Archery

  • thomas bert
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 24, 2010

      Greetings,

      Thank you again for the advice you have been very kind
      and helpful. I can only imagine the cost for a fully armed
      knight/foot soldier but I am not adverse to saving up my
      pennies. As for getting hit by a ratan weapon goes I
      sometimes think that a few people believe that I already
      have been!

      You seem to have all of the accouterments needed, that could
      not have been cheap either. Since you are not doing combat
      archery it is good that you can still be involved and educate.
      That is a noble endeavor.

      I am grateful for your time and effort. You are a good man and
      I look forward to discussions that we might have. I wish you
      all the best.

      With Much Respect,
      Thomas

      "Bellum Est Pater Omnium"

      To: KingdomofLyonnesse@yahoogroups.com
      From: cogworks@...
      Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 10:26:28 -0400
      Subject: RE: [KingdomofLyonnesse] Archery

      Thomas,
      Not sure if I replied to this post yet or not, but my two cents worth says that getting into archery is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than getting into armor and fighting.  If your intent is to armor up for the purpose of participating in the fighting the required helmet alone could easily cost as much as an entire archery kit.  On the other hand considering you are likely to be hit with a ratan weapon, that would be solid bamboo, then having safe armor is not a choice but mandatory.  The object is to have fun and not kill each other.  I personally have an armor kit for a military archer which includes a full chain mail shirt, coif and kettle helm.  I also have a basinet from my combat archer days.  For the military archer I also have an archer's short sword and an archer's ax.  I use this stuff for demos only, I have retired from the combat archery - too much dinking around with the rules, the knights hate archers and do everything in their power to remove the activity, and the amo has gotten very expensive, about $5 per and you should have at least 100 shafts when you go to war.  So now days I observe and advise combat archer wannabees.

      kog