      From: Vikki <hudson.river.and.beyond@...>
      Subject: [newlysingle-687] Call for Action to Save Bannermans Island
      To: newlysingle-687-announce@...
      Date: Monday, January 4, 2010, 9:49 AM

      If you contribute please let them know you are a member of the our Kayaking Group.

      What a sad way to start our year. Look for a photo on our website under photos.

      Fishkill, NY -- On Sunday, Dec 28, 2009, Metro North Railroad
      personnel alerted the Bannerman Castle Trust, Inc., a not-for-profit
      'friends group' working with the New York State Office of Parks,
      Recreation, and Historic Preservation (NYSOPRHP), that one full
      corner of the historic Bannerman Castle tower structure on Pollepel
      Island had collapsed.
      Bannerman Castle is a National Historic
      Register site in the Hudson Highlands State Park and is readily
      observed from the Metro North rail line, both shores of the Hudson
      River, and by kayakers and other boaters. The unprecedented damage,
      caused by aging mortar and unprotected brick damaged by the elements,
      underscores the need for immediate action to save this endangered
      historic and scenic treasure in the Hudson River.

      The Bannerman Castle Trust, Inc. is currently poised to begin
      construction to stabilize the former Bannerman residence, a smaller
      castle structure located on the west side of Pollepel Island. In
      2007, the Trust received a $350,000 Environmental Protection Fund
      challenge grant to design and undertake the stabilization of the
      residence structure. Since that time, the Trust has raised nearly
      $200,000 towards the matching grant, retained the preservation
      architecture firm Jan Hird Pokorny Associates, Inc. of Manhattan, and
      submitted a final stabilization design to NYSOPRHP. The Trust hopes
      that successful stabilization of the residence in 2010 will raise
      awareness and spur additional fundraising for emergency stabilization
      of the larger castle structure and the picturesque towers that ring
      the island, rising from the waters of the Hudson River. The new
      damage to the larger castle, however, signals that we are truly
      running out of time to save Bannerman Castle.

      The Bannerman Castle Trust, Inc. is dedicated to the preservation of
      Bannerman Castle as an educational, cultural, and heritage tourism
      resource in the Hudson Valley. The Trust operates tours of the
      island under the purview of New York State Office of Parks, Recreation
      and Historic Preservation and has cooperated with various
      groups to host school dance performances, fencing tournaments, and
      photography events, to name but a few, on the island. The facade of
      the castle that was damaged was recently featured in a striking
      fashion spread in Esquire magazine, which may become one of the last
      photos to document its beauty intact. The castle has been used as a
      background in feature films and television programs and is one of the
      most unique aesthetic resources in the Hudson Valley.

      The Bannerman Castle Trust is making an urgent appeal for donations
      to expedite the stabilization of the Bannerman residence in 2010 and
      to begin to plan the stabilization of the larger and in-water
      structures. Emergency stabilization is needed! Donations of in-kind services
      from structural engineers, geotechnical engineers, bracing and shoring contractors,
      construction contractors, and firms with experience in maintenance and
      preservation of coastal structures are sought.

      Tax-deductible donations can be made through a PayPal application on our website at
      www.bannermancastle.org, or you may send your donation to:

      The Bannerman Castle Trust, Inc.
      PO Box 843
      Glenham, NY 12527-0843
      contact Neil Caplan at 845-234-3204

      --
      This message was sent by Vikki (hudson.river.and.beyond@...) from Happy New Year Fellow Kayakers and Canoeists.
      To learn more about Vikki, visit his/her member profile

      Meetup Inc. PO Box 4668 #37895 New York, New York 10163-4668 | support@...