is the water still too cold for shorts and a tee shirt? If so, would one
                > need a wet suit or a dry suit? What are the general guidelines on which to
                > where and when?
                > On May 1, 2012 2:22 PM, <waltgorgas@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > Looks like a nice paddle.
                > >
                > > With high tide at 11:30, the current will be going north at launch and
                > > will continue going north until about 2:00 pm.

              • Marion Zimmer
                Message 7 of 7 , May 2 5:15 AM
                  Kent,

                  I think the yesterday's discussion answered that question.  If you need more information, come to the presentation at the Library this evening and they can answer your questions,

                  I will be wearing a wet suit -  safer and warmer that way.

                  Marion