Re: [KingstonPaddlePals] May 21, 10 am Paddle on Black Creek starting at Lake Chodikee

  • bidbuy34@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , May 19, 2011

      greetings: you are putting in at lake chodikee and going to black creek?  Do they connect??? george.   also what time sat. and Sun also???

      Message 2 of 7 , May 19, 2011
        Hi George,
        Black Creek runs through Lake Chodikee.  The North end exits just to the left of the Blue Heron Rookery..thats what we'll follow to the remnants of an old mill at a bit of running water.  I don't expect problems getting over the beaver dam with all the rain we've had.  It's a very pretty paddle with the creek lined with white & yellow water lilies this time of year We're also likely to see a pair of swans (perhaps some young).  Saturday we'll be on the water at 10.

        The fireboat John J. Harvy is giving tours from the Rondout Maritime Museum Sunday starting at 11.  I'll launch from Sleightsburg then if the weather isn't dreadful ...that is unless a Sunday rain day paddle is needed for the Black Creek (Lake Chodikee) Saturday paddle for the Esopus Bicentennial...but currently, my marine radio is predicting a break in the rain Saturday morning so hopefully the Black Creek paddle to go as planned on Saturday. (All five of the Saturday Esopus Bicentennial paddles have a Sunday rain date)

        Diane

        greetings: you are putting in at lake chodikee and going to black creek?  Do they connect??? george.   also what time sat. and Sun also???

        With a little bit of luck, we'll have a break in the rain Saturday morning so we can make our first Esopus Bicentennial Paddle.  Sunday isn't looking quite so good for paddling with and photographing the Fireboat Harvey...but we'll see.  Rain, rain go away!
      • june sanson
        Message 3 of 7 , May 19, 2011
          Hi Diane,
          What's your rough estimate of total time for this trip?
          Thanks very much-
          June

[...]

        • Yvonne Baker
          Message 4 of 7 , May 19, 2011

            Ready to paddle 10am. Will head towards Black Creek and will  SEE HOW FAR we can get.

            Yvonne

            Message 5 of 7 , May 19, 2011
              June,
              Whew...It's not possible to predict with any accuracy since I don't know who will show up & their paddling experience & habits....and for first timers at the rookery, how long they want to stare at the blue heron nests. Then there is snack sharing at the mill end. I'm going to say 4 hours...but anyone...chime in if you disagree. With bird watchers, photographers, chatterers, individuals who want to practice turns/rolls on the lake ...sometimes paddles break into 2 groups:  one that wants to quickly move along, and another "stop & smell the water lilies" group.

              I'd like to keep the paddle moving Saturday since there is a possibility of rain in the pm.  Groups not wanting to spend that long on the water can easily head back on their own. The Blue Heron rookery is early in the trip.  The path along and out of Black Creek is obvious, and the lake isn't very big. I'll encourage everyone to head back if the weather becomes threatening.

              A late start is an other thing.  If a lot of people show up at the same time, I encourage anyone who has a stow-able portage cart to use it so that the road down to the launch doesn't get bottled up.
              Diane

              Message 6 of 7 , May 19, 2011
                Diane,
                Thanks very much for the details.  I have an afternoon commitment, but will try to join you for the paddle.